Having trouble connecting to some sites

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lighthope1
Senior

Having trouble connecting to some sites

I have been having trouble connecting to some sites.

Can't connect to adobe.com or comodo.com.  (Last successful connection to comodo.com was 5 days ago)

Pages just hang or load but display nothing.

Tried different browsers, tried turning off firewall, tried safe mode with networking, tried turning off Web Acceleration.  Nothing.

Thoughts?

11 REPLIES 11
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@lighthope1

A few things I would try...

1.  Clear your browser cache.

2.  Flush your DNS cache  (site with instructions).

3.  Power cycle your HughesNet modem - Unplug the modem at the wall outlet or power brick (NOT at the back of the modem), wait at least 30 seconds, then plug it back it.  Then wait about five minutes and try the sites again.

4  Try an alternate DNS server, like Google's  (site with instructions).

I was able to get to those two sites without issue, so hopefully one of those things above will help.  I would try them in the order given.  

@GabeU wrote:

@lighthope1

A few things I would try...

1.  Clear your browser cache.

2.  Flush your DNS cache  (site with instructions).

3.  Power cycle your HughesNet modem - Unplug the modem at the wall outlet or power brick (NOT at the back of the modem), wait at least 30 seconds, then plug it back it.  Then wait about five minutes and try the sites again.

4  Try an alternate DNS server, like Google's  (site with instructions).

I was able to get to those two sites without issue, so hopefully one of those things above will help.  I would try them in the order given.  

No joy.

Couldn't figure out how to do #4.  Site instructions are for Windows 7 and I have Windows 10.

GabeU

@lighthope1

I don't know if it will help, but to change the DNS server in Windows 10, click on Start > Settings> Network & Internet, then click on "Change Adapter Options" in the middle of the page.  Then right click on the adapter being used (Ethernet, in my case) and click Properties.  Under the Networking tab, click "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" to highlight it, then click Properties, then tick "Use the following DNS server addresses" and enter 8.8.8.8 on the first line and 8.8.4.4 on the second, then click Okay.  Then do the same for "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)", but with this one use 2001:4860:4860::8888 on the first line and 2001:4860:4860::8844 on the second.  Make sure to use the double colon in between the third and fourth entry for each line.  Then click Okay.  Then click Close to exit the window, then X out of the other(s).  

Again, I don't know if this will help.  I keep mine on Google's DNS permanently as it seems to speed up the process of getting to new pages.  If it doesn't help you can leave it the way you set it, or go back to HughesNet's DNS for both IPv4 and IPv6 by going back in to each and ticking "Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically" and clicking Okay, then Close.  Then X out of everything.  

If it doesn't help, others, including the reps, may have an idea/fix.  And, of course, the reps will be the ultimate people to help if others can't.  

@GabeU wrote:

@lighthope1

I don't know if it will help, but to change the DNS server in Windows 10, click on Start > Settings> Network & Internet, then click on "Change Adapter Options" in the middle of the page.  Then right click on the adapter being used (Ethernet, in my case) and click Properties.  Under the Networking tab, click "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" to highlight it, then click Properties, then tick "Use the following DNS server addresses" and enter 8.8.8.8 on the first line and 8.8.4.4 on the second, then click Okay.  Then do the same for "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)", but with this one use 2001:4860:4860::8888 on the first line and 2001:4860:4860::8844 on the second.  Make sure to use the double colon in between the third and fourth entry for each line.  Then click Okay.  Then click Close to exit the window, then X out of the other(s).  

Again, I don't know if this will help.  I keep mine on Google's DNS permanently as it seems to speed up the process of getting to new pages.  If it doesn't help you can leave it the way you set it, or go back to HughesNet's DNS for both IPv4 and IPv6 by going back in to each and ticking "Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically" and clicking Okay, then Close.  Then X out of everything.  

If it doesn't help, others, including the reps, may have an idea/fix.  And, of course, the reps will be the ultimate people to help if others can't.  

No luck.

I've tried this on two different computers, so I am kind of at a loss at the moment.

Additional:

Unable to connect to Opera website to install new browser.

Can download installer, but when installer attempts to download additional files, it hangs.

maratsade

Is your computer up to date? 

@maratsade wrote:

Is your computer up to date? 

Yes.

I tested on a third computer and have the same problem.

This definately has to be a connection problem rather than a virus or something bogging it down.  I'm running a virus scan anyway.

Last week or so we had trouble with our connection.  HughesNet engineering fixed the problem, but that seems(?) to be when this new problem started.

@Liz@Amanda

@lighthope1

This morning I was made aware there was an update for Onyx (a Mac utility program, but that's irrelevant). I opened Onyx and started the update process, but instead got an error that either the site was unreachable or I had no connection. It was available a bit later afterwards, but it was a sputtery download to say the least.

So I sympathise, but there are a couple of things at play here:

1. There's bad weather almost everywhere east of the Mississippi currently, which is sure to have an effect on local connections to the satellite, especially if you're in the East.

2. The fires in Northern California are likely having an impact everywhere west of the Mississippi, mainly due to having to dynamically reroute the majority of the internet's infrastructure. Try using the SF server of TestMy and you'll see it's not working very well.

Please be patient as the weather clears and hopefully NoCal survives... surely these are things that HughesNet has no control over.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@MarkJFine wrote:

@lighthope1

This morning I was made aware there was an update for Onyx (a Mac utility program, but that's irrelevant). I opened Onyx and started the update process, but instead got an error that either the site was unreachable or I had no connection. It was available a bit later afterwards, but it was a sputtery download to say the least.

So I sympathise, but there are a couple of things at play here:

1. There's bad weather almost everywhere east of the Mississippi currently, which is sure to have an effect on local connections to the satellite, especially if you're in the East.

2. The fires in Northern California are likely having an impact everywhere west of the Mississippi, mainly due to having to dynamically reroute the majority of the internet's infrastructure. Try using the SF server of TestMy and you'll see it's not working very well.

Please be patient as the weather clears and hopefully NoCal survives... surely these are things that HughesNet has no control over.

This seems to have started before all those problems became an issue.

Hi lighthope,

My apologies for the late response. I did some testing on your HughesNet equipment and did have some issues trying to get it connected to the websites you listed above. Try to access Comodo's website by browsing to this IP address: 91.199.212.176 and let me know if you are able to reach the page. You can also attempt Adobe via 193.104.215.58 or www.macromedia.com

Thanks,

Amanda

@Amanda wrote:

Hi lighthope,

My apologies for the late response. I did some testing on your HughesNet equipment and did have some issues trying to get it connected to the websites you listed above. Try to access Comodo's website by browsing to this IP address: 91.199.212.176 and let me know if you are able to reach the page. You can also attempt Adobe via 193.104.215.58 or www.macromedia.com

Thanks,

Amanda

Talked to support on the phone on Wednesday morning.  They told me that my problem had been escallated and that someone from engeineering was to call me that evening at 9 PM EDT.

Surprise, surprise, no one called.

Fortunately, I seemed to have found the fix on my own.

Turning off TCP/IPv6 has restored access to all sites.  So I guess HughesNet doesn't get along with v6.  Strange that this problem only surfaced after engineering did something to my connection last week.

Again, I must express my extreme displeasure at HughesNet who once again failed to follow through with a promised call.  Do you remember several months ago when installer after installer failed to show up for scheduled appointments?  I do.