Having problems again...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jasmer
Freshman

Having problems again...

I had a problem with what turned out to be a misaligned dish a few months ago. I'm having connectivity problems again since yesterday.

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Connectivity-issues-HT1100/td-p/77321

It'll cycle between various errors, but even when it says error code 0.0.0 Fully Operational it's a crapshoot if I'll be able to connect at all. It drops every few seconds or so just like last time. No matter what it says, it still reports that packets are being recieved and transmitted. Signal strength is pretty consistently 105 today. I even checked the wather for Rapid City and it seems to be sunny. Any ideas? 🙂

15 REPLIES 15
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Jasmer

If you go into your modem's Advanced menu (the little i on the upper right), click on General, then State Code Monitor, what kind of codes are you seeing?  

It may be beneficial to post a pic of the State Codes, but make sure to block out your DSS like you did on the pictures of your linked post.  

BTW, I noticed on the last System Summary picture from your SCC on your linked post you forgot to block out your account number (DSS....).  You might want to edit that.    

I can't seem to edit my last post so I can't block anything out. Pics would need deleted.

Anyway, here's the screenshot

errors.jpg

GabeU

@Jasmer

I'm not sure, but I believe many of those state codes point to a connection issue, but caused by what I can't say.  I'm sure the reps will be able to get a better idea of what's going on, and they'll probably run some remote diagnostics on the system, too.  If you don't already, it would be a good idea to leave the modem powered so they are able to run the diagnostics, but you probably already know that from your previous experience.  

Whatever is causing the issue, I hope that they can analyze and determine it quickly and get you back to normal function.  Sorry I couldn't be of much help.   

We've checked all the cables, nothing is loose. Tried rebooting the modem, tried unplugging it, waiting a while, and plugging it back in.

Hi Jasmer

Sorry to hear you are having trouble again. I do recall being concerned with the place that your dish is mounted and the fact that there are some very tall trees in front of it. If a technician is able to get a good line of sight using a pole mount, would you be okay with having the dish moved over?

~Amanda

Yeah that's fine, if it doesn't cost me anything. Whatever's clever.

Possibly mildly interesting observation. My signal strength had dropped all the way down to 90-something the last couple days, then gradually started working its way back up. It was around 103 yesterday, and it's 113 today.

I've been thinking about the trees being possible culprits. I'm curious how the signal is fine like 95% of the time then suddenly drops. This spring it was apparently out of alignment, but after it was fixed it worked perfectly again. I mean looking from the dish to the trees they seem likely culprits but they haven't interfered with our signal until now? Here's a picture of the trees in question, the 3 to the right. I will try to get a better picture later today.

DSCN0975.JPG

Although the dish feed arm might "point" to any of those trees, the actual take-off angle might be a lot higher. It's kind of hard to tell without looking at a profile of the dish wrt to the height of the trees.

Saying that, because of the distance, it might be hard to get a picture of the dish and the trees all in the same shot. If it's safely possible to stand underneath and behind the actual feed arm, you might be able to tell which of those trees may be interfering.

It may also be possible it isn't them at all, but something near the dish within 40 degrees of it's "view" that may be causing reflections with either reception or transmission. So you may want to look at any foliage or metal objects co-located near the dish as well.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Unfortunately I don't have a ladder tall enough to check that. Signal strength is at 108 now and it's been working more often than it hasn't today. Of course as soon as I go to post this "12.1.9 - A transmit problem has occurred" lol. Still not understanding how my connection can work perfectly since November 20th 2016 minus a misalignment issue this spring, and a similar issue now. If my trees were the problem, or the mountain behind them, wouldn't that cause more consistent interference? I don't see how it can work perfectly without problems for months at a time and then suddenly it's like "oh but there are trees in the way." This connetivity problem is not consistent, or an on and off problem. Once it was an alignment issue, and that was 110% resolved when the tech came out and fixed it. I mean it was immediately resolved. The trees were not the issue, it was out of alignment, he confirmed that, and fixed it, and it was instantly working perfectly again.

Out of curiosity why would it report the following if all the cords and cables are in fact connected? ("LAN cable is not attached.")

387440308/25/2017 16:15:0308/25/2017 16:15:151.2415%

Jasmer,

Thank you for providing that picture and information. We prefer not to point right into trees like that because the leaves grow out in the spring and block the signal. 

I am placing a custom order with our corporate team so we ensure the technician is aware of what must be done and that we cover yours and his charges. Hopefully we can get the dish put on a pole where it can hit under the foliage or around it. 

The technician will be contacting you this week to schedule a time that works for you. In the meantime, I've applied some credit to your account for the inconvenience. 

~Amanda

@Amanda wrote:

I am placing a custom order with our corporate team so we ensure the technician is aware of what must be done and that we cover yours and his charges. Hopefully we can get the dish put on a pole where it can hit under the foliage or around it. 

The technician will be contacting you this week to schedule a time that works for you. In the meantime, I've applied some credit to your account for the inconvenience. 

~Amanda 

Okay, that sounds great, thank you so much!

Quick question, is it possible for the tech to text instead of call? I work afternoons and my phone will be turned off while I'm at work. I don't have voicemail set up so wednesday, thursday, and friday it will be impossible to get ahold of me after 1:30 pm. I do have monday and tuesday off.

Jasmer

I have been trying to get ahold of our designated person here in installs, but I think the disaster relief in Texas has him very busy. Dealers/installers do have text messaging available to them for communication and I've added such a note to your repair order. Let me know if you do not hear anything in the next day or so.

Thank you

Amanda

Hi, thanks again. Tech came by this evening, replaced the radio and installed a new modem. Everything's working now. He didn't seem too concerned with the trees, but an upgrade to Gen5 may be in our near future as we apparently have a better line of site from our back yard to that satellite. So if the problem persists I'll be back asking about that lol.

Thanks again guys.

GabeU

@Jasmer wrote:

Possibly mildly interesting observation. My signal strength had dropped all the way down to 90-something the last couple days, then gradually started working its way back up. It was around 103 yesterday, and it's 113 today.

I've been thinking about the trees being possible culprits. I'm curious how the signal is fine like 95% of the time then suddenly drops. This spring it was apparently out of alignment, but after it was fixed it worked perfectly again. I mean looking from the dish to the trees they seem likely culprits but they haven't interfered with our signal until now? Here's a picture of the trees in question, the 3 to the right. I will try to get a better picture later today.

DSCN0975.JPG

Boy, that brings back memories!  

Before I upgraded to Gen5, and using a sort of convoluted method, I determined that a tree was going to be right smack dab in the middle of where the dish would be pointed, so I ended up cutting it down.  It was based on what info I could find at the time, but when the tech came it turned out that I had actually been dead on.  I was glad, as it had been a LOT of work.  

Now I have another tree that is growing up and may, but more than likely will, become full enough to start causing problems next year, so this fall, after it loses its leaves, it's coming down, too.  It's sort of to the side of the where the dish is pointed, but it's becoming more full, and rather than growing UP to be a problem it's growing OUT to become one.  Ugh.  The boonies.  Gotta love it.  😛