HT2010W Modem won't keep stable connections to smartphone mobile devices

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arielgipson96
Freshman

HT2010W Modem won't keep stable connections to smartphone mobile devices

Brand new equipment, literally installed Nov. 11th, modem will not keep a stable connection with smart phone devices. BRAND NEW EQUIPMENT. Seems like new customers are getting defective equipment from the company, and that they are aware of it at this point. I have seen about 20 posts with the exact same issue, all have been installed within the last 2 weeks. All have connection problems with a smartphone device and huges net reps just give everyone the run around.

I will NOT be paying to have a brand new modem replaced when the network has literally had this issue since the moment the installer stepped off the property, which is all customer reps want to tell me is I have to pay to replace the equipment that was/is defective and/or has problems with it's default settings that make it unusable. Any advice?

12 REPLIES 12
Liz

Good morning Ariel,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting. I'm sorry to hear this, I can understand how frustrating this is so soon after installation. I'm investigating to sort this out for you. I pulled up your account to review your notes which indicate

"internet/ wifi drop out about every 30-60 seconds before reconnecting again. Not a the router/modem."

You mentioned "It will immediately reboot"- are you referring to the HughesNet modem rebooting? I wanted to clear that up since I'm not sure what you meant by "not at the router/modem".

It seems that when you lose connection, the modem appears to be working normally, so what gives that impression?

If you hardwire a computer or laptop to the modem, there's no sudden disconnect? Or are only mobile devices using the internet?

If you do have a device you can hardwire to the modem, for troubleshooting purposes, the next time you lose connectivity, navigate to 192.168.0.1 and let me know what the state code is. The state code is a series of three numbers, like 0.0.0. 

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

Edit:

You mentioned you saw 20 other posts with the same situation, please direct me to them so I can start building a case for engineering. I already have my eye on Diesel21's case. If this is a trending issue, it's more likely to get our engineer's attention, so your help is much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Good morning Ariel,

In addition to the questions in my previous post, please let me know if the constant disconnects persist on both frequencies, 2.4 GHz and 5GHz. If it only happens on one, please let me know which.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

It is both frequencies. The modem does not reboot the frequency itself does and only for cellphones. Everything else keeps a stable connection as far as I know

"everything else", does this include other wireless devices? I want to determine if all wireless devices are disconnecting from the wifi network.

What exactly is able to keep a stable connection? How is it connected to the internet, via wifi or by LAN cable?

Please also elaborate on "The modem does not reboot the frequency itself". Either the modem or a connected device can reboot, not sure what you mean by the "frequency" rebooting.

You mentioned you saw 20 other posts with the same situation, please direct me to them so I can start building a case for engineering. I already have my eye on Diesel21's case. If this is a trending issue, it's more likely to get our engineer's attention, so your help is much appreciated.

-Liz

There is a women who received a new modem and several others. The issue is only effecting smart phone devices on all cases. Laptops, desktops smart TVs etc are not effected. What I mean by the frequency is both 2g and 5g drop out as if the modem shut off, but the modem maintains stable connections with no lights out. It's simply as if the channels cannot handle a smart phone device and try to disconnect them without permission.

Thank you for the clarification, that is very interesting that cellphones are affected but not the laptop on wifi.

Do you have a link to the other cases? I'm already aware of Diesel21's thread reporting the same symptoms.

-Liz

I don't but if you like I could try to find them. Might take me a little bit as I have a couple of phone appointments for my son starting in about 15minutes

No rush on that, however please let me know what brand cellphones are having the issue.

If they are Samsung, try this to see if it makes a difference:

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S20/Samsung-s20-ultra-dropping-WiFi-connection-constantly...

-Liz

It is an Android device however mine is a motorola. it doesn't seem like this bug fix works

OK thanks!

Our engineers are actively investigating this and are going to implement a change to your system. Please monitor the performance from now until tomorrow, then let me know if you notice any significant improvement. 

Thanks,

Liz

Don't know what you guys did, but for the last few hours I have had a stable connection on my cellphone since the wifi was installed on the 11th. Thank you. I'll give you an update tomorrow morning to make sure the problem doesn't show up again.

Glad to see this Ariel! Hopefully it's still working well now! I'll keep this thread open until tomorrow in case you have any updates to share.

-Liz