Hughesnet Community

Has anyone notice an overated service such as up to 10 gigabyte per second download speed?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
David White Den

Has anyone notice an overated service such as up to 10 gigabyte per second download speed?

My bandwidth use is well over the size of the file downloaded. I get a maximum download speed of 1.5 - 2 gigabytes per second, but it quickly fluctuates to 500kps and usually stays at that rate.
21 REPLIES 21
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Maximum burst speeds are dynamic, and will vary wildly from moment to moment.

If you want a more accurate measurement of your average download speed, try taking the actual file size in Megabytes and dividing it by the number of seconds it takes to download it.

If a 10 MB file takes 10 seconds, or 1 MB per second, then 1 MB/second = 8 Mbps.(8 bits to 1 byte)

Also, try running various download-only speed tests at http://testmy.net, selecting various download file sizes. 

Regardless of momentary speed fluctuations, are you able to do what you want to do when you want to do it?
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
michael lane

Summer daytimes hrs generally the least effective for signals. Even if you tweak the signal transmission/reception, chances are it will not stay with you. Later to early hrs seems to produce the best results this time of year.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

The signal, unless dropping below the low thirties, has nothing to do with it.  A stronger signal does not equate to higher speed, and the same goes the other way.  Signal has nothing to do with speed.  It's the peak usage periods and beam loads that mostly affect speeds. 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Ten gigabytes per second, 1.5 - 2 GB per second, say whaaat? Surely you meant mega bits per second.
michael lane

Hence, daytime hours equate to usage.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

What?  Usage equates to usage.  Peak usage times can equate to lower speeds.  It has nothing to do with daytime hours or nighttime hours.  The majority of the peak usage is in early/late evening and mid morning. 

You post was about signals, which has zip to do with speed, unless your signal drops below the low thirties, at which point you will go from full available speed at the time to zero speed.   

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Michael Lane,

Are you a Hughesnet user ?

" Even if you tweak the signal transmission/reception, chances are it will not stay with you."

In a satellite connection there is no "tweaking the system" beyond the initial installation aim. It is very highly suggested that user not alter or adjust their systems aim. Of course router settings can be optimized  and both wired and wireless adapter settings reviewed.

"Summer daytimes hrs generally the least effective for signals"

In a properly aimed Hughes system signal strength has no bearing on season or time of day. Signal strength i also not related to speed. The system is digital. As long as the signal is above "cut-off" it will operate normally. On the very edge of cut-off it made change to a "impaired" or degraded condition.
Usually this is due to weather conditions between your terminal and the satellite as well as between the satellite and your assigned Gateway location.

The "periods" that Gabe was referring too was the two "token buckets" that Hughes has our monthly data allowances divided  in to:

Anytime Bytes (8am to 2am local) commonly called day time bytes
and
Bonus Bytes (2am to 8am local) commonly called night time byts.

It has nothing to do with the propagation of radio signal through the atmosphere.
Speeds however are another thing. The number of users as well as their type of activity varies from moment to moment. Together those two things place a greater throughput burden on the satellite and the beam and Gateway loading. The more people on your beam actively connected the slower everyones system becomes. It is traffic related not time or temp related.

El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

In the analog world, there was a direct correlation between signal strength and "data" quality. If you're old enough to remember analog TV, the picture quality would gradually deteriorate as the signal strength became lower and the picture would gradually become more "snowy" (AKA "noise") until at some point all you had was snow on the screen. Nowadays, most modern TVs put up a blue screen so you no longer see the snow. You either get a picture or you get a blue screen.

You can still get some sense of this gradual signal/quality fade with FM radio as you travel further from the broadcast station. Signals gradually deteriorate until you can no longer hear the station above the background noise.

But in the digital world, data transmission tends to collapse "all at once" when the signal drops below a certain level. If you have satellite TV, you can see this with a slightly mis-pointed dish in a rain storm: You have a picture, then it pixelates as data packets are dropped, then it suddenly disappears altogether. There is no "snowy" picture. You either have a picture or you don't.

Same thing with data transmission. You either have data transmission or you don't.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Yep, I do over the air digital TV (OTA) and get the same quality of picture with weaker signals as with stronger signals. First pic is strong signal, second is weaker. Note the weaker signal is higher definition and thus higher throughput (network rate). Even it is weaker and quality is in yellow, the picture is just as good as the strong one. In fact better because higher definition.

PS: Symbol quality is 100% on both, that is what matters with digital.
Chris11
Alum

Hello David,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! I'm going to guess you meant Mbps correct? As for the speed shown when downloading a file, El Dorado Networks description and suggestions are good places to start. Your actual speeds are what you should gauge. If you do feel the speeds your are receiving are not adequate please run some tests on testmy.net so we can evaluate them. I'd also like to take a look at your account. If you can provide me with a recent case number or your modems serial, I'll be able to run some diagnostics on your site. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you,
Chris
David White Den

Yes, I meant the advertised rate of download is misleading.
David White Den

Quantum computing is near, China is successfully working with it. It is satellite which I am referring to with such speeds that would make your head spin.
David White Den

8 bits are in a single byte. Gothcha. Fact remains.
David White Den

There are some sites that provide the speeds I would like to have on all. Guess you can't have everything.
David White Den

This would include some of the testing sites (with varying rates).
David White Den

Thanks, but nothing you can do.
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Which fact is that?
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Maximum burst speeds are dynamic, and will vary wildly from moment to moment.... 
...and will vary from site to site. Some sites contain quite a bit more data to download than others (ie Facebook) and take longer.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

"Quantum computing is near, China is successfully working with it. It is satellite which I am referring to with such speeds that would make your head spin."

That is truly wonderful.

In the meantime "dance with the one that done brung ya".

Wishful thinking at this point.

If  you have only one ISP option then you have to learn how to get the most from what you have at the time.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Power by Controlled Fusion is just around the corner also. I'm not holding my breath on that either. Think I'll stick with what's available to me right now, not dream of what "might be" that I have no control over.