cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Riddance H-net

Good Riddance H-net

I've learned a lot about the predator/prey relationships between ISP providers and their rural Prey.  With the lack of choice, it's totally acceptable to charge $90/mo for 15G of data.  1G of data is equivalent to 1,024 MB, but H-net uses the 1,000MB/GB scale. 
That's not my point.  This is my soap box, and I just wanted to add yet another dissatisfied voice to the community of Hughesnet customers.  I'm happily going without internet indefinitely.  I will incur a $205 cancellation fee according to my conversation with an account manager (case#50431061).  That sure beats giving H-net another $800 to ride out my contract. 
I really hope that Internet Service Providers become competitive with each other, and Rural Customers are given Choice Soon.
19 REPLIES 19
Assistant Professor

Re: Good Riddance H-net

In the area I live in in I'd be extremely surprised if anything other than satellite comes along in my lifetime.

Love how people love to single out HughesNet for capped data and cost. I know this is their site but people never mention the other satellite company or cell phone data packages when ranting.

Congrats on getting ground based internet.
Freshman

No he's going to go without internet, cutting the line. Maybe he'll go to dial up. Oh well, to each his own.
Assistant Professor

Oh, I missed that little bit. Well, his choice to live in the 80's, bottom line no one is being forced to use HughesNet. For what it does for me it is worth it, pricey but worth it. My choice.

I feel exactly the same way as he does about hughesnet. I cancelled by contract early due to poor service, I never used data with any company before stating that 2 weeks into the month I used my 15GB. It's not possible considering I used data from my cell phone provider, it would always show me using Internet in the wee hours of the night when I was in bed. Not to mention they would say I was a month behind when my payments came out automatically and took it twice in one month before. Their customer service sucks just as bad. I am without wifi in my home and I wish they had more choices available than satellite for rural communities.

Hughes Net is terrible. If my husband did not have to have it for work, we would be gone as well. They lied to us from the start. We explained how much data we needed, and they said it was no problem. The data goes so fast, much faster than the data on my phone and the bonus bytes. They know we have no other choices out in the country. I have heard so many complaints. In fact, I can't think of a single person that I know that does not hate Hughes Net.
Assistant Professor

I can only speak for myself and it has worked well for the years I've had it. Had water in the radio on legacy system a long time ago and a few hiccups with speed on Gen4 but overall been very reliable and fast. Again, that's my experience. Those with good experience don't generally post here.
Associate Professor

If you knew how much data you needed then why didn't you buy the data plan to cover that much data?  That's like telling the guy at the gas pump, "I need 20gallons of fuel to fill my car, but I will only buy 10" then come back later and say, "why didn't you put 20 gallons in? I told you I needed 20 gallons!".

Also, data is data, it's no different on the phone or computer.  It's just that your computer is doing more than you realize.
Alum

Hi ajnedolast,

Thank you for posting. We appreciate your feedback and concerns. We understand your frustration with how all satellite internet works. However that is the nature of the beast. The cost for launching a satellite which cannot be expanded does have its limitations. Which is why most of our installs are provided for free through promotions and discounts. Although that is also why we have early termination fees. We're sorry if we are not able to meet your expectations. Hopefully other options come to your area that are able to better satisfy your needs. 

- Chris
Assistant Professor

Cooper61, go here and click on the Low, Normal and High buttons.  https://www.cableone.net/pages/datacalculator.html