HN7000S free download period in Alaska

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UgashikBob
Sophomore

HN7000S free download period in Alaska

Just reactivated HN7000S in remote area of Alaska and definitely showing useage after 10pm which used to be free download period.  My 800mb($199 monthly) disappeared twice and tech support wasn't sure what our free download window is. Any suggestions appreciated.

35 REPLIES 35
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@UgashikBob

Though I can't say with 100% certainty that this still applies to the HN7000S system, as there may have been a change since, but it appears that the free download zone time for all Alaska customers was changed to 1:00AM-8:00AM Alaska Time on November 8th, 2016. 

A similar question, by someone living in Alaska, was asked about the HN7000S system in the following thread... https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/HN7000S-free-download-period-in-Alaska/m-p/12042/hig...

The link should open directly on Liz's answer to the question. 

The reps are on M-F from 8AM to 5PM EST, though it can take them a day or two to reply.  They'll be the ones that can give a definitive answer as to whether the above information is still correct.     

Hope this helps.  🙂  

GabeU:

I also viewed the post you referred to and wondered if the 2016 info was still current. Also would like to find info on controlling useage with Windows 10 and two I devices. My bride and I are the only users and just web browsing/email seems to drain the swamp quickly.  Suspect our 6 month absence left everything in update mode but after a winter down in America on a real internet connection this seems like 1980's dial up speeds for $199 a month.

Thank you for your prompt and helpful response.

GabeU

@UgashikBob

You're very welcome.  

When it comes to Windows 10, the three best things you can do to help save data is turning off syncing, turning off Delivery Optimization in Windows Updates, and, if you use OneDrive, disabling it, as it can use a LOT of data. 

These routes are with Windows 10 version 1803 (the April 30th update version).  If you have a prior version, the routes to get there should be similar.  

Syncing is under Settings --> Accounts --> Sync your settings.  Turn this off.

Delivery Optimization is under Settings -->  Update & Security --> Advanced Options (at the bottom/middle of the page) --> Delivery Optimization (at very bottom of page).  Turn this off.  

As for OneDrive, I forget as I uninstalled it (really just off and hidden), but I think, if it's running, it should be in your taskbar (it might be hidden).  Right click the icon and click on Options or whatever is similar.  Then uncheck the box that mentions it running at startup.  Uncheck other appropriate boxes, as well.  I think you click Save Settings, or something like that, to save the settings.  Then X out of it.  If it asks you if you want to close it, click yes.  If it doesn't, right click on the icon again and click on exit, or close, or whatever it says.  

It would also be a good idea to install an ad blocker on your browser.  Adblock Plus seems to be the most popular at present, but uBlock Origin is popular, as well.  I use both (I have Chrome).  With Adblock Plus, make sure to uncheck "Allow Some Ads" or "Allow Acceptable Ads", as leaving this checked will end up playing a lot of ads, defeating the purpose.  Ad blockers can save a good deal of data.  Make sure to check that Adblock Plus and/or uBlock Origin are compatible with your browser.  They're both available for the most popular browsers.  

Glaswire is also a great help.  It's a free program that monitors all of the data usage, and what used it, on the computer its installed on.  Again, it's free, and a LOT of people who have data capped services, like HughesNet, use it.   If you do download and install it, make sure to change the options to "Incoming and Outgoing" and "External".  This way it will monitor both download and upload data, and only that used by the internet rather than including data that's going back and forth inside your computer.  The "firewall" part of it just uses your built in Windows firewall and just gives you more control.  You don't have to mess with the firewall settings if you don't want to.  It doesn't change anything regarding your firewall unless you actively do it, so if you don't want to use it, just leave those settings where they are.  You can download Glasswire here... https://www.glasswire.com/

One other thing that may help is Malwarebytes.  It's free, though there's a premium trial that lasts for ten or fifteen days before reverting to the free version.  Using this will ensure that there's no malware or anything like that to sap your data.   

I'm not sure about controlling data usage on Apple products, but I imagine the biggest thing is making sure they aren't using the cloud.  I don't know how to do that as I don't have any Apple devices, but many on here do, and they may pop in and give you some advice.  

It's too bad that you can't get Gen5.  To have to pay so much for a daily refill plan like that... SMH.  I feel for you.  

GabeU:

Just revisited Glasswire and it shows W10 needs a lot of work. Seems like everything I use requires an update so reluctant to do any downloads until I establish if and when we have a free download window. FWIW we were decrementing the usage meter at 11pm last night and 6 am Alaska Daylight Savings time this morning so hopefully the support staff can clarify next week. 

Have implemented several of your suggestions but have more work to do. Really appreciate the time you took to detail the needed changes. $199 a month for this level of service is painful but Hughesnet realizes like we do that our only other option is NOTHING. 

GabeU

I don't blame you for wanting to wait to make sure.  I had the HN7000S system up until Feb 2016 and I remember very well how precious every MB of data was.  I can just imagine how many updates you have to do.  And, if you haven't already done the April 30th update, you're REALLY going to hate that one.  I performed the update on both my desktop and laptop, and it came out to about 3.2GB and 3.1GB for them, respectively. 

If you have the Pro version of Windows 10 and you have not yet gotten that update, you may want to seriously think about changing your update settings to ask you before downloading updates.   With the Home version that option isn't possible, unfortunately.  With that said, LAN connections are now allowed to be set to a "metered" connection with Windows 10 (Creators Update version and after), though I don't know that changing the settings to such would stop an important update like the April 30th update, though it does stop a lot of updates.  Being that you have the daily refill plan, you may want to consider at least doing that (setting your connection to metered).  Again, it may not stop this big update, but it could help in the future.  It's something that's somewhat new, and you couldn't do it before with a LAN connection.  

To set your LAN connection to metered, it's Settings --> Network & Internet --> click Ethernet, then click your Network (might say Nework 1), then down the page a little you'll see where you can turn on "Set as metered connection."  Again this will help limit Windows Updates.  You can actually set a data limit, though it's by month.  Again, I'm seeing this in the 1803 version, so what you see might be a bit different.   

If you have Windows 10 Pro, check this out.  I used the Group Policy Editor method.  It worked perfectly.  I set both of mine to option 2.  

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-stop-updates-installing-automatically-windows-10

And you're very welcome for the detailed help.  I've had HughesNet for about 13.5 years now and it's been pretty good to me, overall.   I've also gotten some great help and advice from the people in this community over the last few years when I've needed it, so I do my best to pay it forward, and very much enjoy doing so.  🙂  

Fortunately I was able to update W10 to 2018-04 culumative update and have set metered connections on. There is also a download/upload statistics panel I hadn't seen before that should be helpful. Also exploring IOS apps to monitor iphone/ipad useage but waiting for Alaska free window definition before doing any downloads. 

GabeU

@UgashikBob

There were a couple of different cumulative updates (depending on your current version (1703 vs 1709)) that were released in April that are separate from the big update.  The big one updates your system to version 1803.  So, if it's the cumulative update that you got, you may very well still get the big one.  Just keep your eye out for it, as it is DEFINITELY something you're going to want to do during the free download period, if you're able to control it.  Hopefully you'll know tomorrow or Tuesday as to whether the info is correct about the free download period.  

Regarding the download/upload statistics panel you mentioned, anything helps when it comes to data management, that's for sure.  

Normally the reps will see posts and answer within a day or two, but I'm going to tag them just to be extra sure that they do.  🙂 

@Liz

@Amanda

Hi UgashikBob,

Thanks for posting. We did have an update which affected Alaska sites two weeks ago. Please let me know if your download zone is currently still not working at the correct times so I can have engineering address.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Liz:

Would be glad to help if someone could just tell me what the correct free period is for Alaska. 

Hi Bob,

According to our Fair Access Policy for Alaska legacy customers like yourself, your Download Zone is 1-8 am Alaskan time.

What is the Download Zone?

The Download Zone is the off-peak hours of the day, when you can download data at full speed without counting against your Download Allowance. The hours of use start at 2:00 am and end at 7:00 am, local time, for customers with an HN9000 modem. Excluding customers in Alaska, the Download Zone hours for customers with an HN9200, HN7000, or HN6000 modem remain from 2:00 am – 7:00 am, Eastern time. In Alaska, the Download Zone hours are from 1:00 am – 8:00 am, Alaskan Standard time.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Liz:

The 1am to 8am Alaska download window is not working for me. I have called the support center about this twice and niether person had a clue what they were doing. Is there some way to notify engineering or anyone that can get this fixed?  

Problem 1  Fix my free use period so that when I wake my bride up at 2am to use our overpriced underperforming internet we are not shut down for exceeding usage during our alleged free period.

Problem 2 Fix the Usage meter app so we can actually purchase a token as advertised instead of making another call to the support center to get a token refresh. This has never worked after repeated assurances from support that it would be. 

Thank you for any assistance you can provide in this matter.

Ugashik Bob

Good morning Bob,

Sure I can escalate your case to engineering to investigate your concerns. Regarding the token error, is it still the "Error Adding Bandwidth to you account" error you're seeing? If so, can you please let me know exactly on which page/window you're seeing this error message? A screenshot of the error when you see it would give engineering better context.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

GabeU

@UgashikBob

To add, regarding Glasswire, this is how to change the options to "Incoming & Outgoing" and "External".  Make sure you're on the "Usage" page, and select "All".  Then click the little doohicky and it will bring up the options drop down menu, like shown in the picture.

Again, Glasswire will show you everything that is using data on your computer, including programs, apps and Windows processes.  It also shows how much data each of those things is using.  You can even see how much data website uses, like how much Facebook is using, if you use Facebook.  You can select a ranges from a month to an hour, and just about everything in between.  It's one of the best tools there is for breaking down data usage.  Again, though, it only monitors the computer it's installed on.  

Screenshot (11).jpg

UgashikBob
Sophomore

Usage meter will not connect to modem. Worked fine yesterday but may be related to fact it is 3:57 am in Alaska and may be during our free period. Please define current free time for Alaska. No one at your 800 number could tell me if it was 10pm-3am  or 1am to 6am. 

As an update to this problem uninstalling and reinstalling fixed the usage meter. However it just recorded a 7% reduction after a download @ 4am.  If the Alaska free time window is 1am to 6 am it is not working for me. 

Hi Bob,

Thanks for posting these details, let me escalate your case to engineering for them to address.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Hi Bob,

Should be fixed now. Please let me know how it goes, I can re-escalate to engineering if needed.

I'm going to merge this thread into your other one since this is all related.

Liz:

I have been dealing with this problem directly through our dealer Will Johnson in Fairbanks AK. Will and his staff have been far more knowledgeable, and responsive than anyone I have dealt with at the Hughesnet support center. During this free period goatrope we had a Hughesnet modem problem that Will fixed after many hours of extensive debug. Instead of trying to find new and creative ways to dump the problem back on the end user Will and his staff worked together to actually fix the problem.in a timely manner. I realize the support center staff is following a script that yields results most of the time and protects the better trained engineering staff from being swamped with common user errors. However when an end user experiences a true HUGESNET problem like we did yesterday the end user spends a considerable amount of time wading through the swamp of people not equiped to fix the problem. It is not accepable to tolerate this level of support currently available at the support center when paying Hughesnet $2,388.00 a year for 1980 dial up speeds. End of rant. 

I realize there are people who are dedicated to improving the level of service I mentioned and I do appreciate there efforts. It is my hope the rant above is passed on to whomever makes the decisions that effect the quality of service and pricing/performance that HN7000 users like myself have to endure.

Thank you for the feedback Bob, I will send it up to engineering as well as your description of the issue. I will pass back any additional questions engineering might need for them to help.