Hughesnet Community

Generation 5 daily connectivity loss throughout the day and loss of service every afternoon

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
freedom93
Freshman

Generation 5 daily connectivity loss throughout the day and loss of service every afternoon

I have called tech support about this and had no resolution because the agent said it must be weather related when in fact there were clear blue skies. Typically every day  around 2:00 pm CST,  the system light on my HT2000W modem goes out and I see this diagnostic code:

0000-0000-0000-0049

And the message in red:

X unable to resolve gateway.

X you do not have connectivity to the gateway

I also lose connectivty at night and in the morning – in fact throughout my waking hours. Today it was not so bad as no service, just limited connectivity with code: 0000-0000-0002-0489.  Better than nothing? Not really because I still couldn't download my email or load a single page on the Internet.

I upgraded from Generation 4 to 5 last year, thinking connectivity would be better, but it in fact it is much much worse. Typically I end up using my cellphone as a hotspot instead. It makes me wonder why I am paying for two sources of Internet. But while I do not have a contract on my mobile Internet, I am locked into one with Hughesnet. I would cancel Hughesnet in a  heart beat if I could. 

Please can someone help me.

15 REPLIES 15
MarkJFine
Professor

0049 (and others) basically means your dish can't see the satellite:

1. You may need to have your dish realigned.

2. It's quite possible that trees that weren't full of leaves when the dish was installed. Given the time of year, those leaves may now be blocking it. If so, the trees would have be removed or the dish completely re-sited.

3. At the least, it's also possible the modem just needs to be re-registered, but I don't recommend you try to do that yourself.

The mods will be in on Monday and can better see what might be going on, but it sounds like you may need a tech out there for at least #1 or #2.

@Amanda@Liz

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Thank you. I have already had the dish relocated twice and the problem has been there in all three locations and also in the winter months when there were no leaves on the trees. I wish the solution were just that. I can't cut the trees in question anyway  because they are on a neighboring property that is undeveloped forestry. The system works when the technician is here, a bit like how tooth pain disappears when you go to the dentist. My biggest question is why recently it has been happening every afternoon around the same time: 3-5 pm CST.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@freedom93 wrote:

My biggest question is why recently it has been happening every afternoon around the same time: 3-5 pm CST.

Is the dish looking directly into the sun during this time? What is the signal strength when it happens compared to normal?

BirdDog,

I am not sure of the answer to that. I will have to check.

But since the dish is pointed towards the southern sky where the satellite is, and where the sun always is for part of the day, shouldn't everybody have my problem? If they don't what is different about my dish?

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@freedom93 wrote:

BirdDog,

I am not sure of the answer to that. I will have to check.

But since the dish is pointed towards the southern sky where the satellite is, and where the sun always is for part of the day, shouldn't everybody have my problem? If they don't what is different about my dish?

Honestly no idea if it has anything to do with your problem but came to mind with the specific time frame you cited. Will be curious what you answer to my original questions. The sun does emit a lot of radio noise, maybe cusing your location more problems than others. Again, no idea really.

It might be wifi related. I've had my ethernet cable plugged into LAN 3 all day and had much better connectivity. Maybe there is something wrong with wifi aspect of the modem. But that can't explain the service light going out or the lack of connection to the satellite, presumably

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@freedom93 wrote:

It might be wifi related. I've had my ethernet cable plugged into LAN 3 all day and had much better connectivity. Maybe there is something wrong with wifi aspect of the modem. But that can't explain the service light going out or the lack of connection to the satellite, presumably

Though there can be differences is speed and device connectivity to the modem with a LAN vs WiFi connection, it wouldn't have any bearing on the original issue you presented.  And why it's only happening during that time period... that's a head scratcher, for sure.  Smiley Frustrated

What BirdDog suggested as a possibility could be the cause.  I'm not saying it is.  He'd know more about it than I, and the reps would really be the ones to determine just what is going on.  And though it would seem likely that others around you who have the service would experience the same if that's what was happening, it's possible that there could be a combination of things that could make one system susceptible to it while others aren't, even though they're your neighbors, so to speak.  

I'm following this as I'm quite curious as to what's causing it.  

Do the reps comment on these posts? I woud love to get an answer. 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@freedom93 wrote:

Do the reps comment on these posts? I woud love to get an answer. 

Yes, they do, but it can sometimes take them a day or two.  

@Liz

@Amanda

@Hal

@Wade

@Jorge

Hello freedom93,

My apologies for the delay in response. I've located your account and have run initial diagnostics, which doesn't show anything outstanding that could be causing the problem, but I do see some history of packet loss. I can't make much of it without more research. In the meantime, could you try plugging the modem into a different power outlet and ensuring the coaxial cable connection to your wall and modem are secure?

Thanks

Amanda

I have been away from my computer, sorry for the delay in answering. I have just moved the plug to a different socket and tightened the coaxial. It has made no difference to the fact that right now I have no service; so I am going to post this using the hotspot on my phone. And since I am connected to the hotpot, I cannot run a connectivity test. 

I checked the dish and took a couple of photos, one of the sky that the dish is printed at and one where the position of the sun can be seen. No tree blockage and no direct sun. 

dish and sun.JPGdish view.JPG

These are the connectivity reusltsScreen Shot 2018-06-06 at 4.11.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-06 at 4.11.42 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-06-06 at 4.11.32 PM.png

Hi freedom93,

Thank you for the followup and information. This does help knock out some of the possible causes and I will investigate further today. 

Amanda

Lost service on Friday again. Please help me. It was horrible, My laptop crashed and Applecare couldn't help me because I had no Interent to reinstall the OS.

@Amanda wrote:

Hi freedom93,

Thank you for the followup and information. This does help knock out some of the possible causes and I will investigate further today. 

Amanda