cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heads up. The Windows 10 version 1803 update is a VERY sizable update.

Distinguished Professor IV

Heads up. The Windows 10 version 1803 update is a VERY sizable update.

The Windows 10 version 1803 update can very VERY sizable.  For me it was 3GB.  Then, on restart after installation, more updates were downloaded, but because Glasswire hadn't started I don't know how much more data was used.  The update was released on April 30th.

Though this isn't a Tech Support issue I figured it best to post the heads up in this section as it's related to data usage.  If a rep feels it would be better to have this posted in another section, please, by all means, feel free to move it.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Heads up. The Windows 10 version 1803 update is a VERY sizable update.

Thanks for info, Gabe! Good to know.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Professor

thanks, @GabeU!  given how long the process usually takes for me (because, Microsoft), I'm going to have to set aside a full day....

@maratsadewrote:

thanks, @GabeU!  given how long the process usually takes for me (because, Microsoft), I'm going to have to set aside a full day....

I haven't really had that problem with Gen5.  Gen4 was absolutely awful when it came to Microsoft downloads, though.  

Just this morning I updated my laptop, and though the file wasn't quite as large as for the desktop, clocking in at 2.7GB instead of 3.0GB, it downloaded rather quickly, taking about twenty minutes.  Installation, OTOH, is still in process.  The first attempt at installation failed (before restart).  The second attempt (it didn't need to download again) seems to be going well.  It was just restarted, so it's in the middle of the actual installation.   

I downloaded the Windows 10 1803 ISO this morning, too, and at 3.1GB it only took about twenty minutes, as well.  I created an installation DVD with that.  

Edit:  Well, the laptop ended up using 3.1GB total for the update, as it updated a slew of the Microsoft apps after restart, as well.  And, as it turns out, the desktop used the same total amount, though the comparison between the two is a little misleading, as the laptop had many more Microsoft apps to update as it's only connected to the net once every month or so, whereas the desktop is connected every day and keeps its Microsoft apps up to date.  After the Windows 10 1803 update, the desktop updated seven Microsoft apps, whereas the laptop updated twenty one Microsoft apps.  So, 3.0GB and 0.1GB for the update and apps, respectively, for the desktop, and 2.7GB and 0.4GB for the update and apps, respectively, for the laptop.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Professor

My problem is it never takes the first time it downloads -- it takes me several times to get it to stick (edit: which means multiple download attempts).  Then there's the installation process, which is long and laborious.  I never have this kind of issue with Mac updates or Linux updates, which  makes me think the issue is with the way Microsoft does things.

@maratsadewrote:

My problem is it never takes the first time it downloads -- it takes me several times to get it to stick (edit: which means multiple download attempts).  

That's weird.  I wonder if it's a combination of things.  As we all know Microsoft seems to be overly sensitive to higher latencies, at least with some of their servers, but I wonder if other things, in combination with the latency, are causing it to fail.  

Though I think you've mentioned it before, what kind of speeds do you get?  Do you ever have any packet loss issues?  

Tutor

Thanks for the warning Gabe. I looked at the two W10 notebooks and they were up to date as of yesterday and the day before. I ran the check on both and the miserable update burned up 150 mb doing the check and then initializing and then preparing to install before it ever got around to telling me they were ready to download. It didn't appear update was going to have any respect for the metered connections so I disconnected them until morning. Good thing I get up at 4 AM.

@GW

It's good that you caught it.  Maybe the metered connection ddin't stop it due to the type of update it is, but with something of this size it sure should.  SMH.  And two of them?  Eek!  That's a lot of data without expecting it, that's for sure.  

Do the notebooks happen to have the Pro version?  If so, changing the update settings in the Group Policy Editor works very well.  Before the Fall Creators Update I couldn't set my LAN cable connected desktop to metered, but changing the update settings via the Group Policy Editor worked perfectly.  I was able to set it to notify me before downloading anything, like we used to be able to do with W8.1 and prior.  If you have the Home version you don't have that option, though.  Smiley Sad  

Tutor

I think they're both home premium. A derivative of whatever came with the gizmos. An Acer and an Asus.

Windoze really chaps my hide. Two more days until the Hughes reset and I'm almost out of anytime data. I could save a bunch of data by connecting my phone to the Asus and run my business over the LAN but the instant I hook that up to the notebook it's gonna smell the fresh meat on the LTE connection and start downloading that hyooge update in a new york second. Scratch 3 GB off that allowance that just rolled over yesterday. I hate Windoze. It's getting about time to bite the big one and scrap all the M$ garbage and go Linux. Especially since M$ is gonna kill off W7 soon. No way I could ever live with W10 on my main computer.

Professor

I think it's something with the way Microsoft goes about the updates.  It's no big deal, just irritating, because it's the only OS that does this. The Mac updates have been much bigger at times, and they work beautifully.  Microsoft is cranky.   I don't have packet loss issues, and the speeds I get are around 25 to 30 Mbps, sometimes more.  I totally blame Microsoft.  LOL

@GabeUwrote:

That's weird.  I wonder if it's a combination of things.  As we all know Microsoft seems to be overly sensitive to higher latencies, at least with some of their servers, but I wonder if other things, in combination with the latency, are causing it to fail.  

Though I think you've mentioned it before, what kind of speeds do you get?  Do you ever have any packet loss issues?