cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HN7000 only three lights and tcp acceleration not operational

Highlighted

HN7000 only three lights and tcp acceleration not operational

I am outside of Craig Alaska and the HughesNet is my only means of communication. My modem started having issues about a week ago. It only have three light on (system and receive lights do not stay on) and I can see that there tcp acceleration not operational when I access the modem. I have rebooted the modem multiple times and this does not seem to help. Sometimes service does come back for a short period of time and then goes out again.

So is there an issue at the NOC or do I have a modem that is going bad?
26 REPLIES 26
Assistant Professor

Re: HN7000 only three lights and tcp acceleration not operational

Kathleen any high winds that could have caused your dish pointing to go out of alignment? The HN7000 is pretty forgiving on alignment but still needs to be aimed fairly close to the satellite position in the sky.

Do you know which satellite and transponder you are on?

Will be Tuesday before official reps are back here.

Here is a cut and paste on how to check dish alignment:

"It works best to have two people doing this and talking thru a window or over a cell phone. To find out which way out of alignment it is do a “push pull” test. Starting with the side to side adjustment, gently push the dish to the left and see if the signal goes up or down, then to right and see if the signal goes up or down. If it goes up by pushing to the left, then loosen the bolts on the back of the dish and turn it left just a bit and retighten. Perform the test again. When you are done the ideal is that pushing either to the right or left makes the signal strength go down, thats how you know you are aligned correctly. Perform this same procedure for the up and down elevation."

No winds.

Horizons-1 at 127W

I had terrible service from Horizons.  After a required modem upgrade, the new modem would not "sync" with Horizons.  The tech had me reassigned to another satellite that gave good service until I upgraded to Gen4

OK. Thanks for the info with Horizon. I'll see if it is possible a tech can reassign me to another satellite, but I maybe stuck with it here in Alaska.

Gen4 is not an option in SE Alaska

I do believe that the service from a particular satellite depends strongly upon where you are.  In my case, Horizons was rather low in the sky, and quite a bit farther away than what I was reassigned to (maybe it was 91W).  Performance was much better.

The tech had some trouble convincing the NOC to make this change, but I guess since he could not get the required new modem to sync to Horizons, there was no choice.  This was after I went through an "owner installation" that failed, and after going through telephone tech support that wasn't successful, then they sent out a tech who also could not get it to work.  Good luck.

What was your prior performance prior to a week ago?  What is your signal strength now compared to two weeks ago?

I do believe that the service from a particular satellite depends strongly upon where you are.  In my case, Horizons was rather low in the sky, and quite a bit farther away than what I was reassigned to (maybe it was 91W).  Performance was much better.

The tech had some trouble convincing the NOC to make this change, but I guess since he could not get the required new modem to sync to Horizons, there was no choice.  This was after I went through an "owner installation" that failed, and after going through telephone tech support that wasn't successful, then they sent out a tech who also could not get it to work.  Good luck.

What was your prior performance prior to a week ago?  What is your signal strength now compared to two weeks ago?

As I remember, they couldn't get the required CrossPol to pass.

Advanced Tutor

Kathleen,
  1. Click on this link to go into your modem: http://192.168.0.1
  2. Click on the System Status button
  3. What is the Signal Strength reading there?
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Honorary Alumnus

It used to be in the way-back-when that the Gateway for the 7000 system was the Germantown MD facility .... but I think that is no longer the case.
Those duties could have been moved anywhere.
There has been a LOT of bad weather at the gen4 gateway locations.