cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HT1100 OK what a Data drian I had today! What's up w/That?

Re: HT1100 OK what a Data drian I had today! What's up w/That?

Hey Ron

Know what you mean it is easy for someone to say get 15/15 plan but if the hundred dollar plus price isn’t in the budget then it is not there.  As for the sales people they are just that sales people working for a commission check.  Do your research before you say yes I did a lot of looking online before I got HughesNet.  My plan was simple use it to get the site built then bye bye.  Most of my work on the site is offline then a quick ftp upload and I am done.

I do look at an occasional you tube video at 360 or 240p which doesn't use much data.  If I want to see a movie I have TV for that.  The only thing I can't figure out is why when I had Cricket Connect Card with only 4gb data per month I never went over.  What I am doing online is about the same or even a little less.  I have noticed many times I have downloaded a large file during bonus time say 1.2gb file then checked the usage for that hour on my.hughesnet.com and it has shown 3gb for that time period.  This happens all the time not just once or twice.  I never use all the bonus time so it is no big deal at those hours but HughesNet Data used is inflated no matter what they say.  Where else does the 800mb go when you download and disconnect immediately.  The only reason I left Cricket was a EDGE connection with 3G every now and then, and I was on a partner CDMA tower and they threatened to cancel services due to my area. 

Hey gwalk900

My phone company says the reason I can't get DSL is to many rocks for them to get to my place.  There is FO Cable less than a tenth of a mile away is what really sucks.
Honorary Alumnus

My phone company (Verizon at the time) told me as they were putting in new wiring and other "stuff" replied with "not in your lifetime" when asked if DSL was on the way.

His reply was after he stopped laughing.

Assistant Professor

I'll be pushing up daisies before any kind of cable, DSL is available where I live, if ever. WISP is very unlikely  because of the terrain and 3g/4g is capped worse than HughesNet and more expensive.

The problem is We were Promised so Much, and now we Have no Recourse, Charter has a Program where they will pay some of the Contract Fines But not enough to warrant Me canceling just yet, Bidding my time until it levels out Then I'm Gone!

OK here is something If a group of Users decide to try and file a Class action Suit, who are they to name as the offending party, Huges did not actively recruit us, Direct TV Did? But as far as I'm concerned they, Hughes is not Honest in the way they presented Their Service, full of empty Promises, I too only try to Use the internet when I have to, I have to be connected to renew an ad, or revise a statement I'll only use my office to both Download or upload Photos, and will only list while I'm on Uverse, Until something changes or I can Join The Class action Suit, not for money but Just to get out the contract!
Assistant Professor

Ron, the truth is you never should have signed up for satellite internet if you have some form of cable available.

Boy if I only had half a clue service was this bad! We were promised 4G The fastest internet connection Yet! And are paying Much More for it I just Pulled my Uverse bill from the shop and it is $30.00 a Month, well we do have to have a land line also that is $49.00 But to get this introductory off or Movers Bundle We have to Have DTV and Please I Know I'm not to compare Apples To Watermelons! But This is a Scam the way it was laid out to Us. Pay More No Thank you, and what Sign another 2 year Deal? Or Pledge my First born Grandchild since I'm past my Prime!

What I can't  is We get TV, Cell Phone Service, NASA uses Them, The US Military not to mention untold other Fortune 500 companies, Conferences, Face to Face, real Time Chats and Medical Operations while they are happening and I can't post an ad on Craigs List without using all my Data Plan? And that's comparing Apples To Apples.

Assistant Professor

Ron, just one example you cite, military, they have their own satellites or large chunks of commercial satellites. I could go into the other examples you cited but I have a feeling you won't be satisfied with any of the answers.
HughesNet is serving hundreds of thousands of customers on just the Gen4 satellite alone. It is real-time internet service for all those customers doing whatever it is they are doing. Streaming video, browsing, downloading, uploading, listening to music, it all takes bandwidth and there is only so much on a single satellite.
Again, I know that answer will not satisfy you. I believe you are someone who will never be happy with satellite service.
They are planning to launch another satellite in 2016.