cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HT1100 OK what a Data drian I had today! What's up w/That?

Re: HT1100 OK what a Data drian I had today! What's up w/That?

Having your download allowance swallowed up in a short amount of time is just HughesNet's way of doing things.  I've been fighting with them for YEARS.  Today it gobbled 1/2 of my 10gb bandwidth and I was on my.hughesnet's home page talking to customer service.  When the conversation started I was 983mb over my expected usage and after 30 minutes I was over 1gb over.  I just give up.  They have more excuses than Carter had liver pills.  It's not YOU doing anything wrong, it's them and they'll never admit it.

Well here it is 3:30 in the AM and I'm up trying to get some work done on ebay, this service Sucks, it is way overpriced for what We are Supposed to Get! As soon as I get my speed up the next day it's worse! I'll have to change my whole routine just to be able to afford this service?

OK just to be Clear I was below my expected daily usage I was at 2.95 GB used, after a 20 min. session because mostly of both slow Up & Download speeds on Hughes, "Which would have been 1-2 mins Max on Uverse" I check the Meter and I' at 3.3 and over my allowance, Uverse cost me $40 a Month, Unlimited and I would Guess used 5-6 hours a Day, what would This kind of Usage cost a Hughes Customer for a Much Slower System? I wish I had taken a screen shot before I posted those 2-3 photos, But then how much would that have cost Me?

Gwalk ok with that said when will Hughes realize that the sites are using up more data ever Day and step up more data allowances on these overprice allowances? I get Unlimited for $40 or less per month w/ATT, Charter isn't that much more, I think my Wife's contract w/Huges cost $59.00? For a very limited amount of Data and all I have to do is Pay more or become a Vampire sleep all day and work after Midnight?

OK how do we know at what point they Put the Brakes on after a day or so ago I see a vast difference in pages loading speed, even this morning 3 AM High traffic at this time of the morning?

HughesNet Gen4 Fair Access Policy

To ensure fair Internet access for all HughesNet® Gen4 subscribers, Hughes maintains a special Fair Access Policy for these subscribers. This policy establishes an equitable balance in Internet access for all HughesNet subscribers. Hughes assigns a Data Allowance to each service plan that limits the amount of data that may be downloaded or uploaded within a one-month period. Subscribers who exceed this limit will experience a temporary reduction of speed.

HughesNet Gen4 service plans allow unlimited downloading and uploading. However, to ensure consistent performance for all users, a Fair Access Policy provides for a limit, based on your service plan as described above, on the amount of data which can be used before your service performance is reduced. The policy is implemented automatically by monitoring your usage, including data which is sent from or to your HughesNet terminal. Each HughesNet Gen4 service plan is assigned an Anytime Allowance. The Anytime Allowance is the amount of data, in bytes, which can be uploaded or downloaded within the month at full speed. If your data usage exceeds the allowance for your plan, the throughput (speed) of your service will be reduced.

Hey Ron

One thing I discovered with HghesNet is if you want to do it, don't, because your full speed data will be gone.  With the FAP they can say it is unlimited access, what it offers is constricted High Speed access.  I have the same plan as you 5/5 and can squeak by because it is all I can budget at this time.  I am working on a Web Site for my Wife's business and it needs maintenance.  I have to upload pictures and Flash Video to it.  This doesn't take a lot of Data as it is usually once a month or less.  I still have 11 months of my ETA left after that I may say good bye HughesNet and go elsewhere even if I have to go back to Dial up.  Just because with Dial up I can still do the same thing it will just take a bit longer. 

I have considered with dial up I can't watch Video,  With Caps and HughesNet I can't watch video,  I can stream music with dial up, with Hughes I have to be careful when I stream music not to use up too much data,  HughesNet cost me 62 bucks after tax and fees,  Dial up cost me 18 bucks after tax and fees.  I can save 44 bucks a month and all I have to do is copy my large web uploads to a Flash Drive.  Go to my Brothers House (he has COX cable) and upload it from there, drink a few beers, hang out for a bit then head back home.  If I have small uploads I can do them with dial up. 

If I am going to be this restricted I might as well save a few bucks.  Verizon has 4g LTE in my area now which is another possibility.

In the mean time set your browser to ask before running flash video they pop up all over the place and are normally HD which can use 800mb per hour or more.  Doing that has saved me tremendously.

Gary
Honorary Alumnus

In todays "Internet" a 5/5 plan is no plan at all.

In reality, with its high cost (due to much higher than terrestrial costs), high latency and greater complexity a satellite connection is one of last resort.

It is not like Directv or Dish TV that can compete in the TV market. Two way satellite Internet is a much different animal.

If a user has any other options  then they need to take that option.

There is no amount of complaining that is going to cause a satellite connection to become comparable with any terrestrial based internet system.

Its not even a "apples to oranges", more like apples to bananas.

A satellite connection can operate at a "acceptable level" if on the Jupiter (Echostar17) platform (HT1000/1100 modems), if due to geography or line of sight issues and a user is stuck on a HN9000 Spaceway3 system ... then no.

If you have other options ... go for it, if you don't, then you need to learn how your system works, what it can and cannot do.

A 5/5 plan ? A full length movie in HD will chew that up in one gulp ...

Assistant Professor

Only good for basic browsing with ad blocking software, no embedded videos allowed to load, and email.

That's all fine and Good but someone needs to Make sure the sales person also advises the Potential Customer of That before We get Roped into something That cost More and works Less! I'm getting the Full picture now that it's Too late, and Now I'm stuck with a two year sentence, Feels like a Jail term
Honorary Alumnus

Ron,

I quick peek at the "economics".

A WISP, Cable or phone DSL service is installed where those companies feel the they can make money , they invest in equipment in an area. They can upgrade and repair that equipment at anytime the "business picture" indicates that more profits could be had. They can build on that initial investment decade after decade.

A sat connection however starts with the cost of the satellite itself at about one half BILLION dollars. It has a lifespan of 12 to 15 years then needs replacement. It cannot be expanded, it cannot be repaired.

Add to that 500 million, launch and insurance costs, add to that the ground facilitys need to complete the connection to/from the satellite and the people to staff them.

The satellite does only have just so much "thru-put" at a given instant, the same with the ground NOC's and Gateways.

The economics are that if Cable or DSL thought they could make money from you, then they would have built in your area. That should tell you something.