cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heads up. The Windows 10 version 1803 update is a VERY sizable update.

Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Heads up. The Windows 10 version 1803 update is a VERY sizable update.

@GW

Lots of people are contemplating exactly what you are, or have already done so, and I don't blame them.  Though I don't have it installed at the moment, I've fiddled with Linx Mint, and it's pretty good.  I'd just have to get used to the different way programs and such are installed and the way some settings are changed and/or enabled.  The terminal and all that.  

With that said, I don't really have much of a problem with Windows 10, other than being a guinea pig for updates.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

@maratsade

You've got Gen5, right?  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Professor

Yes, Gen5. Beam 68! 

@GabeUwrote:

You've got Gen5, right?  

@maratsadewrote:

Yes, Gen5. Beam 68! 

@GabeUwrote: 

You've got Gen5, right?   

Ahhhh.  That's right.  I should have remembered the beam 68 thing.  

I think my brain is overheating.  LOL.  Two days ago it was snowing in the morning and now it's 80 degrees in my house.  I've got to put my window AC in, but I haven't even cleaned it yet!  Smiley Tongue  I've got to replace the screen over it, too. 

I have to put window screen over the side and top louvres as the AC sits in a window that is right near another window that has a lamp sitting in front of it.  The light from it draws moths at night, and I learned that the hard way.  The first year I had the AC in that window I started having problems with the compressor cutting out on a high pressure limit towards the end of the season.  I took it apart and found out that the condenser coil was absolutely caked with dead moths.  They were getting so close to the unit, drawn by the light, that they were getting sucked into the louvres, then blown through the fan and onto the coil.  There was a clear spot, right in the center of the coil, that was about three inches in diameter.  This was the only place that air could blow through it.  LOL.  It was clear there due to that being where the center hub is on the fan blade.  I really wish I would have gotten a picture of that!  

Professor

The weather has been crazy and very hot.  We went from winter to summer.  Insane!

The moth thing sounds gross -- is there anything that can be done to prevent the moths from getting sucked in there? 

Tutor

@GabeUwrote:

@maratsadewrote:

Yes, Gen5. Beam 68! 

@GabeUwrote: 

You've got Gen5, right?   

Ahhhh.  That's right.  I should have remembered the beam 68 thing.  

I think my brain is overheating.  LOL.  Two days ago it was snowing in the morning and now it's 80 degrees in my house.  I've got to put my window AC in, but I haven't even cleaned it yet!  Smiley Tongue  I've got to replace the screen over it, too. 

I have to put window screen over the side and top louvres as the AC sits in a window that is right near another window that has a lamp sitting in front of it.  The light from it draws moths at night, and I learned that the hard way.  The first year I had the AC in that window I started having problems with the compressor cutting out on a high pressure limit towards the end of the season.  I took it apart and found out that the condenser coil was absolutely caked with dead moths.  They were getting so close to the unit, drawn by the light, that they were getting sucked into the louvres, then blown through the fan and onto the coil.  There was a clear spot, right in the center of the coil, that was about three inches in diameter.  This was the only place that air could blow through it.  LOL.  It was clear there due to that being where the center hub is on the fan blade.  I really wish I would have gotten a picture of that!  

I feel your pain. A couple years ago fire ants invaded the outdoor compressor unit of our heat pump and shorted out a relay.

Tutor

@GabeUwrote:

@GW

Lots of people are contemplating exactly what you are, or have already done so, and I don't blame them.  Though I don't have it installed at the moment, I've fiddled with Linx Mint, and it's pretty good.  I'd just have to get used to the different way programs and such are installed and the way some settings are changed and/or enabled.  The terminal and all that.  

With that said, I don't really have much of a problem with Windows 10, other than being a guinea pig for updates.  

I've used Linux off and on for over 20 years. I think my problem may be I try to force Linux to run on another physical drive in dual boot rather than put it on C: in an extra partition. I always let windows retain sole possession of C. It never ends well. Eventually I have to stay up all night fighting off the crash from **bleep** to save my stuff.

Another problem has always been too many windows programs I depend on. As it is now I really don't have all that much that requires windows. The hardest thing to give up right now that I can think of would be my Acronis True Image auto backup program and the encryption stuff I use. And then things always get squirrelly with my mail trying to make Thunderbird keep it straight when running part time in Linux and part time in windows. Eh, maybe I'll try it again soon. I need a little adventure in my life Smiley LOL

I don't think I've ever gotten around to using Mint but I do have several iterations of it saved in my archives. Both Cinnamon and Mate. The most recent is 18.3 Cinnamon I downloaded in January.

@maratsadewrote:

The weather has been crazy and very hot.  We went from winter to summer.  Insane!

The moth thing sounds gross -- is there anything that can be done to prevent the moths from getting sucked in there? 

I put the window screen over the louvres and it keeps them out.  We also have Eastern Cottonwood trees around here.  They have this cotton type stuff that floats around and that can get sucked in, too, but the window screen stops that, as well.  

I actually wrap the entire outside portion (sides and top) of the AC with the window screen and use the screws that run along the bottom of each side that hold the cover on to hold the window screen on.  I bought some washers and use them with the screws.  It helps to keep the screen from pulling off of the screws.  There are three screws on each side that hold the cover and screen, and it works perfectly.  I just drive the screws right through the screen.  The air intake louvres are on the sides and top, so it's easiest to do it this way.  To try to put screen just over the louvres would be difficult.  I don't put screen over the back, of course, as that's the exhaust rather than the intake.  

Since doing this the only bug I've had inside the unit was a wasp which must had crawled up through the bottom drain hole.  

@GW

Ugh, fire ants!  That unit needed "debugging."  LOL.  Smiley Tongue

When I was a heating and AC tech we would sometimes see contactors that had burned out due to insects, with ants being the most common.  We'd sometimes see cockroaches in the switches in old relays in air handlers/furnaces and boilers, as well.  Nasty little buggers.  

I had Linux Mint with Mate (ver. 17.1) on an older desktop and it worked very well.  No issues.  I used Mate as the desktop only had 512MB of memory.  I ended up installing Windows XP on it so I could play some old games that don't work with W8.1 and W10.  I had Linux Mint with Cinnamon (ver. 18.1) on a separate HDD in this desktop, though I didn't have it set up as a dual boot.  I would have to physically change the SATA cable from one drive to the other when I wanted to use Mint, but it was still pretty good and it worked well.  

Linux Mint is definitely more user friendly, in my opinion, than Ubuntu.  I've tried Cinnamon, Mate and Xfce, but not KDE.  

Tutor

This update is amazing. It's hard to believe M$ can screw up so much stuff.

I woke up at 2 and launched the updates for both W10 computers. They sucked down a total of 5.7 GB but still didn't complete all the downloading before the end of bonus time at 8. They needed another 250 MB after that.

One computer was finished with the entire procedure in 5½ hours while the other needed a breathtaking 10 hours to get done.

Even better is the New & Improved W10 informs me the Home Group has been removed from this newest iteration which decimated a substantial portion of my network. M$ should be required to pay us for putting up with this garbage.