Having 70% - 100% packet loss

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kathynaylor
Sophomore

Having 70% - 100% packet loss

Having 70% - 100% packet loss when running the connectivity test?  What is happening?

22 REPLIES 22
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

You show yellow for System Status at the top of page. What does it say when you click on that? Here is mine:

kathynaylor
Sophomore

I keep trying to respond, thanks for your question. Have to also mention that this is very intermittent problem, within second connectivity goes from good to none and back again within seconds.
kathynaylor
Sophomore

I keep trying to respond, thanks for your question. Have to also mention that this is very intermittent problem, within second connectivity goes from good to none and back again within seconds.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Kathy, anything happen lately that could have knocked your dish out of alignment? The official reps will be back here tomorrow and can remotely check your system.
kathynaylor
Sophomore

Not that I know of, it's on a pole on the property and seems pretty stable. I have checked all cables, rebooted everything, so I just dont have a clue.
Thanks for replying, I read posts from you experts all the time and learn so much. We probably don't tell you guys how much you are appreciated.
Hopefully Liz or someone can help tomorrow.
Thanks again,
K
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Most welcome. Will bet they'll get you fixed up.
Amanda

Hello Kathy,

Thank you for all the helpful screenshots! We'll help figure this one out. I should be able to locate your account with the serial number in that picture and run some diagnostics to see what is going on. I will let you know what I find.

Thanks
Amanda
kathynaylor
Sophomore

Hi Amanda,
Were you able to find out anything about our problem?  Do you need more information from me?
Thanks,
Kathy
kathynaylor
Sophomore

Hi Amanda,
Were you able to find out anything about our problem?  Do you need more information from me?
Thanks,
Kathy
Amanda

Hi Kathy

Thank you for waiting. I was able to find out what is going on.. sort of. We're getting a bad alignment reading but right now I was looking at your notes and noticed that you've had this issue before. In your installation pictures there is another dish - do you have trouble with that one too? 

There were a few things that stuck out to me and I wanted to get these questions together for you. I will try to sum it up. It looks like there was a surge in your signal late last year (around September-December) and after that, it slowly started to die off. Do you have the HughesNet modem plugged into a surge protector of any kind? The last thing I wanted to know is the ground around where the dish pole is mounted. Would you consider that dirt stiff enough to keep the pole straight if you got a lot of rain? I say this because I see you're located in an area that recently got hit by all the big Houston storms and I'm thinking the pole shifted in the mushy ground.

Thanks
Amanda
kathynaylor
Sophomore

Amanda,

Sorry, I replied yesterday, not sure what happened to it.

No surge protector.  The ground is pretty stable where the pole is mounted, but I guess anything could happen. The directtv dish is on a separate pole and we haven't had any trouble with it. Maybe the installer should have used some concrete to set the pole?
Anyway, we have been without usable internet for about 5 or 6 days now and it is getting serious. We cannot even pay our bills without access, lol.  Please help.

Kathy
Amanda

Whoops!! Okay, lets get you someone there quick. What days and times work best for you? I will see what the availability looks like for your local technician. I feel like the pole should be set with concrete... I'll have to double check if there are specifications in certain situations. 

Edit: Just checked, the earliest I have is tomorrow morning between 8AM and 11AM 

Thanks
Amanda
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Amanda, I can't imagine a situation where no concrete with ground mount pole would be OK. Maybe if anchored with bolts to an existing immovable structure already in place I suppose.
kathynaylor
Sophomore

Amanda, just give me the soonest day/time and one of us will be there.
Thanks!
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I can't imagine an install without concrete, either.  Not only to have it vertically stable, but to keep it from rotating, as well.  Having an immovable mount is critical for any satellite connection.  When they upgraded me to Gen4 they put the new dish on the same pole the old one was on, but it had been installed really well in 2004.  I wouldn't be able to move that pole a millimeter without a sledgehammer.  Both of my Hughesnet installation experiences have been very good.   
Amanda

Hi Kathy

It's scheduled for tomorrow. I was thinking maybe there would be some weird reason, but after asking around, no. The pole has to be cemented. I have made a note on the tech visit order to see if maybe it was cemented and there isn't enough concrete or if it needs to be re-dug, then take photos for our records. We'll see! Let us know if you have any concerns Kathy.

Thanks
Amanda
kathynaylor
Sophomore

THANKS!

Will they call before coming or give a time frame?
Amanda

Oops! Forgot to mention the time. I scheduled it for the 8AM to 11AM time slot. The tech will call you before dispatching to your location.

Thanks,
Amanda
kathynaylor
Sophomore

Great!  Thanks so much for your help!  Thanks to the rest of you guys also!
Kathy
Amanda

Hi Kathy

Just wanted to check in. Did the tech coming by fix your problem? Let me know.

Thanks,
Amanda