cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good News For HughesNet Voice Users - Take your Phone with You When You Travel

Advanced Tutor

Good News For HughesNet Voice Users - Take your Phone with You When You Travel

I've been meaning to test this for a while.

FWIW:

I've confirmed that HughesNet Voice Users can connect their activated HughesNet Voice ATA (analog telephone adapter)  and make and receive calls through other broadband Internet connections when traveling, and not exclusively just when the ATA is connected through the HughesNet modem.

Of course, the quality of the call will depend on the quality of the broadband connection, but we've tested it here on the Comcast Cable connection in our office and it works just fine. (running at 19 Mbps down and 3 Mbps up)

A few notes:
  1. The ATA may take several minutes to find and communicate with the remote voice server whenever you change to another Internet Service Providers. You'll know you've connected when the TEL1 green light goes on. 
  2. Your voice calls through another service provider, won't have the advantage of the HughesNet system's QoS (Quality of Service) that gives priority to voice data over other computer traffic.
  3. You will need to make a wired connection to the ATA's INTERNET port just as you do now. Many hotels have wired network connections in the rooms and business centers. (There may be a way to use a small wireless-to-wired bridge, or use Micro$oft's Internet Connection Sharing to make a connection through a laptop's wireless connection, but I have not had time yet to test these options).
  4. You'll need to pack a telephone handset with you. There are some good, cheap small ones out there.
  5. This should be obvious to most but I should point it out here: This won't affect your HughesNet Data since you aren't going through the HughesNet system.
Enjoy Smiley Happy
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
8 REPLIES 8
Associate Professor

Re: Good News For HughesNet Voice Users - Take your Phone with You When You Travel

Also, you can't just take the ATA to another Hughes resident and hook it up and expect it to work properly... The modem must be configured to work properly with the ATA when it comes to using an ATA on Hughes.

Re: Good News For HughesNet Voice Users - Take your Phone with You When You Travel

And it you use 911 and hang up.. They will respond to your house. Not your location.
Advanced Tutor

Takeaway: Don't ever have a reason to call 911 Smiley Happy
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com

I did a reinstall for a couple that had the VOIP service. They moved from a 209 area code to a 831 area code. They asked me about the E911. I did not have a answer for them. I asked a few people but never got a response on it. Still don't have a answer how they handle that. They kept there 209 are code to.

Hi

Just want to chime in and say this is not officially recommended by us - do so at your own risk. Like gokartergo24 mentions, if you call 911 they will go to your registered 911 address for that phone number, not where you actually are (unless you specify if possible). That is the biggest problem I see here, which happens to be very dangerous. 

C0RR0SIVE's statement is also correct - while it may work on other providers, moving an ATA from one Hughes service to another will not work unless that HughesNet customer also has Voice service. Tricky.

Amanda
Senior

@Amanda

Thats good that the location is registered with the ATA device.

Sounds like area code and number and Caller ID are also registered with the ATA device.

Somebody, at activation, entered the area code and phone number. I did not, but I did enter the phone home location address and my name associated with the ATA device.

Folks sometimes have all their home phonecalls forwarded to another location (another number) so when they answer the call, the caller would assume that they were in the house.

My question;

After My OLD ph# is ported (transfered) to the ATA device, will the Caller ID information also follow along?

At least My ID wont say Blacksburg VA anymore. I live in Winchester VA.
 -bob
Tags (2)
Associate Professor

Highlighted
Senior

Thanks Corrosive,

I guess if it changes to Winchester, that's better than nothing.

If someone can associate that number with the word Winchester,

why cant someone type the word Bob in its place? fewer letters?

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

Usually with VOIP services, the city where your number is registered is what shows...