My third full month with HN is coming to a close. So far I have a couple complaints. First is that I was assured by the sales rep and the installer I would not see speeds under 1 Mbps when restricted, WRONG! I am happy it is not 5 AM until 12 AM every day like my former ISP, but during peak usage I am frequently below 1 Mbps, more frequently than I was told or expecting, which brings me to my main complaint, the amount of time I am restricted.
I may be "new" to HN, but I am not new to satellite internet. I understand data conservation and usage etc so please hold the "newbie" comments about data theft, I am password protected and have no neighbors, Other than my hardwired PC nothing has free access to my wifi. I dont have any new programs or apps and my PC is 10 years old still running Win 7 and everything is set to manually update only. With that said my online habits consist of email, social media, and web surfing, the last 7 years I had no trouble barely making it the month with 10G on my last plan. I went with the 20G a month plan here.
Last month I went all willy nilly watching Facebook videos, and a few Youtube videos and used the 20G with almost a week left. This month I have done NOTHING! Yet I am still on par to expend my data within the 30 days! The ONLY change to the system is my ISP but my data usage doubled?? 7 years with Viasat and went 3 1/2 to 4 weeks on 10G and now I am burning 20G in the same amount of time?? Just by switching carriers? IM NOT BUYING IT! Something is not adding up.
Now I must start investigating and tracking every bit of data usage and get to the botttom of this issue. I was honestly hoping to leave this type of nonsense behind me when I left Viasat!
If you don't already have it, I would install Glasswire on the computer so you know exactly how much data it's using. You mentioned two computers in your prior post. If the other is Windows based and you use it, I would install it on that one, as well. There is also a version for Android based devices, so if your previously mentioned phone is Android based, I'd install it on that, too. The Google Play link to the app is on the Glasswire site, toward the bottom of the main page.
This won't be able to tell you about data that's already been used, of course, but it should help going forward.
Edit: I should add that you'll want to set the options in Glasswire to "Incoming & Outgoing" and "External". This way it shows both the upload and download data combined, and only that which is via the internet, not what's being transferred back and forth internally. I'm not sure if the Android app has similar options, but if it does, you'll want to set them to the same.
It works with Windows 7. Nothing prior, as of now, but it does work with Windows 7.
Edit: Initially tagged the wrong person.
HEY GABE! Yes the 2nd is a laptop win 10 which remains shut down 99.9% of the time. The wife breeds rabbits and the only time it gets used is when she needs to work on pedigrees. She has a phone, I do not and it is set to manually connect to wifi. My printer is powered down until needed ... to print her pedigrees. My Firestick is junk and not hooked up, my DirecTV is not connected and my PS3 is set to manually connect.
I need to do something to **bleep** several times to be sure everything I update remains "manual updates only" but apparently something snuck by me.
You got hit by the bleep bug!
For some reason, the system has been acting up over the last couple of months, arbitrarily bleeping completely innocuous things. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.
I hope you can figure out what it is that snuck by, or maybe even keeps sneaking by.