cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highly Variable Download/Upload Speeds - Case # 45537635 - Need Help Reps and Champs!

Re: Highly Variable Download/Upload Speeds - Case # 45537635 - Need Help Reps and Champs!

At least it's consistently bad... This just seems exceptionally low for 20mbps service.

Re: Highly Variable Download/Upload Speeds - Case # 45537635 - Need Help Reps and Champs!

7:00pm I should say...

Honorary Alumnus

Michael,

Keep in mind that a Hughes connection is "shared" on at least two levels:

#1:Your beam and local gateway only has so much thruput , the more people connected doing .. whatever .. at given moment ... will alter the available bandwidth to the others ..

#2: The same principle applies but at a smaller scale to your own network. Your own "data pipe" can convey X amount of data (X varies with gateway load), if you have just one device connected (ideally directly) you will get all of X. if you have two devices, then each gets (assuming no different hardware issues) (gee, I hate disclaimers) X divided by two.

Malware can enter into the picture, with a single computer having 65,536 comm ports, most of which are "invisible" ... there can be a high probability of "something" (good or bad) using the connection at the same instant.

Example: A browser uses port 80, you can see the result of port 80 being open, because you are "on the Internet", beyond that .. an email client program like Outlook or Thunderbird will use two more, one each for incoming and out going mail.

That leaves a BUNCH of possible "back channel" usage ... and that is with just a single computer connected.

Each device will compete for, and get its "piece of the action".

Honorary Alumnus

It does but we need to help build a "linear" case for gateway congestion and have Hughes make either tweaks or effect a gateway change ....

Hey, building cases is what we are here for !

Amanda ?

Hello Michael,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting and working with Gwalk900. He's correct in requesting speed tests, those help us with these kind of cases. With that out of the way, we'll run remote diagnostics on your site to check the HughesNet equipment and ability to communicate with the satellite. We'll post back once we have an update for you or additional questions.

Thanks,
Liz
Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

I'm working on getting a decent set of test data for you to review. What I'm seeing tonight is ranging all over the map in terms of download speeds...like ALL OVER the map.

Thanks, Michael. To clarify, these tests have been run while directly connected to the modem? If you are able, could you get some test in the morning and/or midday as well? Your remote diagnostics came back OK, so I just wanted to be sure before I escalate your case.

Thanks,
Liz
Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Liz - Thanks so much for your help. It may be the weekend before I can get the test numbers you're needing. I will get them and post as soon as I can. Thanks again!

No worries Michael, your assistance greatly helps, thank you. Looking forward to getting them.

-Liz

Liz, I had time to get some additional test results today. Weather conditions for the earlier tests were clear with temps between 5 and 40 degrees Fahrenheit. The evening tests were conducted in rainy weather with a air temp of 32 degrees F. Tests were conducted with a direct wire to the modem. Performance is based on 20GB/20kbps service.