Hughesnet Community

Heads Up. Windows 10 1809 Update is now out and being downloaded to computers...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Heads Up. Windows 10 1809 Update is now out and being downloaded to computers...

It's fairly large.  

It was 2.7GB for me.  

18 REPLIES 18

I was going to do the update now, but my system is not working.  My satellite transmit was showing red.  Also had red in diagnostics, I tried to reboot my modem since I haven’t in months.  Reboot didn’t help.  I unplugged the modem for a min and plugged it back in.   It worked for a few minutes then went back to showing a red status.   I switched to my cellphone hotspot to check here for any known problems.  I just switched back to HughesNet connection and it is showing green.  

My diagnostics page was cleared when I rebooted the modem.  Since the reboot it shows red Xs for :55 :0 and :5 for uplink everything else is green.  I tried to post a comment here and my connection went out again and shows a red X for :15, :10 shows green.   

Is is there a problem with HughesNet or is the problem with my modem itself?  

Signal strength shows in high 80s

State Code12.7.2 -- A transmit problem has occurred 
Summary Operational StateDown 
Data Allowance Remaining35.21 GB 
System Status
Satellite Receive StatusUp 
Satellite Transmit StatusDown (12.7.2) 
LAN StatusUp 1G FD 
IP Gateway Association StateAssociating... 
TCP AccelerationDown 
Web AccelerationUp 
Suspension StateNot Suspended 
Software Download StatusUp to date 
GabeU

@wildcats198308

It's been working fine here.  You'd probably be best off starting a new topic if you're still having issues with it.  

Edit:  It could be weather related, too.   There's lots of bad weather out in gateway country right now.  

maratsade

The update that I got today (KB4100347) downloaded in about 10 minutes for me (was 1.2 MB).  That was over 90 minutes ago. Then it spent all that time "preparing to install."  What the fork, Microsoft?

Edit: After it finished "preparing to install," it started downloading itself again.  Wow. 

@GabeU wrote:

It's fairly large.  

It was 2.7GB for me.  

GabeU

@maratsade wrote: 

Edit: After it finished "preparing to install," it started downloading itself again.  Wow. 

That's what mine did.  When it first said preparing to install I thought, "How can it be that small?"  Then it hit.  LOL.  

I think it also downloads more while it's going through it's update process, but because the computer isn't fully up it's not seen by Glasswire.  After restarting, but while still in the "getting things ready" screen, or whatever it says, it mentioned updates, and looking over at my modem I could see that the LAN and Receive lights were blinking like crazy.    

I still have my laptop to do.  My data resets at midnight tonight, and because I still have more than 8GB of Anytime data I'm going to do it now instead of waiting until the Bonus Zone.  I've got to run virus and malware scans and save a System Image before doing so.  I always do so before a major update.  🙂 

Edit:  I still have four older updates to perform before the big one.   I need to connect this laptop more often.  😛  

maratsade

Wow. It's like a full time job, keeping these devices updated.... I had to leave, so I don't know what happened with the download. I'm going to check tomorrow and hope it won't start over...

GabeU

It's entirely possible that, for the very first time with the Gen4 or Gen5 system, I will exhaust my monthly data allotment.  

Right now I have 4.6GB left.  I still have nearly one third of the update to finish downloading for my laptop, and I am going to download the 1089 ISO to burn to a DVD to keep on hand.  I have tokens, so I won't go into FAP, but it will still be interesting.  If I don't end up hitting the limit, it will be the closest I've yet to come to doing so.  

I want to get all of this done before midnight.  

GabeU

How's this for cutting it close?  My data resets in about 42 minutes.  🙂  

Capture1.JPG

It actually should say, "At your current rate of usage you will exceed your allotment for this Service Plan Data cycle."  

Wow! I am shocked by this, we're gonna have to discuss where your data is going! 😛 

GabeU

@Brooke

In reality I could have taken it over the edge.  My notebook, which I rarely ever use and only have it because it was free (eMachines CA suit), needs nearly one GB worth of updates.  I hadn't connected it to the net in nearly four months.  My tokens...I just couldn't do it.  I know they're there for the using, but I just couldn't bring myself to tap into them.  😛  

And now I'm back to full data.  🙂  I'll do the notebook updates later, or tomorrow night.  

I understand. I tend to hold onto things "just in case I really need them", but then I find myself never using them. 😛 The amount of random notebooks I have is silly. 

GabeU

@Brooke wrote:

The amount of random notebooks I have is silly. 

I probably would have gotten something a bit better, but I was antsy, and the site's stock kept changing from minute to minute.  Most of it was refurbished stuff, as was this notebook.  I had a choice of either a check for $62.50 or $360 worth of merchandise from this particular site that was set up for the purpose of the suit.  It seemed like a no brainer to me.  I just wish I would have been a bit more patient and waited for something better to be available, which happened the very next day.   But, I got an Acer Aspire V5-122p-0889 for free, and even had enough left over to pay for next day shipping.  None of it cost me a penny.  It's too "weak" to run Windows 10 very well, but it does okay with Windows 8.1.  It's just doesn't like multitasking.   

The funny thing is, the suit concerned an item that never affected me.  Apparently there was an issue with the floppy drive used on just about every model they sold that had one.  I bought a desktop in 1998 (eMachines 366i) and never had a problem with it, even though it had the floppy drive in question.    

Just a little lesson for those out there that don't bother to register their products.  Had I never done so I never would have been notified about the suit, and I never would have ended up with a free notebook.  A slow notebook, but a free one.  

And the craziest part is that I wouldn't have my Dell Laptop had the final notification from the suit come one week sooner.  I got the original notice in the mail, filled out the required info, and sent it back.  I waited and waited, and eventually concluded that I must not have had a model that was included after all, so I decided to order my Dell Laptop.  I get it five days later, and two days after that the final notice comes for the suit.  It included the PIN so I could get the merchandise.  SMH.  Impatience biting me again.  😛 

@GabeU

If you didn't get the update installed, that's probably a good thing.  Microsoft has pulled it due to problems.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-has-pulled-the-windows-10-october-2018-upd...

maratsade

I saw that today -- my update went through and luckily, there don't seem to be any problems. 

If you didn't get the update installed, that's probably a good thing.  Microsoft has pulled it due to problems.

GabeU

@slym wrote:

@GabeU

I was able to get both my desktop and laptop updated without issue.  I checked my files and documents and such and didn't see anything amiss, so whatever it is that it causing the issue for so many people didn't rear its ugly head for me.  

With that said, though, I always make sure to save a system image before any significant update/upgrade.  This way, if something bad does happen I can quickly and easily restore my computer.  

I'm definitely glad that I didn't waste any of my tokens, though.  🙂  

Still, when it's re-released I'll have to download it and create a DVD again, as the one I created has the faulty version.  Though I usually just upgrade the old fashioned way, I always create an installation DVD of the new version just to have it on hand.  Granted, it seems a bit stupid to upgrade the old fashioned way instead of using the DVD I create, but it's just the way I've always done it.  Plus, I've never tried it with the created DVD, so I don't know if it gives the option to keep all of my files intact like it does through Windows update.  If it does, I might change my method.  

Although the update was a little clumsy (think it did it in parts), I did get my Win10 VM updated fairly uneventfully.

Did notice some little weird things that are no longer there now: the startup tune disappeared from the login screen and the icon bar along the bottom no longer pops up upon startup. MS Store now has an XBox sidebar feature that seems nice to check things (as they continue to merge all this Win/XBox stuff together now).

Edit: Now having read the article, maybe one of the things deleted during the process is the startup sound file. 🤪

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote: 

Edit: Now having read the article, maybe one of the things deleted during the process is the startup sound file. 🤪

My speakers are tucked away to the side and only pulled out and turned on when I need them, so I don't know if any sound is there at startup.  And, to be honest, because of never having it on at startup, I don't know if any sound was there before.  😛 

I suppose I could connect my headphones and restart.  

GabeU

@MarkJFine

I checked and I had no sound, either (the option was ticked).  Because of this, and the known notification issue, plus the missing document/file issue (which didn't affect me), I decided to restore my desktop and laptop using the saved system images.  They're now back to normal.  

When they release the upgrade again I think that, instead of doing it the way I normally do, I'll just download the ISO, write it to disk, and use that.  As mentioned, I still don't know if it will give me the option to keep my files, but if it doesn't I can always abort the upgrade and then do it the old fashioned way.  

Now I'm even more glad that I didn't end up using any Token data.  It truly would have been a waste.  

Microsoft has paused the 1809 update due to issues with files being deleted.

Ryzen 7 2700/16GB RAM/X470 Motherboard/250 GB m.2 SSD/2TB HDD/4GB RX560/Windows 10 Pro