Here we go again, I thought my data usage problems were over a year ago, but now I ran out of data last month, and it looks like I'm on schedule to run out this month also. I'm not doing anything different. I go to the same web sites everyday and actually do most of my browsing during the bonus period.
I have seen one web site "go rogue" and start using large amounts of data just to load their home page. That's the first thing I'm going to check.
I hope I don't have to crank up my spread sheet procedure where I compare the traffic on my ethernet port with what Hughes reports on the modem. I hate to do this because it's a real pain. The last time, I found that Hughes seemed to be over charging between .3 and .5 gigs a cycle for data. This would have to more than triple to account for the losses I'm seeing.
BTW my wifi is disabled.
I'm also wondering if my Java script blocker is malfunctioning. I've been playing around with "Page Load Time" and often see script run time on sites where Java script is supposed to be disabled. Is this normal?
BTW I'm running Linux mint 17.3, Firefox 67.0, with Adblock Plus, NoScript, Popup Blocker Ultimate, and Load Time add ons.
I don't know if any of these will help, nor how comparable they are, but these are supposed to be alternatives to Glasswire.
I've used Networx with Windows, and though it's not quite as good as Glasswire, it was pretty decent. The only thing is, you have to find a version that is still free, though I don't know if a Linux one exists, as it's only been around for Linux for three years. There is a 30 day trial with the present version, though. That might be enough to help narrow down what's going on. I can't speak for the other things listed, but they might be decent programs, as well.
And by extension, if you have any of the required XQuartz and any requisite libraries installed via Homebrew, will likely run on Macos as well.
Looks like I'm going to make it this cycle. The only thing I found wrong was that Noscript seemed to quit working after the last time I updated Firefox. Now instead of hitting one button to block all Java scripts on a site, it seems you now have to go to each sub site and set it to Untrusted. I've seen this happen with programs several times before, you have a program that works perfectly, and the programmers keep adding so called improvements until it no longer works properly.