Getting the 12.7.1 status code

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arceus213
Sophomore

Getting the 12.7.1 status code

Since after rain came in our area early this morning, we're commonly getting the 12.7.1 error message. I tried rebooting the modem, as well as unplugging the modem and plugging it in, but the error still commonly appears.

Capture.PNG

This is the current hour history. As you can see, the Uplink is having issues. Whenever the uplink is having issues, the 12.7.1 status code appears.

Capture1.PNG

This is the hourly history. The Xs are when I was sleeping, so the 12.7.1 error must have happened when I was sleeping.

Capture2.PNG

As you can see in the System State Code monitor, the 12.7.1 error message is happening commonly.

Capture3.PNG

And this is the diagnostic code history. The current diagnostic code is 0000-0000-0000-0005. However there are two diagnostic codes that occured before I got that code.

As you can see. the 12.7.1 error message is causing problems for us. If someone can help us with this, that would be appreciated.

Edit: I forgot to say. The current satellite signal is at 104-106.

22 REPLIES 22
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@arceus213

Do you know which satellite and beam you are on?  There is a lot of nasty weather out west today, and it's possible your gateway city is getting hit with this weather.  

What does it say for your Satellite Name and Beam ID in the Satellite box of the following page?  http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/information

With this info I can tell you where your gateway city is.  

Or, you can use Corrosive's page to see for yourself where your gateway city is, then check the weather for that area to see what it's been like today.  Corrosive's page...

https://chucksbasix.com/2017/10/06/how-to-find-your-hughesnet-gateway/#more-189

Note:  His page can take some time to open.  

If it isn't due to weather at your gateway city, the reps will most likely need to take a look to see what's going on.  If this is the case, please make sure to leave your modem plugged in so that they can run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment if they deem it necessary.  They're on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM, but they're almost assuredly off tomorrow due to the holiday.  

@GabeU

I'm on the EchoStar-XVII satellite. The Beam ID is 17.

Capture1.PNG

I also should should show the hourly history. I haven't had any problems since 6 hours ago it seems. The diagnostic code currently is 0000-0000-0000-0005.

The 12.7.1 code means a short 'Aloha' burst was transmitted but not acknowledged by the gateway. It could mean a break in the link between you and the satellite, or between the satellite and the gateway. As @GabeU says, It's very probable there is severe weather interrupting the link at either location given by that as well as the other indicators at 07/03 23:xx GMT.

It's usually a temporary thing that clears when the weather does. The modem just re-acquires the satellite, re-associates with the gateway, thus re-establishing the datalink.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@MarkJFineI see. Also I would like to report another status code that I'm getting.

Capture.PNG

Yes, as you can see, I'm currently getting the 12.1.12 status code, or I was. Now it's back to being normal again.

And while I'm at it, I might as well show the current hour history, hourly history, and current state code monitor:

Capture1.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Capture4.PNG

Well, I'm here to report another status code I got (it was only ten seconds):

Capture.PNG

Yup, I got 11.3.1, and that was when the signal got extremely low it seems.

maratsade

You should wait until the Hughesnet reps can run remote diagnostics on your modem.  They'll be back tomorrow.

@Amanda

@Liz

@maratsadeOkay.

GabeU

@arceus213

Well, your gateway is in Tucson, AZ, and it doesn't look like Tucson has been seeing much in the way of weather than could cause the connection issues you're experiencing, so it's likely that the problem is being caused by something else.  Perhaps one of the things that Mark mentioned.  Probably not buzzards, though.  😛    

I'm sure the reps will be able to determine what's going on.  

I guess I should show where the satellite is.

DSCN0191.JPG

The satellite is on the Garage. And here's the thing. When the installer installed it there back in 2013, he said that we had a clear line of view to the gateway. So unless the trees are blocking it (which they aren't even near the satellite, unless I'm wrong), we don't see trees being the cause. It's however unusual that we started seeing the errors after the rain that came by early Tuesday morning.

@arceus213 wrote:

I guess I should show where the satellite is.

The satellite is on the Garage. And here's the thing. When the installer installed it there back in 2013, he said that we had a clear line of view to the gateway. So unless the trees are blocking it (which they aren't even near the satellite, unless I'm wrong), we don't see trees being the cause. It's however unusual that we started seeing the errors after the rain that came by early Tuesday morning.

Few things come to mind:
1. Have you inspected the roof after the rains? Is it possible the roof was weakened by the rain and the dish was misaligned? Perhaps water got into the connection at the transceiver?

2. I had a clear line of sight in 2013 too, but trees grow very quickly here in Virginia. It only takes a couple of branches to occasionally blow into the path of the signal to really disrupt things. Real hard to tell from the picture, but it almost seems like you could have a relatively low takeoff angle, possibly aimed either close to or just above that one peak off to the right, instead of the low gap in the middle. Partly hard to tell because of the azimuth the dish is tilted at you really can't tell what the true takeoff/boresight is.

Again, if the interruptions persist, recommend you have someone come out and take a look.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@MarkJFineThe roof is fine. There's no damage with it whatsoever. The latter part of what you said is a possibility though.

I have to disagree with what you're saying about the trees though. The problem that we're having literally started happening this week after rain came by. It didn't occur at all last week. Had trees been an issue, we would have had issues before this week. That's why I don't think trees are what's causing the issue. I literally think that the rain that came by Tuesday Morning is what's causing the problem that we're having. And on top of that, I already said that the trees aren't even near the satellite at all. And finally, my parents (yes, I'm the son that's posting this issue), also agree that trees aren't what's causing the issue here.

I guess I could show what's hopefully a better picture of the satellite:

DSCN0192.JPG

And finally, I should post the current state code history:

Capture.PNG

Ignore the 11.2.2 error. That's when rain this morning recently came by. And also ignore the recent 11.3.1 state code that happened again, as that ended around the time the 11.2.2 error ended. And yes, as you can see, I got more 12.7.1 errors.

Still can't tell from that angle, but you'd be surprised. You almost have to look down the boom that the transceiver is on, then up ~20-30 degrees, tilted by however the dish is rotated. If a tree is even close to that, chances are that it can blow into the field fo view and cause an intermittent distrubance.

As far as the timing of the rain, I'm not ruling out something getting soaked. But I'm also not ruling out early summer spurious foliage growth, just based on past experience. Something that gets water in it would not be as intermittent and you might see a drop in signal quality due to the change in the capacitance of the cable.

I remember being just as confident that there was no possible way a tree could be in the way... until I spent beaucoup bucks to take two tall ones out to clear the way. That was based on someone coming out with a proper device to scope out the path to the bird. Once bitten, as they say.

If the admins find nothing serious from a diagnostic, you have trees that are close enough that it would warrant a tech to come out, scope the path with a "bird finder", and possibly do a realignment. If they also find the cable or transceiver is damaged, they would be able to replace it as well. All of this is just speculation until the professionals get involved.

Hello Arceus213, I ran some diagnostics on your system. Based on my results I have scheduled a visit for July 9th between 8:00am-11:00am. If you need to reschedule please call us at 866-347-3292, or you can ask when they call to confirm your appointment.

I was going to post an update tomorrow. However, the fact that we're having more problems than yesterday and the day before is making me post this now.

Tech came over Monday, and replaced the transponder on the satellite as well as realigned the satellite. I was still getting the 12.7.1 error before today though, but it wasn't as bad as tonight. Tonight is really bad though, as we're getting more errors on the uplink than usual. I did check Tucson, Arizona's weather and I did see rain where the gateway is. Whether or not these errors are being caused by rain or not remains to be seen.

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

The second screenshot is the most recent current hour history screenshot.

Capture2.PNG

I've seen that while the system light is off on the modem, the transmit light, instead of blinking normally, will flash on and off repeatably. Tonight, I've also seen that the transmit light and receive light won't blink at all when the system light is off as well, although that may or may not have been caused by rain at the gateway.

@MarkJFineDo you think part of the problems we're still having are still being caused by trees? Dad was planning to cut at least two of them when he gets better, as he's still recovering from injuries, which I really won't go into much detail at all.

P.S. The main good thing about the tech visit is that I've seen the signal go up over 110 more commonly. Though right now, it's currently under that.

@arceus213 wrote:

@MarkJFineDo you think part of the problems we're still having are still being caused by trees? 

What did the tech say when he realigned it? Did he say anything about trying to slot it between the trees? Or anything about it being a 'tight' or 'narrow' shot? If it was going thru that little notch in the trees, they usually want 40 degrees on either side because of possible reflections. Like I said, it's hard to visualize from a picture at that angle, and you had the guy that could tell you one way or another on Monday.

@MarkJFineI didn't really hear him say much about the trees being the cause. If I'm not mistaken, he asked after he was done when the problems started occuring. And I told him when the rain came by Tuesday morning. He then thought that the storms were the cause of our problems.

Still, once Dad gets better, he plans to cut at least two trees. Hopefully by then, we'll stop getting the 12.7.1 status code.

Capture3.PNG

Thought I'd show the current hour history. The good news is that we're not having a lot of problems like we did early tonight, although that could change probably in the future maybe.

Continue to keep an eye on the current hour stuff, but there's no point in posting them here because it lacks context (for us) to the condx at your location.

That said, if you have a breezy period and the stuff starts dropping out again, that's a pretty good indication it's the trees (usually) or a cable with an intermittent short or open that's moving around (rare, but also happens).

Arceus213, please keep an eye on it as the weather at the gateway could also be giving the state code. Arizona is currently experiencing its monsoon season and this week has experienced thunderstorms, dust storms, and rain.

@JorgeYeah. I looked at the weather there and I do see rain around there. Also, since Saturday, I haven't experienced the 12.7.1 error at all. It's like that the error magically went away. And Dad didn't even have to cut trees at all.

maratsade

"Probably not buzzards, though."

I wouldn't discount them, @GabeU.  Some are quite large.  LOL

Hopefully the reps on this community will run some remote diagnostics and figure out what's going on.