Hughesnet Community

HN7700S Modem to replace HN7000s on Pro Plus plan?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Silviron
Sophomore

HN7700S Modem to replace HN7000s on Pro Plus plan?

OK, I FINALLY got the modem from the Amazon seller (as discussed in this older thread:  Modem constantly resetting  )  (didn't actually ship until two weeks after he sent me the tracking number) 

Unfortunately, it is a 7700 modem instead of a 7000 modem.  From my research, the 7700 modem is pretty much the same as a 7000 , but with an extra  LAN line, and a phone line and a serial port, but will do the basic stuff that my 7000 does, and is compatible with my other equipment.

But I found  an old discussion on an OFF- Hughesnet Forum that said that Hughes will not commission the HN7700S modem on anything but a Business account..  I think my old Pro Plus account is kind of half way between a Home account and a Business account.  While  my 7000 modem is working now, I'd sure like to have this 7700 modem for a backup since Hughes doesn't  have any replacement units for my system at all, and I'd rather not  go through the hassle of returning it to the Amazon seller or give  bad feedback for false advertising...

10 REPLIES 10
Damian

@Silviron,

Thank you for posting again. I believe we should be able to commission this modem, however, I am not 100% sure. Please allow me to escalate this to our engineers for a concrete answer. I will have a response for you this coming Monday the 16th, 

-Damian 

Thanks Damian.  I appreciate it.

Well, I hope it can be commissioned.  My old modem started  giving problems again...  things got VERY slow for about a half hour, and then it started going into the constantant resetting for about two hours.  It is up now, but some sites (including the Hughes System Control Center) are inacceessible  (Web Acceleration Client Error (509.2) - Upstream TCP Receive Failure (Web Server) ), and other sites that do work are very slow.  I'm kind of surprised that I'm able to post here.

Any news on this yet?

My (7000S) modem went down again for about 15 minutes a bit ago.  All LEDS off for about five minutes, then about ten minutes of constant resetting, then came back on fully (but slow...  ALthough I guess everyone is experiencing intermittent slowing the last few days.)

@Silviron,

I appreciate your patience while this was being researched. It appears we are unable to commission this modem. The reason is simply due the fact that this is extremely old technology. Support for these modems are unavailable and have been for the many years since production of the HN7700 ended. Also, modems purchased from third party services are out of warranty and void according to the information I have just received. We simply would be unable to support it in general. At this time, the remote diagnostics do not indicate a problem with the modem, radio transmitter or gateway itself, however, the signal quality is very low. Re-pointing the dish may be a better option for you since this is the only error being reported in your diagnostics on my end. This is not to say the modem isn't failing, it just isn't being picked up by our tools here. The modem you are currently using may be reaching the end of its life cycle. Upgrading the modem would be the only way to receive and commission a new one.  

-Damian   

Well, thanks for looking into it for me Damian.  I assume that when you say upgrading the modem, you mean  going to a Gen 5  system, which I think would include a new Transmitter / LNB...  ( my .98 meter dish might be reusable), but I suppose the rest of the system would not work with the newer generations???

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Damian wrote:

It appears we are unable to commission this modem. The reason is simply due the fact that this is extremely old technology. Support for these modems are unavailable and have been for the many years since production of the HN7700 ended. Also, modems purchased from third party services are out of warranty and void according to the information I have just received.  

@Damian

Is this the case for all previously used HN7000 series modems?  I have an HN7000S that I've offered to send to Silviron (for free, not a purchase), but if it can't be commissioned it would obviously be a waste of time to do so.  If there is any possibility that it could be commissioned, please let me know so that I could send you or whoever else the required info from it (serial number?) to see whether it, specifically, can be.  I was using it from from maybe 2007 or 2008 until Feb 2016, and it worked perfectly.

A few things: 

A:  Thanks again, Gabe. for all of your help, and offers;  Lets hold off on any action for a while, but  indeed it is a good idea to ask for that clarification.

B:  The 7700 modem from Amazon is, actually new.  Had never been commissioned, or even removed from its packaging. until I got it.

C:  I did do a new cross pol...  My skew WAS off by a couple of degrees, hence the poor signal QUALITY... Last time I tweaked the aim, I only adjusted for peak signal STRENGTH.  Things are running much better now.

😧  Still can't reach the System Control Center...  after many tries,  i only get:

Web Acceleration Client Error (509.2) - Upstream TCP Receive Failure (Web Server)

E:  my  network time is still off , a year and a half in the future:

Network Time: MON APR 12 11:59:39 2021

I've looked all through the configuration pages and have found nowhere that I  can change it.

F:  On the bright side, I HAVE been able to get a good 3G cellphone signal for a couple of days now...  Maybe AT&T finally got the tower that is right above me working right... It has been intermittent between weak  and no signal at all  and mostly 2G when there was a signal ever since they took it over 6 years ago from Altel...  Altel may have only been 2G but at least they had a solid reliable signal.  Anyway, if it stays  up for a few more weeks, I can ditch satellite internet.

@GabeU,

That is correct, We would be unable able to commission HN7000 series modems altogether.   

-Damian 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Damian wrote:

@GabeU,

That is correct, We would be unable able to commission HN7000 series modems altogether.   

-Damian 

That's unfortunate.  😞