cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Task Manager too many applications Running Browser M.1100

Re: Help with Task Manager too many applications Running Browser M.1100

OK Back up and Running again, went over some notes both from you guys and an old Microsoft support email from a couple years ago, I think it was on a XP OS though but seemed like it did just fine on Win 7 This morning, these early mornings are taken their toll on my sleep habits though, I'll get a full tank of data again tomorrow, ("Use these tips with caution, I'm not a Tech just a PC User!")

These are the steps I did to clean my tower, it was sometimes running very slow, this helped mine,

BE SURE AND CHECK WITH A TECH BEFORE YOU DO ANY OF THESE STEPS TO MAKE SURE THEY WILL NOT HARM YOUR SYSTEM

1  Go to search or command prompt, and type in msconfig  then go to the startup tab and disable all but your virus protection, then restart.  It should be some what faster on startup with the background programs "parked" and waiting to be used instead of idling

2 open Internet tools delete browsing history

3 Open computer, click Disk C, click properties, choose disc cleanup to free space on your disc, Then click tools click error check,  PC will have to reboot later to run

4 From Disc C Properties you can also choose defrag

5 Go to search or Run,  type %temp% when all these left over Temp files are found hold ctri and the a key on your keypad to select all, then delete files.
Next type Prefetch  and delete files, then type temp choose all files and then delete, there may be one or two files that can’t be deleted, I also go to recycle bin and empty it after each step, 

6 I then always scan w/virus program

Ron , just one tip  before you dump the trash ,make sure you haven't deleted  an important program that you do need , some things just put on hold until after start-up  session, and computer
are total on unless you have a recent backup disk available as not lose drivers ,etc, and something you really need be everything you posted was right-on just  throwing that part in . as to not permanently , you really need !!!  Ron , just a comment  !!!

Chris for some reason I do not see an edit option on my Postings? seems like I was able to do so at Home?

Ron, when a person responds to your post you no longer have that option
Honorary Alumnus

Just a quick note here:
If your computer'still "C" drive is a SDD drive, that is to say a Solid State Drive, do not drag it, instead run the drive manufactures "trim" utility at the recommended frequency.
also, unlike the older OS'so like Win98 or XP, Win7 will Defrag on the fly seldom needing a manual defrag.

Thanks Gwalk900, i just learned something new !!!
Honorary Alumnus

Speaking of learing, I picked up a new tablet and the auto correct on that beast is just killing the spelling in my posts !

Yep my phone does the same thing!!

Gwalk900 when you make the correction make sure you add it into the dictionary part that way you can choose the correct one , laughing  and know it's not funny but when you figure it out on fixing it let us all know how you managed this one short of going to the dic. and typing all in from A to Z !             i'm picking there, Gwalk900 !!!& Ron  !!!!

Guys It Can't Understand Cajun! You ought to here the stuff it repeats when I Use Voice Reg. Sounds Like I'm from Mars!