cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good news for us

Tutor

Good news for us

A big ol' Vz tower went up this month and it's less than a quarter mile away. Or 8¾ miles closer than the previously nearest one. I bet my 4G LTE gets a lot more potent as we leave "can you hear me now" mode.

All they have to do now is finish running the fiber from down by I-10. Finally... we have viable options Smiley Happy

11 REPLIES 11
Tutor

Re: Good news for us

That is good news. Thanks.

Too bad about your Vz. We can see the towers our phones use but they're so far away, the phone has to be near a window to get tests that peak around15 Mbps. Move away from the window to the other side of the house and it may drop to 1 Mbps. Still much better than what a 3G phone can get which is nothing but 1x.

Tutor

I definitely have excellent line of sight to the new tower next door.

I imagine Cradlepoint will have a nice router available for 5G if and when...

Vz los 1.jpgVz los 2.jpg

Assistant Professor

@jezra wrote:

@GW Wow, that is good line of sight. Are there windows in your home that have line of sight with the tower? 

Kinda doubt he'll have to worry about being near a window. At that distance and line of site probably will get a signal using the fillings in his teeth while using the toilet.  Smiley LOL

Tutor

They're at a fairly steep angle but yes, I can look out the window and see the tower. With a little tree trimming there can be an absolutely clear shot at the antenna array for fixed 5G.

Associate Professor

I am a bit jelly...

I recently got a new phone because of new job being so far, found out it has tethering, and I have just 1 bar of 4G LTE, get a lousy 4Mbps or so, but the latency is sooo nice.  I actually switch my PC to that via USB Tethering when I want to game, as I don't need high speeds, just low latency.

Tutor

If you have an android you can use Network Cell Info Lite for free. It's a utility for LTE. It has a gauge for main and neighbor towers, moving map display and lots of nice features. If you're fringy, small differences in phone location can make a huge difference in performance. My samphone tethers just fine with a high quality 30' USB cable. Nice if I need to run my desktop with the phone modem but I just hook it to a laptop that sits in a room facing the towers and connect a HDMI to the home entertainment system. Maybe after the new tower comes online I'll try to figure out a way to make the phone feed my network

I get my 10 GB of Vz data from a reseller that doesn't allow hotspotting or tethering so their phones don't offer the capability. I use a program called Klink to turn a phone into a modem so it can feed a laptop when traveling. I bought that for $5 and it works like a champ for tethering while staying stealthy. I've been using it for five years.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor III

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

I am a bit jelly...

I recently got a new phone because of new job being so far, found out it has tethering, and I have just 1 bar of 4G LTE, get a lousy 4Mbps or so, but the latency is sooo nice.  I actually switch my PC to that via USB Tethering when I want to game, as I don't need high speeds, just low latency.

I actually found that I get decent speeds with my CDMA Tracfone sometimes where I am.  Ranging from 6-20Mbps.  Not bad for two to three bars.  No tethering, though, and I wouldn't want to do so with how expensive data is with Tracfone.  Still contemplating a phone like yours, though yours is GSM, so I don't know how that would do where I am.  

With this said, the other day I was in a store parking lot and was getting five bars.  I tried a speed test and got the following...

Capture.JPG

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Tutor

Gabe, look at the $5 Klink program I mention above.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.faveset.klink&hl=en

Tethering a Vz Tracfone is basically what it's for. Mine's a straight talk tracfone on Vz. I get 10 GB a month for my $41.25 a month ($495/yr).

Nice speed test. The biggest I ever got was 38-something

Distinguished Professor III

@GW wrote:

Gabe, look at the $5 Klink program I mention above.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.faveset.klink&hl=en

Tethering a Vz Tracfone is basically what it's for. Mine's a straight talk tracfone on Vz. I get 10 GB a month for my $41.25 a month ($495/yr). 

While that's a great idea and definitely an option, it wouldn't really be a good idea with what I have now.  Right now I only have about 2.5GB of data left, and it's not on a monthly plan.  What I buy will give me, at most,  6GB of data for the entire year, and that's with refiling every 90 days.  I have to look at other providers, like Straight Talk, in order to even begin thinking about tethering, and whether that would even be worth the increased cost.    

Right now, I don't have a monthly plan, or even a monthly plan without a contract, due to not using my cell phone very often.  In the nearly four years that I've had a Tracfone I've used it for about an hour of talk time, and only recently started texting due to not having a smart phone until two months ago.  

For right now I pay about $180 per year, which gives me 3000 minutes, 4000 texts and 6GB of data.  For another $20 per year it's 3000 minutes, 6000 texts and 8GB of data.  While that would be pitifully inadequate for most people, it's fine for me.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit