Did you mean: 
gowest
Freshman

Hidden Network from HughesNet Modem just showed up

Re: Hidden Network
@gowest wrote:
@lake_woman wrote:
@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

Yes the signal is coming from your HT2000w...  You wont be able to connect to that signal, and the signal is disabled if you disable the Wifi on the modem.  

It's kind of like the USB port on the back of the HT1100... It's there for "future use", but, we have no idea when or if that future will ever come. Smiley Happy

Thank you CORROSIVE! I have my SSIDs broadcasting, so I knew it wasn't anything to do with that. The signal is so strong that I knew it wasn't a neighbor.

I read something about some providers creating a hidden network to speed up the wifi, or something like that.

Thanks again for solving my mystery hidden network!

I have the same 'hidden network' that just began showing up everytime I turn on my hughesnet modem/router.  I'm not fine with this explanation.  I have been on the phone with tech support for hours and they just keep saying they can't help me because they can't see the hidden network on their end. 

I want it gone!  It wasn't there 3 days ago and I want it gone now.  I'm sensitive to wifi signals so I have turned all but 1 of the 2.4g wifi connections off in my modem's administrative area.  I am not able to access or turn off the hidden network.  I don't want it broadcasting through my home for 'future use'.  That is not okay with me and I will report Hughesnet to the Federal Communications Commissioin if it doesn't get turned off very soon!

I finally got someone at Hughesnet to admit that this hidden network was put on my modem by them in a recent update and that it can not be removed...  I didn't agree to have this hidden network that I am not in contol of to transmit through my house when I signed up for service! 

The supervisor I finally got to talk to said it has been added to everyone's but that they are planning to take it off but couldn't tell me how long it would take.  I told him I was reserving the right to cancel my account without early cancellation penalty because it was not there when I signed over 7 months ago and I didn't agree to have a hidden network added 3 days ago so if it is not removed very soon and that I would be calling back in a week if it is still there.

13 REPLIES 13