cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone conacted the Attorney Generals Office About Data Disappearing?

Has anyone conacted the Attorney Generals Office About Data Disappearing?

My data reset on Jan. 8th and on the 9th I  loss 10% in one day. I am so tired of taking pictures before I get on and after I get off the computer. It snowed here and I could not get on the computer on the 8th. I am tired of their excuses!
9 REPLIES 9
Honorary Alumnus

Re: Has anyone conacted the Attorney Generals Office About Data Disappearing?

Interesting ..... in the respect that you posted the same issue 6 months ago and never replied to it:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/disappearing-down-load-allowance

In fact you have never replied to any of the responses to your 6 posts in the Community to date.

So, starting fresh lets follow the modem isolation test:

The purpose of the test is to document your remaining allowance before shutting down your computer and disconnecting the LAN cable from the rear of the modem and noting the time.

Wait several hours, reconnect the LAN cable and take another screenshot of your remaining allowance.

Post those before and after screenshots here in the post along with the times and the Mods will see if data was used during the period and if so will validate that a LAN disconnect was performed thereby proving  that the loss was on the Hughes end of things.

If no loss occurred during that time then we need to have you connect a single computer directly to the modem during the troubleshooting phase and perhaps install a program like GlassWire on that computer to put some numbers on what programs and processes are using your data.

GlassWire may be found here:

https://www.glasswire.com/help/

GlassWire setup suggestions can be seen below:

(click on pictures for larger images)

Results a will look like this:

The Attorney General likely is not knowledgeable about computers in general and yours in particular.

While your Subscriber Agreement limits your course of recourse to Arbitration it is very likely going the AG route will get you nowhere because you have made no effort to troubleshoot your problem or even so much as to respond to any of your posted topics or replies.

Freshman

Bill,

Just curious.  Can the Malware, viruses, programs running in the background, updates have the ability to hack the HughesNet Modem?   When it snows in my area, snows accumulate on the satellite to completely blocks the signal so I cannot use the Internet, therefore it is impossible for me to use data allowance from my computer. 

So the only way I can see data allowance disappearing would be the modem has been compromised which I doubt since it on this side of the satellite and it is HughesNet Blackbox modem or the HughesNet satellite in orbit itself has been compromised.

Remember, the HughesNet Modem is a  Blackbox.  There is no way for a customer to interrogate  the HughesNet modem internal working. 
Honorary Alumnus

"hack the Hughes Modem" ....

Lets look at the definitions of "hack" .....

I guess common meaning to "hacking" is accessing the data held within or making unauthorized changes.

At the "subscriber level: the only "changes" you can make (other than installation/registration) would be to effect either a toggling of Web Acceleration or a MBX Reset.

Neither of which would add/subtract from a users data allowance.

If someone were to diddle with the installation/registration functions a user would likely find themselves with a terminal that simply would not connect to the Gateway ... out of commission period.

One Biggie "plus" to a Hughes setup is that all users are behind a CGN server that effectively isolates the users system from "terminal to terminal" transactions.

Witness the number of disappointed users that try "tunnel" directly into a surveillance camera ... without a IPv4 Static address it just isn't going to work.

As to "watching" your data allowance disappear ...

Your modem is in constant contact with your Gateway server facility and so a "heartbeat" connection is in effect when ever the modem is powered up and nothing such as inclement weather exists between your terminal and the satellite and the satellite and your assigned Gateway.

For more info on beams and gateways see this topic:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/beams-gateways-and-loading-overloading

The exchange of "data used" is going to be in the closed loop of "gateway>satellite>user terminal" which is NOT the same as user requested data which will go through the Hughes Loop and then onto the Internet .... to what ever sites/servers a user requests data from and then that data is sent to the gateway and then transmitted to a users computer.

So, are there "movable parts" inside your modem that will affect your usage .... NO

A user can very easily "invite" virus/malware/adware/keylogger activity as a result of their "computing habits" and that WILL have an impact on a users data usage but is not a result of "hacking the Modem".

Freshman

Gwalk900,

So, you are saying that when my satellite dish loses connection due to outside forces like snow accumulation, and is no longer connecting to the satellite orbit, the satellite in orbit will continue to attempt to deliver any outstanding request.  

Are you saying that the satellite in orbit, even though it is unable to deliver my request to an out-of-commission receiver will continue to count against my data allowance usage!?!?!?

Associate Professor

No, the only time allowance is counted is when it passed the LAN port on the modem, hence the reason if you leave your modem off for half a month, and you get a reset on data during that half, their system doesn't register the reset on the website till after you plug it back up.
Honorary Alumnus

What he said.
Freshman

Charles R. Scott, that is not what Gwalk900 said.  But, what Gwalk900 suggested does more readily fits the DDDD issue in most cases.  

I will accept what you said, however if the satellite dish is off-line and the data being passed from my computer to the modem Ethernet port is counted as data usage even when I am not talking to the Satellite in Orbit, because of snow on the dish?  This would account for the other type of DDDD issues.

I know that I cannot access the data allowance information when checking the HT1100 System Control Center on the modem when the Satellite Receive and Transmit Status shows to be down on the new generation modems.
Honorary Alumnus

Look at the modems SCC.
When lock is lost with the gateway there can be no usage of data.
When lock is lost you will not be able to see your remaining data in both the Download Status Meter or the modems SCC readout.
You COULD monitor your remaining data (or see a drop) If you had another connection and logged into your "dashboard" and kept an eye on the "at a glance" meter.
Using another connection to view that info would not use your Hughes data allowence.
Highlighted

Hi sbadour,

We'll be merging this into your last thread, the private one, where you were instructed by Liz to perform the data usage test. We look forward to your reply there.

Thanks
Amanda