cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HT1100 Dumping Data

Freshman

HT1100 Dumping Data

Had this issue and a thread here last month.  LAN errors are causing or are a symptom of loss of data between modem and router.  Went under FAP last month for two weeks so had to wait it out.  Was on vacation for 3 days when came off FAP, family using internet but knows the limitations.  5 GB used in 2+ days (1/3rd of monthly data allotment).  Check for LAN errors and data and still happening.  Example, in this hour 112 MB delivered to my LAN (confirmed in the router log), but 373 MB charged to modem and my account.  Most hourly historical data gone though as modem only holds for 24 hours. 

I am loath to spend hours with Tier 1 Customer Service, going through the standard script. (I.e., “don’t use your internet for awhile and see if it happens.” It doesn’t. I’ve never seen loss or this specific issue under a no-load or even light-load condition.  It’s not mysterious data use or loss, my neighbors aren’t logging in, I don’t have PC viruses; it’s data being dropped between the modem and router during high use intervals.)

I’m trying to gather data and troubleshoot on my end, but a little competent support from Hughes would be nice, as my data is getting lost at the Hughes modem and I keep getting FAP’ed.
8 REPLIES 8

Re: HT1100 Dumping Data

Good morning davidwalters1,

Thank you for your post, we want to help address your concern. Please read the information here and follow the instructions: https://community.hughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/wheres-my-bytes-how-to-test-for-data-leaks

Then you may post your screenshots here in your thread. If the modem is the source of your unidentified data loss, I can certainly escalate your case to our engineers here at corporate.

Your cooperation and patience are greatly appreciated. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Freshman

Hi Liz,

That seems to be a dead link. 

If that was supposed to be a link to the "unplug your PC for a few hours and see if data is lost" diagram, that isn't going to reveal anything.  I don't have mysterious data loss under no-load or light-load conditions. I have specific data loss between the modem and the router during higher-load intervals.
Associate Professor

You never did state what the LAN diagnostics was showing as a red X for in your previous topic.  Liz can see it, though, I am curious. XD

Apologies for the dead link. Yes, I was linking to that particular diagram, for the purpose is to determine if the modem is the cause of any loss of data. Beyond the HughesNet modem is out of our control and scope.

Have you tried experimenting with different LAN cables or possibly another router?

-Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Freshman

Liz,  Yes, I've changed cables.  I wonder if I have a bad port on the modem, but of course I can't test that.  I would think, though, if that were the case, the loss wouldn't correlate to load (but I may be wrong - maybe it would).  Reasonably, the router and its port would also be suspect then. I can possibly test with another router, but that will take a little doing and time waiting for the conditions and errors to re-occur.  I will plan to do that when I can. I DO have reported LAN errors even when I don't have data loss, fwiw.

Regarding scope, the data is making it to the modem (as reported by the Downlink amount), but not being transmitted to the router, as indicated by the Lan TX*.

(*or not being successfully transmitted? I don't know if Lan Tx is a push sum from the modem or an ack sum from the router .  A Hughes engineer may be able to provide some better detail.)

Corrosive, here are the diagnostics errors, which I see regularly. 

Good morning David,

Regarding the LAN errors, can you also please try connecting the modem directly to your computer for a few hours to see if they persist? Please let me know at your convenience.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Freshman

I'll set that up when I can.  I'm sure that my situation is like most others; I don't have just one PC using the Hughes connection.  When the reps talk about having user "connect the modem directly to your PC", or ways to look for data loss on their "PC"... all singular, remember that I have multiple users and devices connected to my network at any given time.  The router is the only singular connection I have to the modem.  If the problem (dropped data) were further down in my LAN, I wouldn't be bringing it up here.

OK, thank you, looking forward to hearing back.

-Liz

Thanks,
Liz