cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anybody else encountered corrupted HTTPS streams lately?

Re: Has anybody else encountered corrupted HTTPS streams lately?

I even tried your google link with Chrome and no go

Hey Gary,

That particular file was being downloaded by pip, Python's package manager, in a virtualenv environment. I didn't want my development to be tied to the version of Django that apt-get provides. Good idea though! I haven't noticed any issues with apt-get (but then again I always run apt-get late at night).

When pip kept failing, I tried wget, and then Firefox, etc.

Mind you, it failed on Firefox under Windows too. It's not a Linux-specific glitch. Smiley Happy

I'm waiting on a friend to process a packet capture last night of a failed download from his server. Then we can compare our captures and see exactly what packets did and did not get through. I'm expecting to see a lot of missing ACKs server-side.

Also, for the benefit of tech support, I would like to strongly re-iterate that this is not a Linux-specific problem. It can be reproduced under Windows 7 as well. 

For those of us with connectivity problems, maybe it would be helpful if we could all compare what IP gateways we're using...

AMA19HNSIGW31B002Adv 
(and)
AMA19HNSIGW31B001Adv
Associate Professor

The IPv4 vs IPv6 theory is debunked. IPv6 connections can fail too.
Alum

Hi Jackson,

Thank you for posting. I'd like to pull up your account to run some quick diagnostics and see about sending you a modem if you would like it. Can you post a case number or the serial number from your current modem? 

Thank you,
Chris

Hey Chris,

My modem's serial number is B1 0005253068 A8. I would appreciate some remote diagnostics. What does replacement entail? How much does it cost if I choose not to surrender the old modem? (Much as I dislike it, I think it deserves to be put on the shelf next to my trusty dialup modem for sentimental reasons.) Will our local installer need to come up to provision it?

I just had another short outage at 8:22PM; once again, SQF dropped to about 15, then hung out there for awhile until it gradually (over the course of a minute or so) climbed back up to 88. Again, my SQF is usually about 115.

I am wondering if the geography or weather in my area is particularly hostile to radio waves. Evenings tend to wreck havoc on my over-the-air television signal (i.e., most or all of the channels go out) and distant wireless APs that are usually lurking on my network list will drop out around sunset.

Considering that most of my outages have happened in the evening, I'm suspicious...
Associate Professor

Jackson...
Well, right now, the AMA gateway is seeing a lot of heavy weather...  That is, if this is the right gateway...

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=amarillo+texas

You might wanna check for bad weather in that region any time you notice those short outage blips, as there is another customer here that has an SQF issue, but his gateway, and home area are always clear when that happens.

Granted, it's hard for a gateway to go offline due to bad weather compared to our home units...  Then again, home units are 1 or 2 watt transmitters and not the most sensitive either... While the ones on the big dishes are several hundred watts...