cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having 70% - 100% packet loss

Highlighted

Re: Having 70% - 100% packet loss

Hi Kathy

Thank you for waiting. I was able to find out what is going on.. sort of. We're getting a bad alignment reading but right now I was looking at your notes and noticed that you've had this issue before. In your installation pictures there is another dish - do you have trouble with that one too? 

There were a few things that stuck out to me and I wanted to get these questions together for you. I will try to sum it up. It looks like there was a surge in your signal late last year (around September-December) and after that, it slowly started to die off. Do you have the HughesNet modem plugged into a surge protector of any kind? The last thing I wanted to know is the ground around where the dish pole is mounted. Would you consider that dirt stiff enough to keep the pole straight if you got a lot of rain? I say this because I see you're located in an area that recently got hit by all the big Houston storms and I'm thinking the pole shifted in the mushy ground.

Thanks
Amanda
Highlighted
Sophomore

Amanda,

Sorry, I replied yesterday, not sure what happened to it.

No surge protector.  The ground is pretty stable where the pole is mounted, but I guess anything could happen. The directtv dish is on a separate pole and we haven't had any trouble with it. Maybe the installer should have used some concrete to set the pole?
Anyway, we have been without usable internet for about 5 or 6 days now and it is getting serious. We cannot even pay our bills without access, lol.  Please help.

Kathy
Highlighted

Whoops!! Okay, lets get you someone there quick. What days and times work best for you? I will see what the availability looks like for your local technician. I feel like the pole should be set with concrete... I'll have to double check if there are specifications in certain situations. 

Edit: Just checked, the earliest I have is tomorrow morning between 8AM and 11AM 

Thanks
Amanda
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Amanda, I can't imagine a situation where no concrete with ground mount pole would be OK. Maybe if anchored with bolts to an existing immovable structure already in place I suppose.
Highlighted
Sophomore

Amanda, just give me the soonest day/time and one of us will be there.
Thanks!
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

I can't imagine an install without concrete, either.  Not only to have it vertically stable, but to keep it from rotating, as well.  Having an immovable mount is critical for any satellite connection.  When they upgraded me to Gen4 they put the new dish on the same pole the old one was on, but it had been installed really well in 2004.  I wouldn't be able to move that pole a millimeter without a sledgehammer.  Both of my Hughesnet installation experiences have been very good.   

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted

Hi Kathy

It's scheduled for tomorrow. I was thinking maybe there would be some weird reason, but after asking around, no. The pole has to be cemented. I have made a note on the tech visit order to see if maybe it was cemented and there isn't enough concrete or if it needs to be re-dug, then take photos for our records. We'll see! Let us know if you have any concerns Kathy.

Thanks
Amanda
Highlighted
Sophomore

THANKS!

Will they call before coming or give a time frame?
Highlighted

Oops! Forgot to mention the time. I scheduled it for the 8AM to 11AM time slot. The tech will call you before dispatching to your location.

Thanks,
Amanda
Sophomore

Great!  Thanks so much for your help!  Thanks to the rest of you guys also!
Kathy