cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anybody else encountered corrupted HTTPS streams lately?

Re: Has anybody else encountered corrupted HTTPS streams lately?

Also, Chris, please be aware that I am aware that Web Acceleration is off. I switch it off every time the modem reboots because HughesNet's Web Acceleration system is terrible (Sorry, but it has to be said) and I get better speeds without it, not to mention unmolested HTML without injected JavaScript. 

I also swapped out the LAN cable between my modem and router with a known good one, with no improvement on the corrupted downloads.

I guess HughesNet's firmware developers haven't implemented my idea of making the Web Acceleration toggle persistent across reboots. Nor my idea to make the DNS cache purgable without a reboot... Smiley Sad

I remember the hail storm incident a year or two ago. That must've been fun to fix. Smiley Wink Can't exactly go out and buy a new transmitter off the shelf for one of those dishes.

So, if weather at the ground station affects my SQF, my understanding of SQF is flawed. I always assumed it to be the strength between my terminal and the satellite. But weather at the ground station wouldn't affect that. Is SQF more like a overall metric of the signal quality on both legs of the journey? (Terminal <-> Sat and Sat <-> Station)

The "signal strength" analogy on my HughesNet FAQ might need updating.
Associate Professor

It's pretty much the overall quality and pointing between you, the satellite in space, and the ground station at the other end.  The satellite in space is more or less a massive repeater, if it has no signal from the gateway, then four beams will see the signal bottom out since it's not repeating.  That's the simplest way to put it.
Alum

Hi Jackson,

Your diagnostics look fine. However to get a more optimal depiction of your site diagnostics I would recommend that we send you the HT1100. The newer modem replacement will be at no extra cost to you. However you will have to send you HT1000 back to us. If you do want to keep it, then there will be a charge. Usually around $160 dollars. Let me know if you want to proceed with the replacement. 

Thank you,
Chris
Associate Professor

Chris, may I ask why he would have to send his current HT1000 back and would have to also pay $160 to keep the HT1100 if he has already paid and bought the HT1000?

Also, Gary if I am not mistaken is on the HT1100 and has the same problem with the same files, while on the same ground facility...  So pretty sure that rules the modem version it self out.
Assistant Professor

Charles, since he is not on a lease plan and bought the original modem how would they recoup the cost of the replacement other than return? Is my thinking off?
Alum

Hi Charles,

Sgoshe is correct. After the swap the modem is still a purchase, which means if he were to cancel he would not have to return his equipment, unlike a lease. 

- Chris
Associate Professor

If he has to return the HT1000 to get the HT1100, he shouldn't have to pay the HT1100 purchase fee IMO if he is wanting to keep the HT1100 at the end of things.

Still confused by it...  But ehh, this is why I don't purchase equipment from an ISP. Smiley Happy
Assistant Professor

Charles, he doesn't have to pay anything as long as he returns the HT1000. I'm confused.
Associate Professor

Oh, wait, now I... Nevermind, please dis-regard EVERYTHING I have said...  Gotta love having a horrible summer cold. Smiley Happy

Though, I still doubt the issue is with the modem since someone else on the same gateway has the issue.