Hughesnet Community

Help configuring my router to improve my upload speed? My last satellite ISP was faster.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ryry117
Sophomore

Help configuring my router to improve my upload speed? My last satellite ISP was faster.

Tonight was the first night I was really able to sit down and use my internet for a long period of time. And after my first test run I could use some help tweaking some things.It went, ok, on the download end, 6-7mbps all night. Things worsened with my ping and upload speed, however.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7004270502

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7004273681

I tested my speed over a dozen times from trying different tweaks but nothing worked, over half my tests were using an Ethernet cable and had the wireless connections disabled but it changed nothing.

I play games over the internet(please, no lectures on satellite internet and gaming, I don't play latency-focused games, I play turn-based and board games and etc.) and use the program Discord to talk to my friends. My last isp handled this almost perfectly, but a slight speed boost would make my situation golden, so now I'm with Hughesnet. Discord keeps track of your ping and I noticed something odd about mine tonight.

It would hover around the expected 600-700 ms ping zone, but every few seconds it would tick up to 1000ms or 2000ms and then go back down. And it did this all night in a clear pattern. Games I normally have no issues with were TERRIBLE. I couldn't even stay connected to my friends. I have to assume this is an upload speed error, all Hughesnet plans advertise 3mbps upload speeds, and while I know this can vary per customer location, on my last isp I had no problem having an upload speed of 1.5-2mb constant.

So I'm just wondering if this is a common problem for new customers and the community has some solutions, or if some Hughesnet reps have some suggestions.

I'm also wondering if some tweaks to my router settings might fix this. I altered some settings but nothing got a noticeable change out of my speeds.

I switched to Hughesnet for the cheaper price and promise of faster speeds, so hopefully this gets resolved...

Thank you.

17 REPLIES 17
ryry117
Sophomore

It should be noted those speedtest results with .99 and 1mb upload speed were my best ones. Normally my upload speed was around .77-.89mb.

Daytona2013
Sophomore

Ive tried few things with mine that helped ,keep in mind hughes runs a private ip:addresses which causes moderaate or strict NAT type our latency issues tech with isp needs to clear up tho ive had no luck with them . These are the steps i have taken in the router set your pc or main used system xbox,exc... as Dmz host ,or DHCP , DISABLE qos , change one of the dns numbers for what your trying to do pc works best with 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 google dns but make sure to leave one by your isp just in case there are a few things outside of this i have done my upload runs from 4.0-6.0 range but for gaming latency is the issue about 4 month at least this has been a big issue that needs fix by hughes . If i am wrong on this being a fix someone correct me i have at least 25hrs solid in port mapping and exc... to bring speeds up

@Daytona2013 wrote:
Ive tried few things with mine that helped ,keep in mind hughes runs a private ip:addresses which causes moderaate or strict NAT type our latency issues tech with isp needs to clear up tho ive had no luck with them . These are the steps i have taken in the router set your pc or main used system xbox,exc... as Dmz host ,or DHCP , DISABLE qos , change one of the dns numbers for what your trying to do pc works best with 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 google dns but make sure to leave one by your isp just in case there are a few things outside of this i have done my upload runs from 4.0-6.0 range but for gaming latency is the issue about 4 month at least this has been a big issue that needs fix by hughes . If i am wrong on this being a fix someone correct me i have at least 25hrs solid in port mapping and exc... to bring speeds up

Thank you Daytona2013, I tried your suggestions and I think they definitely helped, I'm seeing quicker response times in my SpeedTests, it starts the tests quicker and I reach my peak speeds faster but the upload speed remains stuck bouncing between .80-.90mbps. I have to assume the upload speed isn't a hard cap by Hughesnet since I can get it to fluctuate between .70 and 1.01 if I'm lucky.

keep in mind hughes runs a private ip:addresses which causes moderaate or strict NAT type our latency issues tech with isp needs to clear up tho ive had no luck with them . 

Thank you especially for this info. It is a huge missing piece to this puzzle. WHY on Earth would they be using private ip addresses? That sounds like so much more work for them for no reason and a way for a billion more things to go wrong. Ugh. Hopefully a Hughesnet rep gets here soon and can offer more solutions. 

There is no escuse to have your nat type restricted by your ISP.

Ive looked this matter up to since i was an excede customer and tho there data plans unless you get lucky and get umlimited was killer in cost they had public ip which was more game friendly with fps .or any game with instant response oddly but there speeds are less latency around 800 with them but hughes painted a beautiful picture that became blurred during exposure . Also learned it does help with changing ip in dhcp to example 192.168.2-192.168.254 open range from current 192.168.1.0 this is newest thing i tried didnt help latency much it is more stable tho seems thats the trick is how much it bounces causes chat issues and visuals

@Daytona2013 wrote:
Ive looked this matter up to since i was an excede customer and tho there data plans unless you get lucky and get umlimited was killer in cost they had public ip which was more game friendly with fps .or any game with instant response oddly but there speeds are less latency around 800 with them but hughes painted a beautiful picture that became blurred during exposure . Also learned it does help with changing ip in dhcp to example 192.168.2-192.168.254 open range from current 192.168.1.0 this is newest thing i tried didnt help latency much it is more stable tho seems thats the trick is how much it bounces causes chat issues and visuals

Thanks again, when you say to change the DHCP, do you mean under router settings->advanced->LAN

Or somewhere else in server settings?

Yes

Also cant remember exactly where but you can force the selected device ip address make it the same as your current ip just with .2 also look in your ps4-or xbox network setting they newly added alternate ports write these dow go into router =Nat>>port mapping add these ports to your selected ip for that device say 3704 to 3704 or 80to 80 fill slots with same value you can google required ports to help certain games also same with dns codes believe good one for gaming start with 100. Something instead of googles 8.8.8.8

Definitely helpful advise man, thanks.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7006963811

This has been my fastest result yet. Unfortunately my friends are already off for the night so I can't real-world test it. Tonight with the old advise you gave was way better than my first attempt, so I think I've almost got it configured perfectly. 

I'm not gonna mark this thread as solved until some Hughesnet reps offer their take though.

You're a huge help!

Lets see if we cant tag some help itll take about 24-48 hrs for response ive got a thread up about latency these were the support reps tagged
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@ryry117

Speedtest seems to be off on their upload results quite often.  I don't know why this is, but it's rarely given me an upload speed of 1Mbps or above, while I know that my upload speeds actually sit in the 2Mbps to 3Mbps range most of the time.  

And though the reps have requested that people avoid testmy.net as of late due to it not running correctly, the problems are actually with the download test, and the upload test at testmy works fine and gives more accurate results, at least for me.   

I would try a couple of upload speed tests at testmy.net to get a better idea of what your upload speeds really are.  Just the upload tests.  Even though, as of right now, testmy seems to be working correctly with the download tests, I would still avoid running any of them there until the reps say that it's okay to do so again. 

When you run an upload test at testmy.net make sure to choose the manual 4MB test size.   https://testmy.net/upload

Edit:  A comparison from a minute ago (I included the clock in the pics)...   

Capture1.JPG

Capture.JPG

Thanks @GabeU, hopefully this testmy result is accurate because now I am even more confused.

https://testmy.net/db/QEtID7Mh4

So testmy puts my upload speed at 2.5mbps. If that is true I can't imagine the upload speed is where this issue I'm having is occuring. 

I did my download speed as well and it appears to be accurate. It got the same result speedtest did and the mb/s is the right speed for what I see on Steam when downloading.

https://testmy.net/db/Xst037NWI

I almost want to draw attention back to what @Daytona2013 said about Hughesnet using private IPs, because with speeds like that and a steady ping(according to speedtest) of 600~ms/s, that is all faster than my old internet provider, and yet the real-world experience I'm having is worse. So I'm wondering if these issues have to do with how Hughesnet manages something on their end?

My friends are constantly complaining that my voice is dropping or turning robot-like in chat, and chat(discord) still says my ping is getting thrown around 1000-2000ms/s occasionally. Problems I never had before. I can't stay connected to games I played fine on the old satellite internet provider(maybe it would help to name them, but I don't want to be seem as advertising them). I even occasionally played MOBAs on it and just dealt with the lag but now I can't even stay connected to a game.

GabeU

@ryry117

In most cases problems like this are related to the high latency, and some servers are more sensitive to it than others, regardless of how good your speed is.  

I'm not at all familiar with gaming systems, nor networking.  Hopefully someone who has more experience with this sort of thing will have some additional things to adjust and/or try. 

Regarding the upload speed, though, I'd trust the result testmy is giving you more than speedtest.  With that said, one addtional thing to keep in mind is that, if your download speed is pretty good, speedtest can use a LOT of data for each test (upwards of 75MB or more).  I only mention this so that you don't burn through a lot of data with a lot of speed testing at speedtest.  

maratsade

@GabeU, For manual speed tests on TMN, for Gen 5, I usually use 25 MB for a download test and 12 MB for an upload test.  Are these the correct sizes?

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

@GabeU, For manual speed tests on TMN, for Gen 5, I usually use 25 MB for a download test and 12 MB for an upload test.  Are these the correct sizes?

The 25MB for the download tests is right, but you should use the 4MB size for upload tests.  Using the 12MB size for uploads will still give you an accurate result, but it's a waste of data.    

Hmm. I use 3MB for up. Thought the presets were 3 then 6. I could be wrong.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

Hmm. I use 3MB for up. Thought the presets were 3 then 6. I could be wrong.

Three is probably fine, actually.  Pretty much as long as it lasts long enough.  I just go by 4MB as that's the official size requested by them for troubleshooting purposes.  I think Gen4 was 2MB, though I can't remember for sure.    

I think hughes offees private ip or just the possibility to do static ip if you get there business plan tho sounds expensive havent looked into it but feel should be the same for all