cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help configuring my router to improve my upload speed? My last satellite ISP was faster.

Sophomore

Re: Help configuring my router to improve my upload speed? My last satellite ISP was faster.

Lets see if we cant tag some help itll take about 24-48 hrs for response ive got a thread up about latency these were the support reps tagged
Tags (2)
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Help configuring my router to improve my upload speed? My last satellite ISP was faster.

@ryry117

Speedtest seems to be off on their upload results quite often.  I don't know why this is, but it's rarely given me an upload speed of 1Mbps or above, while I know that my upload speeds actually sit in the 2Mbps to 3Mbps range most of the time.  

And though the reps have requested that people avoid testmy.net as of late due to it not running correctly, the problems are actually with the download test, and the upload test at testmy works fine and gives more accurate results, at least for me.   

I would try a couple of upload speed tests at testmy.net to get a better idea of what your upload speeds really are.  Just the upload tests.  Even though, as of right now, testmy seems to be working correctly with the download tests, I would still avoid running any of them there until the reps say that it's okay to do so again. 

When you run an upload test at testmy.net make sure to choose the manual 4MB test size.   https://testmy.net/upload

Edit:  A comparison from a minute ago (I included the clock in the pics)...   

Capture1.JPG

Capture.JPG

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
Sophomore

Thanks @GabeU, hopefully this testmy result is accurate because now I am even more confused.

https://testmy.net/db/QEtID7Mh4

So testmy puts my upload speed at 2.5mbps. If that is true I can't imagine the upload speed is where this issue I'm having is occuring. 

I did my download speed as well and it appears to be accurate. It got the same result speedtest did and the mb/s is the right speed for what I see on Steam when downloading.

https://testmy.net/db/Xst037NWI

I almost want to draw attention back to what @Daytona2013 said about Hughesnet using private IPs, because with speeds like that and a steady ping(according to speedtest) of 600~ms/s, that is all faster than my old internet provider, and yet the real-world experience I'm having is worse. So I'm wondering if these issues have to do with how Hughesnet manages something on their end?

My friends are constantly complaining that my voice is dropping or turning robot-like in chat, and chat(discord) still says my ping is getting thrown around 1000-2000ms/s occasionally. Problems I never had before. I can't stay connected to games I played fine on the old satellite internet provider(maybe it would help to name them, but I don't want to be seem as advertising them). I even occasionally played MOBAs on it and just dealt with the lag but now I can't even stay connected to a game.

Highlighted

@ryry117

In most cases problems like this are related to the high latency, and some servers are more sensitive to it than others, regardless of how good your speed is.  

I'm not at all familiar with gaming systems, nor networking.  Hopefully someone who has more experience with this sort of thing will have some additional things to adjust and/or try. 

Regarding the upload speed, though, I'd trust the result testmy is giving you more than speedtest.  With that said, one addtional thing to keep in mind is that, if your download speed is pretty good, speedtest can use a LOT of data for each test (upwards of 75MB or more).  I only mention this so that you don't burn through a lot of data with a lot of speed testing at speedtest.  

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor I

@GabeU, For manual speed tests on TMN, for Gen 5, I usually use 25 MB for a download test and 12 MB for an upload test.  Are these the correct sizes?

Highlighted

@maratsade wrote:

@GabeU, For manual speed tests on TMN, for Gen 5, I usually use 25 MB for a download test and 12 MB for an upload test.  Are these the correct sizes?

The 25MB for the download tests is right, but you should use the 4MB size for upload tests.  Using the 12MB size for uploads will still give you an accurate result, but it's a waste of data.    

Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Hmm. I use 3MB for up. Thought the presets were 3 then 6. I could be wrong.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Highlighted

@MarkJFine wrote:

Hmm. I use 3MB for up. Thought the presets were 3 then 6. I could be wrong.

Three is probably fine, actually.  Pretty much as long as it lasts long enough.  I just go by 4MB as that's the official size requested by them for troubleshooting purposes.  I think Gen4 was 2MB, though I can't remember for sure.