Happy New Year! It Can Only Go Up

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ecoalex2
Tutor

Happy New Year! It Can Only Go Up

Happy New Year! It Can Only Get Better Right?

Haven't Seen 1 Mbs, even 500 Kps in a week.

Gen5 2.4.18 7Pm .png

HappyNewYearsCat.png

12 REPLIES 12
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Back at you!

500 Mbps? Wow, that would be something, even fiber folks don't get that.

I'm sitting around 200kbps during the afternoon and evening. I'm definitely partying like it's 1999.

@BirdDogThe neighborhood we are thinking of moving to has fiber 1000Mbps download/upload.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@TYGRHobbes wrote:

The neighborhood we are thinking of moving to has fiber 1000Mbps download/upload.

I think that kind of speed would give my computer a heart attack.  😛  

@BirdDog wrote:

Back at you!

500 Mbps? Wow, that would be something, even fiber folks don't get that.

Many FTTH ISPs provided gigabit connectivity these days. It costs $80 from Verizon if you're a new customer. 

...and you actually get the speeds they advertise.

5Glte is coming to Sacramento in a few months.

I had 11Mbs dwn at 7 Am today. Hope things improve.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Supposedly my neck of the woods is in "block three" of the "Broadband For All" initiative in NY State.  I hope that's the case.  Not really because of the recent slowdowns or because HughesNet has been disappointing for me overall, as it's actually been the opposite with the latter, but when it comes to having landline broadband available it's hard not to make the switch.  I'm not getting my hopes up too much, though, as it'll be just my luck that my little dead end road will be included in the 2% that may not get it.  

Still, I did just get an email reply from them regarding my particular address that did sound somewhat promising.  

GW
Advanced Tutor

Lucky dog.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I have good 4G LTE right now but so expensive for large plans. If price comes down I may jump ship. The lower latency is nice, makes a difference. When I use the the small 3 GB allowance I have it is noticeably faster.

GW
Advanced Tutor

@BirdDog wrote:

I have good 4G LTE right now but so expensive for large plans. If price comes down I may jump ship. The lower latency is nice, makes a difference. When I use the the small 3 GB allowance I have it is noticeably faster.

My wife picked me up a new Galaxy 7 on Black Friday special for $49. When I transferred my service to the new phone, I was very surprised to find dang fast 4G LTE instead of 1xRtt (9 miles from tower). I also learned when reading the new box, I now get 10 GB/mo instead of 3. Very nice but all I can do is feed a single computer on my network because the reseller don't allow hotspotting or tethering like real Vz.  Klink with spoofing or Klink with a VPN are safe and work well. I get anywhere from 3 Mbps to 16+ Mbps. Not sure if that fluctuation is due to traffic or my location. Either way, it's a lot better than 100 kbps on 1x and a nice supplement to my Hughes allowance since I can use it to feed my TV, etc.

I had verizon before this.  They were fast for the first 6 mo. Then gradually got slower and slower and slower until I had to go to work to check my email.  When I came home, my internet would still be trying to load.  

DawnDawn
Freshman

My DL is usually less than .5 Mbps, UL 4ish but lately more like 2ish Mbps.  Is this normal for y'all? I've only been with this co for 6 mo and it is NOT what they promised.  Also, I seem to use gigs faster than toilette paper. Maybe the slowness is somehow eating the gigs? Ha-ha-sigh.