cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heads Up re: Texas (and elsewhere)

MarkJFine
Associate Professor

Heads Up re: Texas (and elsewhere)

As everyone knows, Texas is experiencing power outages state-wide due to their extreme weather (I'll try to keep my other opinions to myself for the other reasons). This presents a few problems:

1. If your gateway is in El Paso (ELP), your modem might be operational, but you'll have no connectivity to the internet because there's essentially nothing for your modem to connect to in order to get to the internet. Nothing really can be done until power is restored to El Paso, and that may be limited if the site is subjected to rolling blackouts.

2. The internet provider of other gateways will have to dynamically re-route around places in Texas where there's no power. Again, if those sites are experiencing rolling power outages it may be hit and miss, and hopefully VERY dynamic.

3. If the site you're trying reach is IN Texas, well... it goes without saying that will be hit and miss as well.

Keep in mind this severe weather is now moving Eastward, so both 2 and 3 above may not be limited to just Texas for the next few days.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
8 REPLIES 8
maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

Re: Heads Up re: Texas (and elsewhere)

"(I'll try to keep my other opinions to myself for the other reasons)."

LOL

Bad weather has arrived in my area, and ice is pouring down. 

MarkJFine
Associate Professor

I understand there's lots of icing in DelMarVa but not a lot of snow. Lots of snow in Central NJ (8A, lol) right now. It's like the tundra up here.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

During one of the storms this year NJ got at least 35 inches of snow. I believe that may be more snow than I've seen in my lifetime. Are you getting snow/ice/sleet? Steady sleet/ice here, falling with quite a bit of enthusiasm. I'm starting to feel like Nanook of the North.  

@MarkJFine wrote:

I understand there's lots of icing in DelMarVa but not a lot of snow. Lots of snow in Central NJ (8A, lol) right now. It's like the tundra up here.

MarkJFine
Associate Professor

There's at least 5-6" of snow on the ground already in NJ. My wife says just a little sleet in Fauquier.

maratsade

About 1.5 to 2 inches of sleet here, expecting at least 4. Very crunchy, heavy, slippery stuff.  I'll be shoveling some of it during the day. Weee!

Liz

Lots of sleet coming down here in MD too. Thought I was hearing heavy rain until I looked out the window. Stay safe everyone!

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Liz

Good morning folks,

Just to add onto this thread: I'm guessing that much like many others outside of Texas, I've learned recently that Texas has its own electrical grid (ERCOT), but there's a small chunk of the state including El Paso, that's not on that grid.

Also, all HughesNet gateways have their own auxiliary power and have not had any weather-related power outages as far as I can tell. So if there's any concern with connectivity, it's most likely due to one's home losing power.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

maratsade

"all HughesNet gateways have their own auxiliary power and have not had any weather-related power outages as far as I can tell. So if there's any concern with connectivity, it's most likely due to one's home losing power."

Thanks for sharing this!, @Liz . Good to know!