cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hey Linux Gurus I have a problem "HELP"

Highlighted

Hey Linux Gurus I have a problem "HELP"

Hey Guys and Gals I am posting this via my Windows Partition because my Linux Mint 17.3 64bit has gotten real goofy.  First some Hardware information: Acer R3700 with 1.8 Hyperthreaded Atom Dual Core, 2GB DDR-3 2.5GB Swap Partition, NVIDIA ION HDMI graphics.

The problem freeze ups even while just surfing the web.  It locks up and takes about a minute or two to restore itself.  Video Glitches and Buffers even at very low resolution.  It acts like a bad RAM Chip like all resources get used up when it fails I can't get to System Monitor to check it out.  I have very little running in the background.  I figured I had a bad RAM Chip but when I boot into Windows 10 it works without a problem I even watched Full Metal Jacket in 720HD with no problems at all (I did burn up a Gig and a Half of Data but it was worth it.) So does anyone have any ideal what or where I can check into this.  Is there something in Terminal or a way I can monitor resources and go back to check what happened when it messes up?

Any help will be appreciated.  
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted

Re: Hey Linux Gurus I have a problem "HELP"

Was there a recent upgrade? Could be related to this bug - check out the comments there, people have found some different reasons as to why this is happening. They vary, but one of them might be your issue.

Amanda
Highlighted
Sophomore

My son has a laptop with similar hardware. He had to give up on Mint and went to Fedora, found it more stable on low performance hardware. Mint is getting bloated.
Highlighted

Well, with desktop graphical interface and video glitches and freezes, one of the first things I usually consider is whether I'm using the right video driver or whether the video card is going bad. Some video cards (such as Nvidia) often work better when installing and using the proprietary (but freely available to Linux users) Nvidia driver. In Linux, this can usually be installed using the "Hardware Drivers" or "Additional Drivers" or "Driver Manager" section of the system preferences.

Linux will often install the open-source "nouveau" video driver for Nvidia cards, but Nvidia's own driver for that model will often work better.
Highlighted

I have noticed that 17.3 does use up tons of resources I am thinking of going back to 17.0 and see what happens.  The only thing 17.3 handles the NVIDIA better but if it is going to continue to mess up it is useless.
Highlighted

Gary I have more questions..
Is your HDD partitioned into 2 portions or do you use a virtual machine to run it? do you dual boot? and how much RAM and VM is allotted to the linux portion? And have you run any HW diagnostics?

Amanda
Highlighted

I just went int the manager and there was a proprietary NVIDIA driver available then I did the Homer Simpson head slap DUH I knew that.  I'll wait an see what happens will rum system monitor in the background for a while just to see what happens.  I did have the proprietary drivers loaded before I did the 17.3 reinstall but forgot to do that.  My bad I guess.  I will be so happy to get out of Windows again.
Highlighted

Fingers crossed!
Highlighted

I opened a page in Firefox and it goofed again but in Chromium no problem at all.  It appears that Firefox is causing the problem again.  I am tired of it everytime it updates it causes problems.  Synaptic Package Manager remove option took care of that problem though.
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Good one Jezra, I forgot about that setting.