Hughesnet Community

Has anybody been able to get NetFlix to work?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HR
New Poster

Has anybody been able to get NetFlix to work?

Our account is set up to the lowest resolution (SD), and a speed test usually shows a 25 m/b/s or better speed, but after a couple of minutes of watching a movie, it pauses to buffer, then after doing that a few times we get a message from Netflix that our "internet connection was lost".

7 REPLIES 7
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@HR

Though it probably shouldn't be affected due to the resolution being in SD, one thing you can try is turning off, or pausing (Snooze), the Video Data Saver.  

What is Video Data Saver?  

If turning off, or pausing, the Video Data Saver doesn't help, what kind of device are you streaming with, and are you connected to the HT2000W modem via LAN cable or WiFi?  If WiFi, are you connected using the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz band?  Also, if connected via WiFi, have you tried moving the device closer to the modem (if possible)?  

maratsade

Netflix works fine for me.  

"Our account is set up to the lowest resolution (SD)"

Does this mean you have the Video Data Saver enabled on your account? If so, do you have the same problem if you disable it?

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Works fine here, set to low (basic definition), doesn't seem to matter if data saver is on or off. Will take anywhere from 30-90 seconds to start and looks a bit rough at first but then is fine for viewing even on large screen TV for us. Not even subscribed to HD viewing.

Still on Gen4 plan with HT1100 modem and beam/gateway that doesn't seem to be overloaded, which may make a difference.

EDIT: A bit confused by some of the replies as my Netflix options show "Basic video quality" for Low playback and "Standard video quality" for Medium quality playback.

Capture.PNG

Liz

Hi HR,

I see it's your first post, welcome to the community! The suggestions our longtime community members posted are good to try. I do see you currently have the Video Data Saver off, but the one Android device I see connected to your network has poor signal strength. As Gabe suggested, I'd try moving that device closer to the wifi modem if that's your streaming device. Otherwise, the diagnostics I ran on your HughesNet equipment look good and everything is running normally.

Let us know if moving closer to the modem makes a difference.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

HR
New Poster

My Dish Network box running NetFlix is connected to the router via Ethernet.

I've spent hours on the phone with support, who has not been any help at all. I've tried every configuration with resolutions and data saver, etc. with no luck. Last night I connected the Dish box to my 4G modem (from my office), and it everything works fine. When I do a speed test, Hughes comes out 2-3 times faster than the 4G modem, but with 600 mS latency compared to 30 mS on 4G.  Maybe it's the latency, but the 4G service seems blazing faster than Hughsnet.

We've had nothing but trouble with Hughesnet since we had it installed last month, and haven't been able to find anyone in the support group that can help, or that can even speak English, for that matter, so I've giving up an canceling my service.

maratsade

To cancel, you will need to call 866-347-3292.

Since you're still under contract and within the first 90 days of your subscription, you will have to pay the early termination fee ($400) as stated in the subscriber agreement. See: http://legal.hughesnet.com/ServiceTermsAndConditions-current.cfm

To avoid equipment charges, you will also need to return the equipment (modem, power pack, and the radio from the dish). You will get a kit to return the equipment when you cancel the account.

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Having the Dish box in the mix may be causing the problem. Can you not connect to Netflix directly with a computer, smart TV or other device and see if it works?