cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Task Manager too many applications Running Browser M.1100

Re: Help with Task Manager too many applications Running Browser M.1100

reminds me of the former conversation this morning  in one of Purgatory's post  this morning and i'm turning loose of this one  !!  LOL !!  Martians !!!!

Ok so I looked up AdobeARM.exe The articles all point to this as being a Malware threat, or at least appearing to be one. Do you think Adblock and That Command is what is slowing my tower down?

They do not show up on startup but shortly after I'm on line for a short time. I'll try the stop process option on it if You or most of you feel this will not hurt the Machine? see screen shot, Thanks again, Ron

Honorary Alumnus

For more info on that .exe read this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/AdobeARM.exe-25493.html

You have to be somewhat cautious when "killing" programs and processes.

First MSCONFIG is not nor was ever intended to be a "startup limiting" utility. It will do that but its function is that of a diagnostic tool to be used to "turn things off selectively" while finding the root cause of a problem

One can get into trouble it you disable a process or function that is truly needed.

A firewall, a process called BITS that is the "real updater" for Windows, the automatic system defrag function.

Here is the thing .. many of the "maintenance functions" that needed to be periodically manually started and run to maintain good computer "health" are now automatic background functions that come and go, within seconds or minutes.

This can be done because computer processors have become more powerful, memory (RAM) is cheaper, hard drive performance is much greater just to name a few.

Now programs and processes can get corrupted or infected. It can be that a user has the automotive equivalent of a four cylinder motor but have eight cylinder needs.

It is possible thru ... this and that ... to have so many Windows Registry errors accumulated that the only way to get the machine to run properly is to reformat the computer to its "factory image" and reinstall the truly required software and add-ons and the have the proper security software to install on hand before that computer is ever exposed to the internet thereby taking advantage of all that the user has learned.

Its not an easy subject to learn, it can't be done all at once .. its cumulative.

Now you also have to make the distinction between a slow computer and a slow internet connection.

How well I know I'm a Good User on the correct system and Can do Minor trouble shooting, That is why I appreciate all the input and wisdom I get from You Guys!!

Hi Ron

Glad Gwalk and the others have given you insight and ideas. Also glad that you're learning your way around optimizing your devices. As Gwalk said, it is a tricky and delicate area in the task manager when "killing" processes and such, but there are also many tools out there that lend a user-friendly interface to doing these things for you.

As an internet service provider, we don't really offer alot on the side of device support, but I hope that the community members can keep teaching you new things (we're learning too!)

Thanks,
Amanda

These guys have walked me through most of my speed problems, Just wish I could survive on 5G a month, I didn't budget for more data so Now I have to scuffle the deck and see what I come up with, I wish the sales representation would have had more Info than sales Pitch, Didn't quite expect to be this Limited in what I could do. Thanks for checking in, Ron