cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highly Variable Download/Upload Speeds - Case # 45537635 - Need Help Reps and Champs!

Highly Variable Download/Upload Speeds - Case # 45537635 - Need Help Reps and Champs!

Since installation last year, my HughesNet Gen4 system has struggled to provide data throughput anywhere near the service limit I pay for. Earlier this week I bumped up my service from 15GB/15mbps to 20GB/20mpbs in the hope that a 33% increase in down/up speed might have a noticeable effect on my ability to web browse, watch Netflix, etc. but unfortunately no, that has not been the case. The problem, at least in my perception, is that the down/up speeds vary wildly, even from minute to minute. Over time it seems the speeds increase then decrease in a rough sine curve pattern. Truly, I can test download speeds and get variation of 1000% or more between high and low data transmission speeds. Yesterday, the speed ranged from a low of 0.32mbps Down/3.36mbps Up at 10:36pm to a high of 4.46D/2.86U at 2:02pm. Today, so far, 2.21D/3.30U is the low and 14.04D/3.20U is the high. I've not yet seen anything close to the 20mbps I'm paying for. Unfortunately, most times I test speed I get between 1.00-3.00mbps, which is tough for any kind of high speed data transfer like Netflix or Amazon video. When it works, it seems to work great, but when it's slow, it's glacial at best. I'm using an HT1100 modem and a Linksys EA6500 AC1750 router. I'm using the system at my residence to connect several iPhones, iPads and Win 7/8 PCs. I've tested speeds with and without the wi-fi via direct cabling. Any support/assistance or other options to try and reduce the variability of download speed would be greatly appreciated! I've called several times in the past 30-60 days and I spent 59:54 on the phone with tech support earlier today. We were unable to achieve any lasting resolution, although the gentleman told me he would call me back if anyone came up with any other ideas that might fix the problem. Is there anything that can be done to limit the variability of the down/up speeds? Please know that I greatly appreciate anything you can do to help me with this issue. Thanks!
40 REPLIES 40
Honorary Alumnus

Re: Highly Variable Download/Upload Speeds - Case # 45537635 - Need Help Reps and Champs!

First off, are you using the Hughes speed test or that of a third party ?

Link to the Hughes test is here:

http://consumer.performancetests.hughesnet.com/

That test is set up to account for some "oddities" unique to a proxied  satellite connection.

Can you post a screenshot of your Hughes speed test results ?

example:

Much easier to read than a copy/paste text.

Re: Highly Variable Download/Upload Speeds - Case # 45537635 - Need Help Reps and Champs!

Here is a good example of what I'm talking about (taken from the HughesNet Speed Test App):

Date                    Download       Upload

1/4/2015 16:06    9769              973

1/4/2015 16:05    10607            918

1/4/2015 16:03    2241              1012

1/4/2015 13:44    12800             888

1/4/2015 13:42     4986              832

1/4/2015 13:17     1915              925

Not sure how to paste the graphic, but have that as well if that is easier/better to use. Just need to know how to paste it. Thanks!
Honorary Alumnus

Michael,

Here is a link on a How-To written by Melissa (one of the members here) that shows how to do a screenshot in Win7 and other methods if needed:

http://www.ricksyakshack.com/view_topic.php?id=9238&forum_id=73

Good write up. Thanks!
Honorary Alumnus

Melisa did do a good job of putting it in plain English.

There are other FAQ's/ How-to's there also:

http://www.ricksyakshack.com/view_forum.php?id=73

Your speeds are all over ....

Usually speed tests are done in a set of 5, done back-to-back, done 3 times in 24 hours.

The purpose is: Do your speeds suck all the time (indicative of a major system problem) or during a certain portion of the day or evening. (what they call Prime Time Congestion).

In the end, it does help "divide & conquer", to a point.

There are things that Hughes can do (and I think are doing, just to slowly) to tweak your connection or even change your gateway server to a less crowded one thereby improving performance.

The trick is .. you have to jump through some hoops.

Many of those hoops are the same as done by "phone support", the difference here is that the forum employees are located in the Hughes Germantown MD headquarters building.

Here on the forum, you have some experienced fellow users that will try to help "build a documented case" that can be expedited to whichever department is indicated, if it be a billing issue or Engineering.

It really helps the Hughes employees if they can ID your account by you posting a case number given you from a previous support attempt or the serial number from a sticker on your modems rear or bottom.

Thanks, Gwalk900. I think it's fair to say that the download speeds tend to vary up and down throughout the day. Honestly, I've never checked the elusive 2am - 8am bonus time...I have no idea what my speeds would look like at that time of the day. Probably need to set an alarm sometime just to see, I guess. I will plan to set up a testing plan to determine if I'm dealing with a Prime Time Congestion issue or something else. By the seat of the pants, it does not seem to be simply an issue of congestion; even on early Sunday morning (this morning), the numbers were all over the map.

I have seen no advantage to upping my service from 15GB/15mbps to 20GB/20mbps in terms of speed. With four connected kids, two of whom are at home on a regular basis, I need the 20GB more than the 20mbps, but I'd be happy with a consistent and regular 10mbps over a 0.5-18.0mbps swing range.

The numbers I posted show test results similar to what I see on a regular basis: look at the test results from 4:03pm and 4:05pm or between 1:42pm and 1:44pm. This is not unusual here, i.e. all over the place.

My HT1100 modem's S/N is B3 0010272523 A3. My case number is #45537635. I'm using a Linksys EA6500 AC1750 router.

Interestingly enough, my wife's company has IT folks supporting DOE in Germantown...I wonder if some of her folks know some of the HN tech folks out there. Might make sense to host a lunch for them sometime soon. Know any good places to eat, talk tech and make friends in G-town? :-)

Maybe this is what PTC looks like at 7:00om ET...