cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HT1100 OK what a Data drian I had today! What's up w/That?

Re: HT1100 OK what a Data drian I had today! What's up w/That?

Hey Ron

I use MSSE on my Windows7 Enterprise partition and have flash video set to ask before playing.  I have three PC's on my network my main one is a Acer Aspire R3700 1.8ghz Hyper-threaded Dual Core Intel Atom. I run 2 partitions Windows and Linux Mint.  I use Linux about 85% of the time (no anti-virus needed) and for most general surfing.  I use Windows 7 for my Website Maintenance only.  This is just because of the software I use will not run inside Linux.

I also have a PC old HP Pavilion 2.7ghz 64 bit AMD I dual boot that one also Windows 7 Pro and Linux Mint 17.1 it is used for Audio Recording and powers my Old Canon LBP 430 Printer.  I use it also when I need to view website on Standard resolution monitor instead of 16x9 aspect.

The 3rd one I have now is really old 233mhz Pentium and 8gb Hard Drive only 256mb RAM.  I run DSL (Damn Small Linux) (no fooling that is what it is called)  DSL is small and runs from a CD.  I have tried to put it on hard drive but it never works.

So everything I have is pretty old but I keep up on the maintenance.  That is the key a well maintained PC will last forever and save data.
Honorary Alumnus

One point worth noting here, but not start a "flame war" or pit one product against another.

Microsoft's MSE virus protection doesn't have a very good "detection rate".

Its purpose  is to provide a very basic level of protection along the lines of "something is better than not running anything",  it is said that the level of detection and protection is basic so that giant Microsoft is not accused of directly and perhaps unfairly against other brands of anti-virus software both free and paid.

Another thing to consider is the level of knowledge of the user. A very experienced user is going to have habits that limit his/her exposure and as a result can do very well with a light and fast anti-virus protection program. A less knowledgable user may like require a more robust program.

Another thing too is that the "threat landscape" has changed over the years, moving from virus attacks being the major threat to more along the line of malware, adware and phishing.

It is the malware and adware that is the most "costly: to a Hughes user because of the impact it has on our data allowance. Phishing being more of a "social gotcha".

Not knocking MSE here ... its just a matter of knowing your exposure strengths and weaknesses and using the right "tool" for the job.

Assistant Professor

Been using Comodo for quite awhile now and like it. Initial install will use a junk of data though like most fresh AV installs. After that, the data it uses for updates is negligible.

And run Malwarebytes about once a week.
Honorary Alumnus

I too apply a "layered" security approach.

Avast "free" on some of my machines ( it does require some changes to prevent it calling home to much), MSE on others and like sgoshe a weekly scan with Malwarebytes.

Assistant Professor

Lol, junk=chunk.
Honorary Alumnus

Weed knoed waht u meat.

Hey Gwalk900

Good statement,  I am a very knowledgeable user have been building and repairing PCs since the DOS days.  When I say maintenance it is a Saturday Morning Ritual checking everything and leaving nothing unexplored.  I have been using MSSE for 3 years and have never had a problem with malware,  MSSE has caught a bit of Adware and Tracking Cookies.  I use AVG on my old HP and have used it for many  years (can't remember for sure but a long time) I have never had a problem with it as well.  I don't know how much is my strict maintenance program or how much is the AV programs.  Now this may not be a true annalist of the AV programs as I use Linux for all web  browsing, videos, shopping, bill payments, and fun stuff.  Windows is only used for Website Business and handling my PayPal account.

So I guess the average user is wise to get a super snooper security package that does what I do myself.  There is a positive in knowing what to look for.  The average PC or MAC user does not have the PC interworking knowledge.  That being said I say AVG is the best bang for the buck even the free version beats Norton and other expensive detectors.

Hey !!! Gary , i've got an E-Machine   sure was hurt when i put it up into the closet , that was the easiest computer that i ever had ,  you could almost anything in and on it , it was a sad DAY !!  LOL !!!

Now running a 700-215XT 64bit ,16GIG HP ENVY,  should last my lifetime !!!! Sounds good just hoping i had made a good call on it

Hey Christopher

I use to do extended warranty work for E-Machines I think the Boards were HP rejects that were not good enough for their Compaq line so they sold them to Wal- Mart.  Just kiddin' I do have a brand new Mother Board they sent it to me and never told me what to do with it.  They were famous for PCI Slots going bad.