cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HN7000s temp issue?

HN7000s temp issue?

I'm having the same issue with my 7000s and have most certainly identified a temperature issue associated with this activity. It seems that by raising the temp with a light bulb kept close to the modem case then the modem will start to communicate again, but just as HaleysDadForever has pointed out, the power led is the only one lit when this is occurring. at times the recieve and lan leds are lit with no tx or system. I've dealt with temp for several years in winter when the room where the modem is kept would drop to around 32 deg or less, but this past winter has called for a lamp on the modem in much warmer temps and now it is a pretty consistent 65-75 deg and the modem drops out repeatedly until I turn the lamp on then it works perfectly. I'm seriously questioning the temp parameters within the software at this point? I realize Hughes wants me on Gen 4 and yet I am satisfied for the time being with the 7000s service. For heavy use or video downloading I have an ATT hotspot that works great so upgrading Hughes is not a concern at this point. The temp issue baffles me though? Any ideas?

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Old HN7000S may be dying or dead. Need help.
23 REPLIES 23

Re: HN7000s temp issue?

Hello Gus,

This is definitely an interesting situation and I would like to take a look at your modem's temperature statistics and current readout to see where it is compared to where it should be. We do have low and high temperature thresholds for the system, but I do not know what would occur if it became to cold.

If you have a recent case number or the serial number of your modem, that will help me to get started.

Thanks,
Amanda

Hello Amanda,
     Thank you for replying! The HN7000s PSN- HJN2CQ08B 03996320B.
It would certainly be a great help to me if you could identify anything out of line... I have searched through the Advanced Configuration and Statistics pages for temp parameters or real time readings but thus far have come up empty handed. Thank you again for looking into this from your end, I don't expect the old business to work forever but if I am able to run it a while longer...
  Thanks,
   Gus (Jeff) 
Associate Professor

Assistant Professor

These modems probably contain thermistors for temperature sensing. Chances are it, or they are going bad. Like Charles said, old equipment is bound to start going south at some point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermistor

Hey guys, thanks for the input,
     I'm had been feeling the same thing about the solder joints and today have inspected them under magnifier yet have found nothing visible, I have however discovered two cylinder shaped capacitors with the ends swelled and a substance I assume to be electrolyte has leaked a small amount from each cap. The modem dropped out earlier only a few minutes after turning the a/c on in the small office room where it resides, and this while the lamp was 3 inches from the outer case, this prompted me to open it up and give the board a close visual inspection. I have left the case halved and reconnected the radio and LAN, powered it back up with the 60watt lamp directed more at the upper edge of the board where the caps are mounted, after a few minutes it was back to running fine and I am currently using it to post this. . It may be near death as it requires heat almost constantly now. I have just ordered two replacement caps as an experiment I suppose, these are the only visual signs of trouble and all I have to go on at this point. I realize it's completely opposite to require heat, but the last two winters have required periodic heat and this spring the thing is begging for a bit of heat full time.  
 Thanks for the input as I'm no electronics mechanic yet I'm willing to work on just about anything.
  Gus
Assistant Professor

Have you looked at Ebay?  http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X7000s+modem.TRS0&_...

I would check with the official reps here first if they will/can register a used modem.
Associate Professor

If the cylinders are swelled, and there's a substance around them, chances are those are capacitors that have gone bad either due to age, or another faulty component.

IF you have GOOD soldering experience, and a 40w iron with a fine tip, and you own the modem (leased modems shouldn't be opened... they are property of Hughes) then I would replace the caps, should clear things up.

If that doesn't work, surely the reps here can help you get another 7000 modem operational, or possibly though it is doubtful, get you a 9000 unit with a legacy plan.

The reason heat would be working... metal expands when heated, the metal parts of the capacitors are probably getting just warm enough to make a small and weak electrical connection.  When cold, that connection fails.

As far as bad solder joints... solder joints can have microscopic cracks in them that cause parts to fail, especially when it comes to a BGA chip like memory, or the CPU on units, though I doubt these units would get so hot that the solder would fail.

That was my concern, I do not believe they will commission another 7000 unit but I will ask when Amanda replies back. If so I'm all in on replacing my unit... if needed, I suppose it could last a long while under the lamp...
Associate Professor

Like I said, you COULD get very lucky and end up being offered an HN9000 with a legacy plan similar to your current plan, but that is doubtful.