cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HN9000 LAN Web page System Control Center disappears

HN9000 LAN Web page System Control Center disappears

Hi, 

I have had the same modem since around 2010. I am happy with my service plan so I really do not want to upgrade. My problem has been going on for several months but I have been living with it. The modem will sometimes work better after a power cycle. At other times the modem will reset by itself several times and then the System Control Center page will come back.  Even then web pages constantly time out. I have checked all the connections and all seem fine.  Receive Signal Strength  is 170 and Normalized Power Word is at 38.

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

Re: HN9000 LAN Web page System Control Center disappears

Hello @Sunlightbywheel,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community. I am sorry to hear you have been having issues with the service. Normally, modems have a shelf life of around 3-4 years and sometimes longer in the 5-6 year range on average. Your modem is currently 10 years old and requires a replacement. The problem here is that the HN9000 is no longer manufactured, due to its very old internal technology. In order to replace this modem, we would need to upgrade your service entirely. If your issues were caused by anything else, we would be able to have a technician come out, however, your diagnostics show a fully operational system despite the spotty modem. I recommend calling in at 866-347-3292 and seeing if these are still available to be replaced, however, I am fairly certain these are no longer in stock. Please update me on your status after you speak with our representatives. 

-Damian 

Damian,

Several months ago I purchased a new HN9000 modem off ebay but have never determined if I could use it. I remember seeing some old posts where this was done at one time. Is that an option for me?

Thanks

Sam

Highlighted

Damian,

Several months ago I purchased a new HN9000 modem off ebay but have never determined if I could use it. I remember seeing some old posts where this was done at one time. Is that an option for me?

Thanks

Sam

Tags (1)

Damian,

Thanks

Sam

@Sunlightbywheel,

This may be possible. Right now, your current HN9000 is registered to your SAN. If you switch the modems, you would technically need to have your new modem registered to your account. For information on this process, you will need to call into our support line at 866-347-3292. Please update me on what you are informed of once you call.  

-Damian 

I wanted to give you an update on my contact with phone tech support. The first person that I talked with was extremely helpful but was not able to register my new modem to my account. She tried to find some one that could. The man that I eventually spoke with kept trying to push me toward a new install and upgrade to Gen 5. I kept refusing this as I really do not want to switch plans. As for the modem that I purchased off Ebay, he kept telling me to just hook up my new modem and it would work. He said they are plug and play. I tried to respectfully disagree with him and tell him that the modem would not work unless it could be registered to my account. He eventually said it could be done but it would have to be done by an installer. I have an appointment for the installer to come June 7th. He said that is the best he could do as for time frame. I know I could install it myself if someone would just update the new modem to my account.
Thanks
Sam

Distinguished Professor IV

@Sunlightbywheel 

Just out of curiosity, is there a particular reason you want to stick with your HN9000 system rather than upgrading to Gen5?  Is it a known vs. unknown thing?

Again, I'm only curious.  I hesitated for a long time before finally upgrading to Gen4 in early 2016, as my HN7000S based legacy plan still worked very well, and it had for years.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Yes,

Mainly I dont want to be under contract. Verizon and NY state have made a deal where they are supposed to have fiber installed in my area before the end of the year. 

Distinguished Professor IV

@Sunlightbywheel 

Ah.  You're one of the lucky ones.  I got my hopes up for their "Broadband For All" program, thinking that it meant that everyone was going to get wired broadband.  Then, after waiting for two years, I find out that what's going to be available here is what I already have... HughesNet.  

Granted, I do have a NY sponsored HughesNet plan available to me that has more data for less money (80GB of Bonus Data vs 50GB, and $10 less ($25 less if I don't have to pay a lease fee)), but I'd have to end my present service, then sign up with that sponsored plan, which is a little stupid, being that I'd have to send back the same equipment that they would then install.  And being that my present service works well, I'm not going to take the chance.  I'd still be on the same beam, but I'm worried that, for some odd reason, it wouldn't work as well. 

Fiber... I can only dream.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit