cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Please!

New Poster

Help Please!

Hello all, I am a new Gen5 customer. Since installation a few weeks ago, access to internt is basically nonexistent. Pics won't load on websites, streaming music WILL NOT work and watching videos is not even an option. When I first called Hughesnet, I told the sales person that music and streaming video were essential functions for me and I was assured that those things would be stellar, in fact better than the competition. So, the fact that I can do basically nothing on the Web in exchange for a fairly substantial monthly payment, I am so discouraged.

Is it possible that there is something wrong with the equipment? What should I do? Thank you so, so much for any guidance.
5 REPLIES 5
Professor

Re: Help Please!

You will likely need to run some speed tests and other tests, but in the meantime, I'm tagging a couple of the Hughesnet reps, as they are the only ones who can test your equipment remotely to see if anything weird pops up on their side. 

@Liz

@Amanda

New Poster

Thank you so much! According to the wifi-test function on the Hughesnet app, my WiFi signal is "Excellent", but at the same time, there is virtually no function on my devices. Hopefully there is a solution!

Hi Dmcates,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting. I ran diagnostics on your system and found the equipment to be working normally. As maratsade said, we'll need speed tests run to further evaluate performance.

So we can begin addressing your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account and run 3-5 tests during different parts of the day. Post your test results link here in your thread.

Please keep in mind that Hughesnet will only accept testmy.net and the official Hughesnet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points to remember during this test:

-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)

-use the 25MB size download test file

-space each test at least 5 minutes apart

-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://hninfo.us/speedtest

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Distinguished Professor III

@Dmcates

With regard to the speed testing instructions provided by Liz, please also make sure to disable the WiFi when you are running the speed tests.  This will ensure that no WiFi devices are sapping any bandwidth while the tests are being run.  Sometimes WiFi devices may still access and use bandwidth even when we're sure they're off.  

If you do not know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem, please see "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?" (specifically #5.c.) in the following PDF...

http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Documents/1041318-0001_a.pdf

Please make sure to individually click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" on each of the four tabs (2.4, 2.4 Guest, 5 and 5 Guest).  

On a side note (though this is on the bottom, not the side  Smiley Tongue ), it might be a good idea to download and save the PDF, as it has some helpful info about the HT2000W modem that may come in handy.  Smiley Happy  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->