cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hidden Network

Distinguished Professor III

Re: Hidden Network

@wildcats198308

Well, the Hughesnet Engineers must have been monitoring the Community!  Smiley Tongue   I was just updated to the 3.4.3.35 software.  And I just put my laptop away, so I'll check for the hidden network tomorrow.  Too tired now.  LOL.  

wildcats198308 wrote: 

With my Fallback being 3.4.3.28  I guess thats the last version that was installed.  So I guess my modem skipped   3.4.3.33.   

You almost assuredly had the 3.4.3.33 software before your update to 3.4.3.35.  Now that my software has updated, I still have 3.4.3.28 as my fallback software, just as I did before the update.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Assistant Professor

Interesting.

My original rationale was that you could check SSID Enable for either the Primary or Guest Networks independently, but would still need the radio operational in case you left one or the other enabled. I'm pretty sure they use the same physical radio, just different SSIDs.

So using a single checkbox as  gang switch to turn off the radio would be logical under that level menu item - otherwise it's just duplicating the settings already found in two other places.

But... that's just one man's interpretation. The mystery of the hidden network continues until someone with authoritative knowledge (i.e., Amanda) returns with an answer...

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Associate Professor

Just an FYI...

The Fallback version, will be what ever version is considered "Stable" during the modems manufacturing and first programming.  That way the modem always has the latest possible code during shipment, and doesn't have to make a massive jump update wise when it gets to a customer.  Would be unwise to jump from version 1.0 to lets say, version 3.4 suddenly.  Sometimes that breaks things. Smiley Happy

Hello

So I am still getting the same information as before - this SSID is attributed to the latest .35 software update (which everyone with a HT2000W should have now). It has been included to provide support for a future service from HughesNet. This will not affect your normal service or usage. If it is causing any connectivity problems somehow, please let me know.

Thanks

Amanda

Professor

@GabeU,

"Well, the Hughesnet Engineers must have been monitoring the Community!"

No, Gabe. They just monitor YOU.

Professor

@Amanda wrote:

Hello

So I am still getting the same information as before - this SSID is attributed to the latest .35 software update (which everyone with a HT2000W should have now). It has been included to provide support for a future service from HughesNet. This will not affect your normal service or usage. If it is causing any connectivity problems somehow, please let me know.

Thanks

Amanda

"It has been included to provide support for a future service from HughesNet."

I bet it's the popcorn maker. 

Assistant Professor

I was hoping it automatically delivered Starbucks on demand.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Senior

I don't know, it still seems odd to me. Having something on my account that I cannot access. Who then, can access the Hidden Network? An explanation of what such future plans entail is needed.

What can this Hidden network access? It is on my account. Can it monitor the other wifi connections? Can it do what ever Hughesnet wants without the ability for me to know what it is doing?

I don't want to be a nuisance or be picky, however, a much better explaination is owed to us, the customers, and, an option to opt out if we so desire.

Without an adequate explanation of the purpose, it seems a bit shady to me.

Hughesnet, explain your intensions with the Hidden Network. We deserve to know.

Assistant Professor

1. Right now, no one can access it. It's apparently not operational. Even if someone could access it, only Hughes knows the hidden SSID.

2. Again, it can't access other wifi connections. And even if Hughes were to do so, they'd have to be within radio range of it. Considering that they are routing your data within the satellite network and could access the modem remotely, driving to your house to do something nefarious with your modem would be unfeasible, if not practicable.

3. They've provided the explanation that it's for future use. They don't have to be more specific if they're not charging you extra for something that wasn't there before. Right now, it's just an undocumented innocuous feature that's most likely just being tested before they roll something out later.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I still don't understand what the furor over this is. It's completely inert and harmless. Unless it's impacting the service you're paying for (which it isn't) there is absolutely zero need for concern, nor to imagine it impacts your security.

When they are ready to tell us what it is they will tell us, but there's no point in describing a potential feature if they've not even decided it's feasible to implement it. Then they'd be accused of bait n' switch: "So where is this such-n-such you promised us....", "you said we'd have this-n-that...", "you didn't produce...."

See my point?

Distinguished Professor III

@MarkJFine wrote:

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I still don't understand what the furor over this is.

People get kind of edgy when something pops and they not only don't know what it's for, but can't control it, either.  And, many people tend to immediately jump to the worst possible scenario, or what is worst to them, at least.  Perhaps thinking it's there so "someone" can spy on them or their habits, or even glean personal information.  Perhaps thinking it's there so their data can be secretly drained (you know that one's coming).  Some people just get jumpy when it comes to things like this.  That's nothing against those people, of course, just the reality of something like this.  People take new things different ways.     

With that said, it doesn't bother me.

I also checked my laptop today.  Sure enough, it's there now that I have the new modem software.  Whether every radio box is checked or unchecked, including the two under the main Advanced Wireless page, it's there.   

Who knows, maybe it will enable them to offer some type of remote access tech service in the future, sort of like Microsoft is able to do if your system is having a hiccup and you enable them to do so.  It could even be some future special radio access that only on site techs can utilize when troubleshooting the system. For those settings that customers shouldn't be tooling around in, or even looking at.  Normally, I tend to imagine the beneficial possibilities instead of the others.  Smiley Happy

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit