HN9000 spontaneous reboots

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yorkytime1
New Poster

HN9000 spontaneous reboots

My HN9000 modem has started to do sponaneous reboot this morning.  So far about 10 times.  Anyone know why this is happening?
27 REPLIES 27
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Overheating? All connectors securely attached including power?
yorkytime1
New Poster

I check all connections seems ok.  No overheating that I can detect.  The modem was plugged into a UPS....so I plugged direct to wall.  No change still reboots itself about every 1 to 10 minutes.  We have not notice any power problems at all.  But it is raining like a b*&^h and overcast.  Could that cause the HN9000 to reboot itself so many times.  We are in the mist of the massive rain storms in southern Texas and western Louisiana.  We are located in Louisiana only 10 miles from Texas border.  The modem has never had this behavior in previous heavy rain storms.
Mordacious

Possible water in the radio connection or cables?
yorkytime1
New Poster

I can check water in the radio connect in a few minutes.  The cable is another matter.....buried and running underground and behind walls.  Will see what I can do. 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

The lights will go out if it loses connection because of heavy storms. What does it show for signal level and status in the SCC when it happens? Are you sure it is actually rebooting or just going offline then back on? Does the power light also go out?

Bad weather at your gateway could also cause loss of connection and light going out.
yorkytime1
New Poster

NOT possible to check right now.....heavy rains.  The problem "could" be the radio connection.  Will know when it stops raining.  But I do not see how it could be the underground cable.......heavy duty cable inside conduit and buried about 2 feet down.  Runs continuous from dish to the modem inside house.  
yorkytime1
New Poster

BirdDog......I am sure it is doing a complete reboot.  ALL lights go our and I lose the status page on computer.  When it boots up the uptime is always changed to seconds.....not hours or days.  The SCC is not available during the reboot.  I guess it just might be bad weather....but this has not happened before....the rebooting I mean.
Mordacious

Probably not in the underground run, but if it got in at the connector at the radio it would cause trouble and the only thing that is going to fix that is a good drying out or replacing the cable. It's a long shot but a driving rain could penetrate the dielectric grease and allow it to seep into the cable run.
yorkytime1
New Poster

Ok makes since.  Guess we will just wait until rain stops.  I sure hope cable is not damaged.  We will check on everything when the rain stops.   thanks guys....you are the greatest
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Mordacious could be right about water in the cable connectors or even radio if the weather has been really bad.
yorkytime1
New Poster

Thanks BirdDog.  You guys have no idea how much rain we had down here.....atrocious this past few days.  Plus a few weeks ago got over 20 inches in one day.....just awful.  We live on a lake....I watched the water rise 9 feet to within a couple of feet of front of my home.  Sure am glad we built on the highest point of this property.  In 40 years living here we have never seen it this bad.  LOL
Liz

Hi yorkytime,

Welcome back, thanks for posting. Mordacious and BirdDog got it right about the water; I ran diagnostics and it's also indicating water leakage. I'll dispatch a tech to replace the radio and feedhorn. Shortly, I'll have the appointment time and date for you, along with your case number posted here.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Now that's service!
Mordacious

Hope you built an ark.

Have seen it on the news, it is bad. I'm just afraid it will be coming my way soon in NC.
yorkytime1
New Poster

OH Liz......you are a DOLL!  What service!  Hubby was already trying to figure out how to repair.  I will be happy.  You are so wonderful for this service.  darinda
Liz

Hi Darinda,

Aw, thank you. 🙂 I just want your service back up and running again so I got the first available slot for you. Your dispatch is currently scheduled for this Friday, Apr 22, 2016 between 11:00 AM - 2:00 PM.

Call us at 866.347.3292 and reference case #53656970 if you need to reschedule. Please let us know how the site visit goes. 

Thanks, 
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

yorkytime1
New Poster

Mordacious.....it was scary the last time but we did not get flooded out.  But gosh many of my neighbors were flood around the lake and down south from the Sabine River.  I think we will be ok...just tired of being confined to the house.  Tomorrow should be a lot better.  Hope it does not get you bad in NC.
yorkytime1
New Poster

Thank you Liz.  that appointment is A-okay.  I hope it's the same service Tech....he was great the last time after we had the fire.  I will keep the case # if we need to call in for any reason.  Will give you an update after Friday's service call.
Liz

Perfect!

yorkytime1
New Poster

We had a small bit of sunshine late this afternoon.  I visually inspected the dish and radio/horn....could not see any water inside...but it sure was dripping a lot of water from some place.  So I assume it somehow got soaked with the heavy rains we have had.  This never happened before in all the years I've been with Hughesnet.  The dish and equipment was replaced last Sept due to damage from fire.  I am wondering if it was properly sealed.  Just wondering.