Help Please – Download Speed < 8 Mbps on Gen5 for WEEKS

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newtonf
Junior

Help Please – Download Speed < 8 Mbps on Gen5 for WEEKS

Well I’m back again – for a few days my download speeds had recovered to normal (15-30 Mbps), but now I am back to less than 8 Mbps. My "work day" download speeds are now generally less than 8 Mbps and often around 1 Mbps! Early mornings and very late evenings speeds can be as high as 30, but I don’t work at night or before 8AM. Simple, low resolution, 5 minute, YouTube videos take 10-15 minutes to watch. This has been going on since January 3d. Here is what I have done to chase this problem down:

1. Rebooted modem and checked speed = no change
  2. Powered off modem for 10 minutes = no change
  3. Repeated above wired directly to my modem (HT2000W) = no change
  4. I have run 90 download speed tests using testmy.net since January 3d and my average speed is 8.18 Mbps!
    1. You can see my test results at https://testmy.net/quickstats/stanleytpig
  5. I contacted Hughesnet support via chat on January 3d (Lulu Carette, case number 108575566), checked everything I was told to check, did everything I was told to do, the chat took over an hour after which time I was told that I would be raised to engineering level support and that I would receive a call within 72 hours. I remaind at home avaliable 24 hours a day for SEVEN DAYS and did not recieve a call duing that time.
    1. Over two weeks later I received a call back, but I was not home and the caller left a call back number. I called back the next day only to fine that the “call in code” had expired and I could not speak to anyone.
  6. I have also tried the speed tests on the Hughesnet website which yielded very weird results, like taking 3-4 minutes to download the 12 meg file and speed results given are > 200 Mbps! Not possible! Web speed tests range from around 1 to 4 seconds – mostly greater than 2 seconds

My system is: Gen5 (EcoStar-19-NAD); Gateway ID 15; Beam ID 71; Satellite Receive Signal Strength 99, modem HT2000W, two Windows 10 PCs (wireless and/or ethernet); 30/50 Meg plan that costs $87/per month.

I have been with Hughes since 2001 – that’s 17 years and I have literally done everything that I can think of to make system work as advertised (e.g., highspeed internet and at least 60% of the advertised 25 Mbps, or 15 Mbps and 8 Mbps is not even close).

It would be really nice if someone could fix this problem – perhaps one of those talented techs like Liz or Amanda could be cajoled into looking into my problem – I would greatly appreciate it.

Regards to all - Skip

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello everyone,

Since January 26th I have run 15 download speed tests using testmy.net (average = 30.4 Mbps) and 14 using Speedtest by Ookla (average = 15.1 Mbps) and it appears that my download speeds have returned to normal. This is way, way, way up from the 91 testmy.net tests I ran between January 3d and 25, which averaged 8.2 Mbps.

I do find it interesting that testmy.net tests were twice as fast as Speedtest (based on the average) - note tests were performed in pairs, using the same computer and run within 2 minutes of each other. This result appears to be the inverse of what others have reported when comparing testmy.net and Speedtest. Possibliy the servers chosen are responsible for the difference, as testmy.net seems to be using a site in Dallas and Speedtest is using a site in Los Angeles (approx 100 miles north of me).

Anyway all that being said, I am happy that I things are back to normal, at least for this Hughesnet user. I don't know how the correction was implemented, but I appericate the help from those on this forum and any of then unknown "engineers" that have worked on this issue. I will mark this discussion string Corrected and begin a new string, if the problem returns.

To those still chasing speed issues, I wish you luck and suggest you continue working within this forum to resolve your specific issues.

ciao for now - Skip

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12