Hughesnet Community

Good morning, any update on my extreme data usage, Amanda?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lab-Lover

Good morning, any update on my extreme data usage, Amanda?

Hi Amanda,
Any updates on my extreme data over usage? I was doing a search of another topic, and came across post after post of people with very similar problems, some of them over 2 years old. So, this has been an ongoing problem? I am not talking about the people who did not understand data usage, I am talking about people who lost huge amounts of Data when it was not physically possible as we did?

On another note... with all of this data monitoring I am doing. I am noticing, we are not using a LOT of data! In fact, I think we may not need the 50GB/50GB plan we have. IF---I see this reoccurring for several months, am I able to downgrade back to my original plan, with no penalty? I looked in the contract and there is no mention of it. Again, I would only do this if I am assured thru my data monitoring that we wont go over...   I take recordings of my data, three times a day. I realize that the data monitor is not the perfect tool, but it is the only one I have. I also document ANY TIME we may do something that would be a download. I have almost gone thru one spiral notebook. I imagine by the time my two years is up, I will have a bookshelf of HN data.

Thanks for eveything

Kim
4 REPLIES 4
Amanda

Hi Kim

I am not sure I had mentioned if we were looking into this in some way after determining we'd lock your network down and go from there... The last update I have from you is that setting up the iCloud the way you did helped out with the data problem and you had not lost any "chunks"

I was doing a search of another topic, and came across post after post of people with very similar problems, some of them over 2 years old. So, this has been an ongoing problem? I am not talking about the people who did not understand data usage, I am talking about people who lost huge amounts of Data when it was not physically possible as we did?
If there are any recent posts, I'd like to see them and make sure they are addressed by us then as we do not currently have anything like this in our radar.

In regards to changing your plan, you can do that at any time without penalty of losing a discount or increasing your commitment. Be sure to note that "something that would be a download" counting to your usage is very inaccurate - uploads count too, as well as basically anything that using the internet (browsing, opening new pages, updating a ticker). 

We can't guarantee that you won't go over your data as you mentioned if you change plans, as the data usage is dependent on the user and not the provider. 

Thanks
Amanda
Lab-Lover

how do I go back to the conversations that you and I had privately? I cant find them in my "activity" profile? are they able to be accessed? Thank you
Lab-Lover

Amanda,
I can not tell you how disappointed I am over this entire "Data Loss" issue with Hughes Net. I also have to say, I am very disappointed how it has been handled thus far by you. I feel as if the entire situation has been dropped, either by you, or somebody else.

The reason the data has had no "chunks" lost and my data use is VERY LOW currently is because EVERYTHING IS TURNED OFF or LIMITED on my system at your request! I do not intend to have my "data" controlled under these pretenses. I am currently not using things on my devices that I specifically purchased them for! I had asked Chris, if this was expected to be a "forever" thing and he said, "No, only while we are determining where the data leak is coming from".  So is this the way it will be solved? Just encourage us to not use our devices? That is not a solution!

So, here I am 3 weeks in to the process waiting for a solution, and you send me this email?

FROM AMANDA-
"I am not sure I had mentioned if we were looking into this in some way after determining we'd lock your network down and go from there... The last update I have from you is that setting up the iCloud the way you did helped out with the data problem and you had not lost any "chunks""

Amanda, please, My data "Problem" is not a minor leak!  Let me remind you, we are talking about 46GB of Data over 20 accumulated hours. JUST about everyone can agree, that is a MASSIVE amount of data loss, attributed to a household of two people and some basic devices and NO STREAMING of movies, BECAUSE of the BUFFERING... that I have not even begun to investigate. I like to take care of one thing/problem at a time.

Amanda, You indicated in several emails that you were looking for the tech "Martin", etc. Honestly, the way I was treated by 4 different techs, and this is the response?  By me shutting down my icloud, this is the complete solution? No Maam. If I have to be here for the duration of a contract, then, I am not going away. I am not going to sit back and think it is "all ok", when the solution inconveniences me, and disables my devices.  

So, I urge you to re think that this "data problem" is rectified and fixed. I also urge you to reconsider that fact that I was harassed for not having kids, my husband was accused of doing immoral things, and I was accused of somehow using a ridiculous amounts of data, all by your techs... seriously? Again, I am not going away. 

Listed below is the transcript of our conversations, I did remove the topic of your root canal.  PLEASE ANSWER my questions BELOW--- I have HIGHLIGHTED them so you cant miss them. 

7/27/16  AMANDA

Sometimes you will experience that "out of the norm" data usage - judging by past case notes, looks like there was some times where it was many gigs of data. To be straight, its hard to figure out what it is way after its happened, but if it does happen we can take a look within that day or day after and try to narrow it down.

I haven't found the Martin person yet, but I most certainly will. 

THIS IS MY NOTE TO AMANDA, TODAY, AUGUST 15th, 2016. I NOTIFIED HUGHES NET OF THE ISSUE ON JULY 19th! THE DATA USAGE CONTINUED UNTIL JULY 17TH!  I NOTIFIED HUGHES NET BY EMAIL On THE 19TH! TWO DAYS AFTER THE LAST OCCURANCE OF HUGE DATA LOSS! HOW AM I GOING TO DISCOVER IT MUCH QUICKER EXCEPT IF I LITERALLY SIT AT MY COMPUTER 24/7!!!!

7/27/16 KIM

I have explored and researched what turning the iCloud Drive off does. Some of the things it does are the exact reason we are using the iPhones and pads that are compatible. We sync our calendars all the time. We sync our contacts, as well. As for the photos, this is a big issue. We sync them. But, is also do a lot of scrapbooking for me, for gifts and for consignment or for private orders. This involves having access to my photos on both my devices thru the cloud. Many times I will ask clients who I am doing a book for to send me 20-25 of their favorite pics, then I adjust them, size them, etc to put in to the book. I use my pad and phone for this exclusively, I then download what pics I need (usually from the cloud or one of my devices) and throw it to a specialized printer hooked up to my pad and phone. So, if I have the drive off , I can't share this stuff? 

My other concern is... "Find my IPad" or IPhone is disabled. 

So, I guess I am asking, are you saying these need to be off all the time, or just while we are working on our data issue? 

AMANDA NEVER ANSWERED THIS QUESTION???? I WANT TO USE THE DEVICES AS THEY WERE INTENDED, NOT AS HUGHES NET DEEMS APPROPRIATE.

8/1/16 KIM

SO, I feel like I learned a lot over the weekend as far as how much data is "normal and expected" for us.

In your search for "Martin" the tech...who was just weird...have you found anything? I found an email, that I had forgotten I received the night I sent my original email, it appears to be one of those auto generated/form emails? However it is signed by a Victoria Miller and there IS a case number assigned to it! . The caseID number is 55228658  (It actually says, Current CaseID 55228658 M-Type, Case Status : Closed)  Maybe that will help?!

8/1/16 AMANDA

Still haven't found Martin. 

I did look on my iPad this weekend and saw that you can go into each individual app and set the cloud drive backup settings. 

What we want to accomplish is normalizing your data - so after doing these cloud drive changes, have you had any big chunks of data lost? I can look at your system again and see what data types I can spot.

8/1/16KIM

Yes, I spent a LOT of time, learning and applying what I learned to all of my devices. I believe everything is set to what we "need", on our devices. 

1- NO AUTO BACKUPS to the Cloud. They are going to be manually done by me, once a week for each device during BB (Bonus Bytes) time. (4 devices)

2-The Icloud drive is only being utilized for specific needed applications. Period. I dont know exactly how many apps that is, but need to check. it is greatly reduced.

3- I created my own apple ID so that my devices and Tom's devices are now "separated". In other words, just because I do something to mine, his device wont do it too. This has been the BIGGEST HEADACHE and NIGHTMARE and I am still working out the kinks. We have been using the same apple ID for YEARS... and we did lose some things in the process...

4- Direct TV wifi is OFF--- permanently

5- anytime, we "think" we may be creating a large download, we are documenting it as to day/date/time. 

6- auto play off in all devices and all websites and apps.

8/2/16 KIM MORE

NO CHUNKS LOST---  only "accountable usage", especially when I downloaded the new apple update and backed up to the cloud on all devices between the hours of 7:25AM-12:44PM on Sunday, 7/31

8/3/16 KIM MORE

by my VERY CRUDE calculations, I used approx 3.7GB when I did all of the downloads and updates during those times above

8/4/16 AMANDA LAST CONVERSATION

So sounds like things are getting more under control. I'm sorry you had to go through that headache of the separate accounts, but hopefully it is going to be worth it when you are saving up the gigs! 

Like Ive said.. if there is any chunks you are suspicious of, let me know right away and we can take a look at try to figure out what it was. 

AGAIN--- I can not tell you,, how disappointed I am in you, and your response. I TRULY believed you were going to help and get to the bottom of this. Now, I see, i was expected to "go away"... i am here, and I plan to stay here, until I am satisfied with the solutions.

Kim Byrne

561-685-8872

Amanda

Hi Kim

If this is truly the case, then I encourage you to please create a new public post outlining what you would like us to do for you. A new moderator will assist you. I am sorry I was unable to help.

Amanda