cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robp1
Junior

HT2000W Overheating issue

Hello,

I have lost count with the HT2000w modem replacements that I have had. It is really strange that tech have come to the home multiple times done testing on my wiring and said that it is not the problem. The modem over heats chronicly. I have nothing around it. The modem is free of derbis with all sides open. it get tired of calling tech support all the time, so I placed a small usb fan next to the modem to help cool it down.

Without the fan:

Conection loss

wifi failure

packet loss

random reboots

With the fan:

Almost Zero loss of network, less streaming issues, and cool to the touch.

Can someone please tell me that I am not the only one who has these issues with this modem? Tech support told me that Hughes was starting to realease newer models, but had celluler capibilities built in? Now if this is true and I could get any other data connection out here I would not have hughesnet. I do not see how the newer style of cell backed modems will help anyone? 

So back to the original point. will it hurt the modem to run the fan on it all the time? It is the only thing that will stop this thing from burning up.

11 REPLIES 11
Robp1
Junior

I should clairify, that I am not unhappy with my service anymore. Once we got the major bugs and equipment failures out of the way the service works like old copper dsl, and we manage fairly well on it. I will not complain about the FAP speeds because there not exactly terrible. We have learned to live with it, and for the most part it works. So Kudos to Hughes on getting the bugs work out, now I just need to figure out what I can do to get this modem mystery solved lol. 

fox12
Junior

I just checked mine, it's just a very little warm on top but the sides and the rest of it is cool.
Is the power supply hot too? Or the plug where it's plugged into the wall? 

Because of the prior issues that we had the tech recomended plugging it direct a surge protector. The cord and block are not hot or warm. I just figure this is a cooling error in that modem. I just wanted to see if I was alone with this issue or if it was a common issue with this modem.

EF
Freshman

30 days old. Modem overheats. Unplu, wait hours, then plug in and have to reset everything.

Tech coming in 2 days.

Also, is there supposed to be a ground wire coming from the dish ? I thought there should be. I only have the coax cable going directly into the router.

Horrific connectivity, Speeds below dial-up. I ran tests for upload, download, latency.

Have read that overheatng could be a cause as well as no ground.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"Speeds below dial-up."

What are your average speeds?

on two different test site: never got to 3mbps download, and upload at best 0.7mbps

Using the Hughesnet speed test, never could get an upload measurement

maratsade

You should start a new ticket under the Tech Support section, and run the required testing protocol.)The techs may be able to fix the issue that's causing such low speeds.  

@EF wrote:

on two different test site: never got to 3mbps download, and upload at best 0.7mbps

Using the Hughesnet speed test, never could get an upload measurement

GabeU

Does the power light turn red on the HT2000W?  A red power light is the signal of an overheating issue.  

No red light. modem felt warm.

all I can think of is no apparent ground wire and intermittently failing router/modem.

The redlight did flash on the first two modems. Shortly after the entire thing just died and never came back online. The current modem has not flashed the red indicator light. I have had little problems since using the fan, prior to the fan the modem would get very hot to the touch, and the entire system lagged. I just wanted to make sure that this would be okay to do seeing as the support process can be a nightmare when I call in. 

GabeU

@Robp1 

Though I can't recall seeing any posts of another person doing so, using a fan with the HT2000W modem shouldn't be a problem.