HT2000 Universal Plug n' Play Issue

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
steveandkris
Sophomore

HT2000 Universal Plug n' Play Issue

I upgraded to Gen 5 from Gen 4 earlier this week and am happy to report the new Gen 5 service is indeed much faster and has resolved several nagging problems that I was having with Gen 4 such as: 1) impossibly slow Windows 10 updates; 2) continual “network was reset” errors in Apple iTunes; and 3) inability to “verify” iOS updates via Wi-Fi (had to switch to cellular).  Happily, these issues have disappeared with the Gen 5 service and I am getting 25-39 Mb/sec down and 1.5-3 Mb/sec up.  Good stuff!

Unfortunately, my experience with the HT2000 modem/router has been a mixed bag.  During the Gen 5 installation, I was connected (wired) to the HT2000 with only a laptop and no other network devices attached.  Once I was satisfied that I could connect to the internet, I sent the installer on his way and proceeded to reconfigure the HT2000 Wi-Fi SSIDs and connect my wired network; and that's when the real fun started.  As soon as I connected the ethernet cable from my main network switch, the HT2000 locked up tighter than a drum and I could no longer access the configuration pages (or anything else).

I won’t bore you with the details but after a couple of hours on and off the phone with tech support it turns out there is a KNOWN ISSUE with the universal plug n’ play (UPnP) software of the HT2000 router (support claimed it was just iOS devices).  In my case, performing a factory reset and disabling UPnP (uncheck the UPnP box on the advanced settings page) before connecting the rest of my wired and wireless devices finally solved the problem.

It has now been five days and both the Gen 5 service and HT2000 router have been working reliably with 25 to 30 wired and wireless devices (PCs, printers, DirecTV boxes, iPhones, iPads, Apple TVs, Windows server and etc.) connected at any one time.  The Wi-Fi coverage is less robust than the Netgear Nighthawk router I was using with Gen 4 but it is sufficient to cover the important areas of our house.

Hopefully the UPnP issue will be corrected in future firmware updates.  In the meantime, I would recommend disabling the UPnP feature of your HT2000 just to be safe – the last thing you need is an iPhone or iPad connecting to your network (think grandkids or guests) and blowing up your router!

16 REPLIES 16
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@steveandkris

There had been some previous posts about issues with connecting to certain websites and Xbox and PS4 connectivity and they were related to the HT2000W's Universal Plug n Play.  They are definitely working on it and will most likely have a fix with an upcoming software update.   

Glad you got it fixed and it's now working. 

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Actually the uPnP issue covers anything that requests an automated port-forward.  That means anything from consoles, to mobile devices.  There is a large banner on the side of the site stating to disable uPnP if you have issues getting to websites, or services not working after a period of time.

dredman
Freshman

I had DishNet prior and just recently upgraded to Gen5 a few days ago. I have been pulling my hair out with it. I wish I had found your post sooner but I finally stumbled across a similar resolution of disabling upnp. It has now been roughly 12hrs and everything still seems to be stable. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
mweasner
Sophomore

Has this UPnP bug been fixed?  I was upgraded to Gen5 over a week ago.  First modem became flakey shortly after the installer left.  Tech Support sent me a replacement Gen5 modem.  But it also died immediately after it was set up when I connected one of my webcams (which worked fine with Gen4).  I also see Wi-Fi 5G dropouts for hours at a time.  2.4G stays on.  But there are times when the whole modem goes flakey and drops offline.  No Ethernet or Wi-Fi connectivity to the modem when that happens although it does seem to be still connected to the satellite.  In looking at the modem UPnP configuration page it seems to imply that I need UPnP to have the computers and smartphones properly working together.  So, unless this bug is going to be fixed in the next few days I will have to demand reversion to Gen4 to get everything working again.

@mweasner

UPNP is basically for automatic port forwarding, which may be used for streaming on computers and smartphones, but is also used for online gaming on consoles and using printers (like HP's) across subnets. Port forwarding is not really a hard and fast requirement for some of these things because many providers are getting smart about the potential security risks associated with it.

My advice would be that if you turn UPNP off and these technologies still work, there's no real reason to keep it engaged unless you absolutely need it.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I should add if you really need to do manual port forwarding, there's a place in the wifi setup to do that.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@mweasner

The 5Ghz radio issue is known to Hughesnet and they are working on it.  

You've had two HT2000W modems in a row go "flakey"?  What do you mean by "flakey"?  Something doesn't seem right.  I would think that the possibility of two modems in a row being faulty (besides the 5Ghz radio issue) is astronomical.  

The first modem that was installed by the professional installer worked for a few minutes after he left.  But then I lost Internet connection from all devices.  That was following by the modem disappearing from the network.  The usage meter greyed out and going to the modem's web page failed to connect to the modem. It took a power recycle to resurrect the modem.  When that kept happening I called Tech Support.  She had me try several things, including shutting down all connected devices and add them one-by-one.  When I added the first webcam, the modem disappeared again.  After an hour on the phone with a very nice lady, she said the modem was indeed bad in that the 192.168.42.1 router address was bogus and should have been 192.168.0.1 (like it was with my Gen4 modem).  They shipped me a replacement modem.  After I swapped the modems, the new modem also had a 192.168.42.1, so I called Tech Support.  They said the nice lady had been wrong and that the router address correct.  So I reconnected the webcam that killed the previous modem.  Bang, killed the new modem too.  So I have left the webcams disconnected.  Everything was stable for a few days.  But Sunday evening the modem started its disappearing act again.  It would drop offline for a few minutes and then come back.  Wi-Fi 5G never came back that night and into Monday morning.  (I am not talking about satellite connectivity here; just local connectivity to the modem.)  Mid-morning on Monday the modem got stable after I did another power cycle.  Eventually Wi-Fi 5G started working again.  Been stable now for a few hours, but I no confidence in the HughesNet Gen5 modem until it proves to me it is stable for several days.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

It does seem the new Gen 5 modem/router combo has problems, especially the 5 GHz side. I'm still Gen 4 and my personal router with dual 2.4 and 5 bands. Personally like the dual band capability.

Hope they get the modem WiFi radio problem sorted out.

GabeU

That the address of the modem's router being 192.168.42.1 is normal.  The original phone rep obviously needs a little refresher on this.  

With regard to the 5Ghz radio issues, until they send out an update to fix it the only option, other than constantly restarting, is to not use it, and just use the 2.4Ghz radio, or, more likely better, use your own 3rd party router.  That's about all that can be done, for now.      

As for why a web cam would cause a problem with the modem...that's a head scratcher, at least for me.  Perhaps an IP conflict?  I don't know.  

Have you turned off UPnP?  If not, give it a try.  I suspect all of your connected devices will still work and your disappearing modem problem should be solved.  Note that 5GHz WiFi and UPnP are separate issues; I still have not heard of a fix for the 5G issue.

At the request of @Amanda, I have created a new thread about the Gen5 issues I'm seeing:

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Gen5-modem-webcam-compatibility-modem-dropouts/m-p/8...

I disabled UPnP on the modem this morning. After waiting about 5 minutes I powered up one webcam connected via Wi-Fi 2.4G. SUCCESS! The webcam connected automatically and the modem stayed online. It has been working OK for the past 30 minutes. I will leave just the single webcam connected and see if the modem continues working properly for the next 24 hours. If it does, I will add the remaining webcams one at a time. I will update this thread sometime on Friday. Thanks to everyone who suggested disabling UPnP!!!

My modem received a software update two days ago.  So far it seems to have fixed my WiFi issue where it completely goes out.  I have not tested turning on UPNP yet.  Hopefully that has been addressed in this update too.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

dredman,

It should be addressed in the update, but I can't say for positive if it was or not...  Maybe @Amanda or @Liz can chime in and let us know whether or not it does.

Hi folks,

Yes, a modem update was rolled out to a few gateways for now, which includes the one dredman is on. This update eliminates the need to disable UPnP. Once the update is rolled out nationwide we will make an announcement.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!