cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HT2000W IPv6 inbound services

Assistant Professor

Re: HT2000W IPv6 inbound services

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

Sadly with how these units work, I don't think the gateways will tolerate it very well...

Sadly, seems like another unfulfilled promise. Maybe not so much a promise but sure remember many old posts by long time posters and official reps that IPv6 would result in reliable static IP direct connection over satellite. No? Am I really getting that senile?

Would think some dedicated servers on the gateway side would be able to handle it and only a few millisecond delay on an already high latency system. Maybe they don't feel the investment on return is worth it.

Associate Professor

I never said it, I just said that IPv6 is the only way to remotely connect to these terminals.  Static IPv6 wont be coming any time soon.

Assistant Professor

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

I never said it, I just said that IPv6 is the only way to remotely connect to these terminals.  Static IPv6 wont be coming any time soon.

Guess I am senile then because I sure remember everyone talking up what a savior IPv6 would be for satellite, especially on Gen 5. I'll shutup now. Sometimes good to rock the boat IMO, how we progress.

Sophomore

Actually its really CLOSE to working correctly, and the issue may be on my side... 

If you setup your biz/home router (not the hw router) to DHCPv6 it obtains a ipv6 /62 prefix that it can then advertise and hand out. In fact on my sonicwall I can request a prefix via dhcpv6  and unlike @pswired experiences, my prefix has NOT changed since day 1.  The modems public ipv6 does change however.

I can traceroute all the way to my sonicwall, and see ping packets come in, but when I hand them back to the HW Router it doesn't seem to know how to route them (or its not advertising a route back).  Note that this could be a routing issue on my sonicwall itself as my hughesnet is a backup connection and it seems to want to route the packets back out my primary interface.

If I plug directly into the HW router, and set my computer to "Automatic" instead of dhcpv6 i get the same experience as @pswired ... I can make everything work but the router is handing out a different ipv6 prefix which seems to change often.

Sophomore

On another note... as @pswired said it's important to web-reboot your modem after making ANY changes... Note that this is not the Administration-->Reboot button (it appears this just resets the WiFi interface)...

Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 10.11.34 PM.png

You need to goto the "i" menu and select the Reboot button at the top of the screen.

Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 10.13.18 PM.png

Sophomore

I can confirm @pswired findings... appears the delegated IP they are assigning each of us changes "often"... Ive had one stick around for 2-3 days and other times it changes a couple fo times an hour.

@Liz have there been ANY updates from the engineers on this?

Hi tracerrx,

Thanks for posting, I've not gotten any word back on this. I've pinged them for an update.

Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Hi folks,

Thank you all for your patience, I was just informed that engineering has this concern on their list, it will still be a while before we can get any useful updates. Once I have any news to share, I'll post back.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.
Sophomore

@Liz Thanks for the update... For some reason they appear to be allocating ipv6 /62's dynamically instead of issuing static /64's like the rest of the industry (Comcast, Verizon, ATT, Windstream etc).  It makes no sense to issue a /62 dynamically for us to hand out internally only to have it change minutes later... 

I would rather have a single /128 and it be static then this dynamically assigned /62 prefix that changes on a whim.  It's not like there is any shortage of ipv6's.

Hi folks, 

Thank you again for your continued patience. I received information from engineering on how to open the firewall for IPv6 inbound.

Access your Wifi Settings from the System Control Center at 192.168.0.1.

From the left menu, navigate to Advanced Setup>Firewall>IPv6

Click Add Rule button

For Client address enter: ::/0

For protocol, select UDP or TCP, depending on traffic that should be allowed through

For port, enter the start port and destination port.  For instance, to allow ssh traffic onto the site, enter 22 as start port and 23 as stop port.

Enter as many rules as required for the inbound needs.

ipv6.png

Engineering is still working on getting more information out on inbound IPv6 usage, including setting up DDNS, but no ETA on when that will be completed.

Please let me know if this helps.