cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ghost usage of anytime and bonus data and lots of login issues with the new system

Ghost usage of anytime and bonus data and lots of login issues with the new system

wE ARE A USER OF HUGHESNET SINCE 2011 AND HAVE BEEN VERY UNHAPPY WITH THE SPEED AND THE DATA ALLOWANCE SINCE THEN. WE HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE IN OUR MOUNTIANOUS AREA OTHER THAN SATELLITE INTERNET ACCESS.

I use Hughesnet at our vacation cottage and we found high ghost data usage (ie data depletion) interspersed
1) at different time of the day and night (download) on days when no one is in the cottage (as we leave it for weeks or months at a time).
2) at time of day and night when we are out of the house or not using the computer at all. We can verify this by our activities calendar.
3) ridiculously high usage just to run a website access test. For example, the only thing I did this morning at 10am was to sign on to Custmercare and ran website access test and the two tests used up 415Mbps, that is, half a gigbyte bps out of my monthly 10Gbps anytime data allowance. In other words, that is 1/20 of my allowance or 5% of my allowance. if you run a couple of tests several times a day or night, you can conceivably chew up 1 Gbps or 10% of your anytime data.

This is totally intolerably excessive in terms of usage. Why don't you not count all tests towards data usage quota as this is your utility for users to determine the functionality of your product.

I am going to change my router password as well as do the unplug and replug of my modem to see where these ghosts data usage have gone.

Since there are hundreds of people who complained about this same 'data depletion' issues, it seems clear to me that HughesNet is at fault either on purpose or there's an error in the system of monitoring usage that they don't appear to fix and allow it to perpetuate for years.

There was a similar situation with a couple of the two largest wireless phone companies a while back who purposely chalked up unused data against the users and a class action suit was filed against these two companies. I am wondering if Hughesnet is fraudulently metering up users' data usage in order to get more revenue from users' need to purchase more data.

PLEASE NOTE: CHARGING $50 - $60 FOR ONLY 5-10Gbps ANYTIME DATA IS DAYLIGHT ROBBERY  WHILE PROVIDING RIDICULOUSLY LOW DATA BANDWIDTH IN THIS DAY AND AGE OF HIGH GRAPHICS WEB PAGES AND ANY PICTURES OR VIDEO ATTACHMENTS. IT IS INSUFFICIENT TO CONDUCT ANY LEVEL OF NOMINAL USERS' NEEDS TO COMMUNICATE ON THE INTERNET WITH SUCH LOW DATA ALLOWANCE.

IT IS EVEN LOWER THAN WIRELESS PHONE DATA PLANS. PLEASE RE-EXAMINE YOUR PLANS AND OFFER MORE UP TO DATE APPROPRIATE PLANS. EVEN DOUBLING THE CURRENT ALLOWANCE IS INADEQUATE.

RECOMMEND YOU RAISE THE CURRENT PLANS FOR 5Gbps AND 10 Gbps TO 20Gbps AND 40Gbps AT THE VERY MINIMUM FOR THE SAME RATE.

THE USERS WHO HAVE TO SUBSCRIBE TO SATELLITE AND YOUR COMPANY IS YOUR CAPTURED AUDIENCE AND WITH YOUR MONOPOLY OR OLIGOPOLY POSITION, YOU CAN EITHER SQUEEZE THE USERS AND BE HATED BY YOUR USERS OR PROVIDE THE BEST SERVICE BASED ON USERS' NEEDS (AND CONTINUALLY KEEP UP WITH THE STATE OF THE INTERNET) AND BE THE DARLING OF THE USERS COMMUNITY WHERE YOU WILL SEE 5 STARS (*****) LOVEFEST COMMENTS.

YOU CHOOSE WHICH ONE YOU WILL WANT TO BE. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Besides, the above, your website doesn't even work correctly,
1)UNABLE TO SIGN IN -  I was not able to sign on using your login procedure because it kept disallowing my password. Finally, had to call and speak to someone from the Philippines, (who put me on hold for every single question to get an answer from someone else). She had to sign me in and register me supposedly onto the new 'system'. All the registration information such as passwords, 3 security questions and other required registration data had to be given to her to enter. At my end, the registration screen only asked for 2 information - SAN # and phone number, which when you click SUBMIT, takes you to an error screen that says, "Additional Data Needed" and stopped there. How can you get into your Customer Care screen if you cannot sign in. How can you put out a new 'system' when the Re-registration doesn't even work. For that matter, why can't you pick up the info from the old 'system' and port them over to the new system. Why put the burden on the user when it is your internal change (and to top it off, the re-registration doesn't even work) Atrocious !!!
2) LACK ACCURATE INFORMATION TO GET INTO THE CORRECT CUSTOMERCARE SCREEN -
I am using GEN3 because GEN4 is not available in my area. So, once you  'SIGN IN", you would naturally choose GEN3 to see your customercare screen. Doesn't that make sense.
No, I have to choose GEN4 to see my CustomerCare Screen.
3) NO REFRESH ABILITY -
When you want to refresh your data usage screen, I was told to choose Manage My Account - which is a different TAB on the same screen and return to the Usage screen to refresh that screen. (this is a work around due to a lack of a Refresh option). Instead of taking me to the Manage My Account screen, it LOGGED me OUT and I had to re-login. SOFTWARE BUG??

Appears to me HN's NEW SYSTEM is very buggy. At the very least, your user interface should have been properly tested before you release it.

I have never signed onto a website as buggy as HughesNet. It's a shame on your part to be so shoddy.

We want you to be a well run company so we can enjoy the product you offer. Can you please relook at your product function, your IT organization as well as your marketing and sales organization by improving them to the standard most companies who offer internet services are. You will experience significantly lower requirement for customer support which will reduce your cost of operation and increase your margin without squeezing your users.

I hope someone at the decision level will read this sincerely written comments and take heed very soon.
17 REPLIES 17
Alum

Re: Ghost usage of anytime and bonus data and lots of login issues with the new system

Hi herbert,

I see this is your first post so welcome to the community! I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this. I'm glad that you are familiar with our modem test. . Please post your screenshots and take care in cropping out your SAN to protect your privacy. This thread has a perfect example of what we're looking for: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/per-your-data-usage-troubleshooting-graphic-our-d...

As for your inability to log in, I'm a bit confused. Were our agents able to allow you access? Also what browser are you using when you attempt to access our website? Do you experience the same thing in other browsers? 

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Thank you,
Chris

Re: Ghost usage of anytime and bonus data and lots of login issues with the new system

Chris, you just did the very thing that Herbert 26 was talking about instead of taking responsibility for the problem as a representative of your company your asking what browser he is using. Wow ,I am in my 5th day of no phone service despite my many calls to you people I have reached the point where I will know be contacting the many News organizations here in Orlando, FL. along with the State Attorneys Office and file a complaint regarding the switch and bait that your company uses to get customers to upgrade to a more expensive plan that is useless. I will continue to post updates here.
Associate Professor

Eliu Lopez,

Actually, Chris was attempting to figure out details as they are not mentioned in the OP from what I can see.

As for your problems... Instead of attempting to derail someone else's topic, or make posts in other topics that provide no valuable information to them, I suggest creating your own topic, outlining your issues, and include ALL details possible.

Charles R. Scott, I am not trying to derail anyone's topics just trying to express my experience with this company . Apparently you don't understand what everyone else is going thru for their monies ,oh as far as valuable information about this situation I am just sharing my thoughts. So please keep your smug comments to yourself. I have commented on my own topic but I get the same crap from them as I got from you. You must be a Hughesnet plant.PLEASE! !! Get a life. #JUSTSAYING.
Associate Professor

Chris, thanks for your reply, although it is a canned answer to all data disappearing issues to appease the user.

I am doing what I said in my initial post what I planned to do - that is, unplug my modem and record the usage of total "Anytime" and "bonus" data used, both before and after I unplug and re-plug the modem. I wasn't able to take the screen shot because I didn't know how (but will look it up on the internet - but that is not what  will solve unexplained data depletion).
1) I unplugged the HN9000 modem from 7:50am MST(approx time - give or take a few minutes) till 10pm - a total of over 14 hrs.
2) During this time period, of course, the hourly usage bar chart didn't show any data usage for both upload and download.
3) Although usage prior, from 12am (midnight) to 7:50am from were incorrect because all computers and cell phones were turned off and the bar chart still showed usage for both upload and download.
4) BUT, the total "Anytime Data" left went from 2,646Mbps to 2,627Mbps - 19Mbps were gone when the entire system was shut down. Where did the 19Mbps go?
5) This is nearly 0.01Gb for just half a day of depletion rate. At this rate, extrapolating, it is 0.02Gb per day or could it be even more? For 30 days, it is 0.6Gb, that is 6% of a 10Gb data quota. This is significant without including consistent usages shown even when the usage is completely quiet.
6) Based on the above, my guesstimate is a very possible 10 times the 6% loss, resulting in 50-60% disappearing data. No wonder this significant disappearance of data became noticed by users.
7) SOMETHING IS VERY WRONG.

CHRIS, IT IS BEST YOU ELEVATE THIS ISSUE TO THOSE WAY ABOVE YOU.

I understand you wish to see the usage screen shots. What I don't understand is how can these screen shots help you take care of my problem because
a)  the above exercise already proved data is being siphoned when the modem is turned off
b) and there were as much as 100-250 Mbps usage (size of some hour bars) even on days we weren't even in our vacation home. No devices were connected to the modem and router at all while no one is here. Since you only have capability to show 30 days of usage, when I began looking into the usage I was able to see usages all the way back to June 15. We got here on June 21, 2015, there were lots of data usage on days prior to that date all the way to the earliest accessible date of June 15.

So, why were there any usage at all????? This is proof positive that Hughesnet is charging up data usage against the user (me) without the user actually using the data.

Why haven't HN solved this pervasive problem going back as far back as more than 10 years ago based on users' complaints.

You want to put the burden on the users to prove that their claims have no merits when there are already  hard proofs over and over again .
CAN YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY????

iNCORRECT DATA RECORDED BY HOUR - I also notice that the hours which show usage happen to be hours no one was on the computer. Meaning, your data usage recording by hour is inaccurate. For example, I was accessing the network at 10-11:30am and it showed little or no usage at 10am but a whole lot at 11-12pm. None shown for period between 12-1pm even though I was using the internet during that period. This happened throughout each 24 hr period.
AGAIN, CAN YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY?????

Your answer to my post is pure vanilla answer which you gave every single post concerning disappearing data. You must have known by now the cause of the DATA LEAKAGE, or PHANTOM DATA USAGE or UNEXPLAINABLE DATA DEPLETION.
PLEASE DO SOMETHING TO FIX THIS PROBLEM.

PURPOSEFUL INFLATION OF DATA USAGE - I sincerely hope this heavily prevalent issue of data disappearing experienced by so many users is not a conscious effort on HN's part to inflate usage. If so, it is illegal. (something ATT got caught doing with their wireless data usage a few years ago by the FTC).

MANY WAYS TO STEALTHFULLY RUN UP DATA USAGE -  for example, apply all utility handshakes done by HN essential to satelite communication to the users' data quota, rounding usage to the nearest Mega bits or tens of Mega bits. All these and more could explain upload and download data usage even when no devices are connected to the modem. There is most likely more ways you can deplete users' data that we have no way of knowing.

Instead of putting the monkey on the users' back, please fix the problem. 

On the issue of difficulties signing on to your website.

I use Firefox to access your website. In response to Login, the screen provides a choice to REGISTER to the new system or sign in using the old Login. Neither worked for me. The old Login continually to reject my userid which is my email address. So, forget about getting to the password.
When I tried to REGISTER to the new system, there were only two entries on the pop up window - SAN and PHONE NUMBER. When you hit SUBMIT, another window popped up saying MORE INFO NEEDED and that was where there were no ability to move forward. You are just stuck at this screen. At this point, I didn't quite understand what the heck you are saying. You wanted more info and where would I enter them? Are you pausing to go look for more information which is the most likely next step thinking the new system went to look for info from the old system. Nonetheless, there were no movement.
This is when I called HN for support. When she noticed what happened, she said she will REGISTER for me. Which she proceeded to do. The exchange was very awkward because I couldn't understand what she was doing and she kept putting me on hold.
(the entire process took nearly 2 hrs - plus the 1 hr I spent, prior, trying to get into HN's website). After she got through the security questions, she said I was registered but I still couldn't get in. She again said she had to do certain things for me. All along, I asked why I couldn't do it myself. No answer provided. Very odd that a user had to call customer service to Register.

Once I finally got in, I encountered being bounced out of the website when I tried to move from tab to tab. I had to Login several times. For example, to refresh my usage, she told me to go to a different tab and then return to the usage tab. When I click the tab next to it, I got taken to Login screen. Happened a few times. WHY such odd website behavior??? She couldn't understand either.

She went ahead and Registered me again as I had to provide the same answers again and after that all seems to perform as expected.
 WHY CAN'T I, THE USER, DO MY OWN REGISTRATION?
WHY THE NEED TO RE-REGISTER AGAIN WHEN YOU ALREADY HAVE ALL MY INFO FROM THE OLD SYSTEM?
IF YOU NEED TO ADD MORE SECURITY QUESTIONS, THAT IS ANOTHER STORY - IT IS CALLED UPDATE.

Only HN will know what is wrong here. But on the user's side, it is pure hell having to spend 3 hrs just to log into Hughes net.

Along the way, you make references to have the user check System Support Center. How does a user know what that is and where to find that Center? You throw names only you understand but to the user it caused total bewilderment. I spent over 35 years in Systems and IT with an early background in computer software programming from machine language to high level language before becoming an MIS director for a Fortune 100 company and then own my software company for close to 20 years. I am not new to using computers and your user interface is not friendly at all. This is the window to your company and you need to make it usable and provide as much working information as possible. Your website operates like earlier websites of 2 decades ago. Not intuitive - very cryptic and lacking in providing indepth data users need.

Here are some of my frustrations when I look at the usage information
- Cropping off historical usage data so users can no longer see more than 30 days back is plain wrong.
- Not being able to see monthly usage picture in one single bar chart is wrong too. You bill users by monthly usage, then you should be able to show the entire month on one screen not enter tediously one day at a time.
- Not combining the uploads and the downloads in one chart too is wrong. So much easier for users to see the combined up and down traffic in one chart. Stack the bar of both directions data traffic for each hour so you know the combined total.
- Refine your chart with horizontal lines to make it easier to see how much is used. Make it more graphically accurate and not pretty pictures. We are being measured and the measurement must be accurate.
- Have numerical usage info for each bar per day. Plus cumulated running totals starting the first day of the month you begin counting towards the quota. ie, two numbers per bar. And include remaining data quota.
- Same as above for monthly bar charts.
- Allow key points expansions, where applicable, to expand any data points.

I started to use your website a few days ago and these are the experience I have come across. Haven't used other features on the website much so I cannot comment on the rest of the website.

My intent is to be constructive and give you feedback which I hope you will use to your advantage for the benefit of the users community.

I hope one day soon, you will be able to provide users with unlimited data plans. Having a data quota and so low at that, makes it so uncomfortable for users to keep looking over one's shoulders wondering how much data bandwidth have been chewed up surfing the net. That is archaic.

Please come up with a new revolutionary business model that is a win-win one for HN and the users community. Imagine the great increase in subscribers if you do from defecting users from other satellite internet providers alone not to count many more potential subscribers standing on the sidelines afraid to sign up due to bad press. That is just a start.

Appreciate if you can reply with concrete resolution to the data depletion problem. Thank you.

I am excited to find your post (but sorry for your troubles). I am not very tech savvy and have been struggling to try to find a reason and assistance for why all my data is being used even when my family is out of town and have our devices with us. It is very frustrating but it seems that I am definitely not alone. In just about 5 minutes on this site I have found multiple people with the same issue.

Like you Herbert, I have been experiencing the same issue of ghost usage and my monthly bill is $73.00 per month. You are correct, it's highway robbery with HughesNet. Regardless of how many times I call customer support to get this issue solved, nothing ever gets solved. I like your suggestion to start unplugging the HughesNet modem for a time period and record the stats of data usage. I will be doing that as well, so thank you for that suggestion. I also live in a very remote area (a ghost town) and the choice of internet service providers is that of 2 companies, one being HughesNet. The other company will more than likely be getting my business once my contract with HN is over, unless they make some serious changes.

Maybe all of us customers who are experiencing issues with HN and nothing ever gets solved redirect our complaints to the FTC, with evidence of course. Such as screen shots, documentation of anytime we call customer service to have our issues fixed, the printed emails that we are sent in regards to the issue we call the customer service about, etc. It certainly seems like that will be our only answer to lighting a fire under HN ass to take our issues serious and get them solved.

To any of you who feel I should start my own post in regards to this topic, why? What does it matter? We are all experiencing the same problems so I feel I have the right to express myself here, on this post as well as any other post of the same issue.

FIX THE PROBLEM OF DISAPPEARING DATA HUGHESNET AND REIMBURSE US FOR THAT DATA THAT WE DID NOT USE!!

Herbert226, Liz johnson, I too have been experiencing the same problem with HN and instead of help I get a call regarding my billing. I have contacted HN and advised them that unless they can correct the problem that my next step will be to contact the Florida states attorney's office and file a formal complaint along with the BB. I have also been told to start my own post how stupid is that. These people are straight up stealing our hard earned money. They come on here for that nonsense but cannot or will not address our problems. Liz I'm with you about filing complaints with the FTC.