Horrible Speeds at all times of the day and night with or without data

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sheem2153
Freshman

Horrible Speeds at all times of the day and night with or without data

I was told prior to installation of this service that I could expect speeds of 1-3 MBps even after our data cap had been reached. Our 20 GB of data is gone within 4-5 days. That is with all updates turned off on all devices within the home. Do we have a data leech somewhere within the home, possible but even after our data is gone the speed is anywhere from 500kbps to 800kbps. That is even during our Bonus Data time which we still have plenty of data. just attempting to watch Netflix is torture at these speeds. 2 minutes of video and buffer for 30-45 seconds. I was not told at time of purchase that these would be my speeds. The service is useless as it stands and I'm quite ready to cancel my service. I understand that the dish on my home is an investment that your company needs to recoup. You can have that thing back and I will have my roof repaired at my own expense! Paying your service $400 fee after only 2 billing cycles in Robbery! 

16 REPLIES 16
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Before the reps can help you, you will need to run speed tests from Testmy.net and post the link to the results. You will also have to run a modem isolation test, as described here.  Without the tests, they're unable to help you find the problems and fix them. If you're unwilling to go through the necessary and required troubleshooting, you will need to pay the $400 to cancel the service.  

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

Why would i run a modem isolation test when the amount of data used isnt in question. The speed that i am able to run after the data cap has been reached are what are in question. If I cant achieve 1-3 MBPS after the data cap is reached then the service is useless once the data cap is reached. Which then becomes a money makeing scheme for them by selling me data tokens to reach the 25MBPS stated. Even during the Bonus Data time frames with 30gb left the speed is roughly 500Kbps to 800Kbps.

@sheem2153

Your original post was a little confusing. Are you trying to say:
a) Your plan isn't big enough to support the amount of data you use?
b) That you have a data leak eroding your Anytime plan data?
c) You have a speed issue?

d) All of the above?

Typically when people complain about speeds it's because they've used all of their Anytime data and have gotten throttled, so I'm pretty sure @maratsade assumed b), which was appropriate.

However, if you are getting less than 1Mbps between 2-8am (when the Bonus period is active), then there's clearly a technical issue that needs to be looked into.

How are you determining the speeds you're getting? The preferred method is by doing a 25MB Download test on TestMy. Since you're out of Anytime data, best to do this before 8am while you're supposed to be unthrottled during the Bonus period as a quick check, and post a link of your results here.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Why should I only do this during 2am-8am. My issue is that during the anytime time frame that I should get 1-3 Mbps on a single device as I was promised. 

https://testmy.net/db/g8o2g-1yb

yet another test. All of this done with a single device connected to the service. No other devices connected to hog bandwidth.

@sheem2153 wrote:

yet another test.

again, not before 8am.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Again Im not worried about speeds between 2 am and 8am. That time is a seperate issue that i will address after i have had time to run tests if i get up at that time of the day. I should be able to get 1-3 Mbps even during the congestion periods or they should have stated during the account setup that once you reach your data cap you will experience up to 1Mbps bandwidth. With that bandwidth being split between all devices on the network. It really does not matter what the speed is between 2-8am when the issue at hand is the throttling speed during regular hours. Yes I understand that you want to know if I can get 25mbps during 2 am and 8am to determine if their is an issue with total bandwidth and without even performing speed test during that time I am still not seeing the speeds im supposed to. I have 20 gb left in bonus data at 4 am this morning i couldnt watch netflix with buffering every 2 minutes for 45seconds or more. With no devices on the net I should not see any buffering at 4am.

maratsade

I think you're not understanding what @MarkJFine is asking or his reasons for requesting the test during bonus time. 

GabeU

@sheem2153

FAP speed is not guaranteed.  It is typically between 1-3Mbps, but again, the speed cannot be guaranteed.  The following is the information on the HughesNet Gen5 Fair Access Policy (FAP), including information regarding the speed when subject to such.  

http://legal.hughesnet.com/FairAccessPolicyGen5.cfm

With regard to running out of data after just a few days, there are many things that can use data without you being aware of it.  The following two posts may help...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/HughesNet-Data-Management-Tips-n-Tricks-How-To-Elimi...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Understanding-data-usage-data-loss-and-connection-pa...

In order to demonstrate that the speeds are an issue during the Bonus Zone, speed tests will need to be run during that time, as stated.  They will also need to be run in a specific way.  The following is the protocol for the speed tests.  Please make sure to run the tests under an account that you have created so that all test results will be saved, and can be looked at, in a single location.  Please be sure to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem while running the tests.  Please also be sure to use the test sizes listed in bold.  

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed
-use the manual 25MB size download test file 

-If testing upload instead of download, please use the manual 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx  (due to being an older page, the test sizes are incorrect for Gen5 (please use the test sizes listed above, in bold, for Gen5))

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you are unaware of how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?" in this PDF.  Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).  

I'll say it a third time, just so I'm perfectly clear: Your claim is 'all times of the day and night'.

I also said that if you're seeing under 1Mbps before 8am there is clearly a technical issue with your system that likely needs to be repaired. It could be a problem with the modem. It could be a problem with the dish alignment.

The implication is that if there is such a technical issue it also could be affecting your speed while you're throttled during the day. The problem is that there are way too many other things happening to determine that. I'm simply trying to isolate those variables to better determine what's going on. Doing this test at that time will help to better parameterize it.

Of course, if you're reluctant, I guess I'll just stop.

GabeU

Might it be a good idea to move this thread to Tech Support?

@Liz

@Amanda

@Brooke

@Hardy

@Hal

Yup... I'm done.

Hello sheem2153, thank you for reaching out to us. I was able to locate your account, and in addition to Gabe and Mark's responses, I'd like to make one additional comment. Your speeds are shared among your devices, so if there's any that are idle and not in use, it's best to shut it completely down. Not only will this prevent any data from being used in the background (meaning more data for you to use at your expense), but your speeds will be divided between less devices. This still won't guarantee your speeds, but it will help.

I know that may sound ridiculous to some people, but a few years back when I lived with my brother (in the suburban area with a cable internet provider) I use to always keep my computer on. I had learned later on that this was affecting our internet and so I started shutting it down whenever I wasn't using it, and noticed it had helped. 

Hope this helps!

-Brooke

Hi Sheem, I haven't heard back from you, I hope all is well. I'm going to close this thread due to inactivity, but please feel free to start a new thread if you need any help in the future! 

Thank you. 

-Brooke

@sheem2153 wrote:

https://testmy.net/db/gFLhZtHn_

Understand, but that was done a 3pm while you are still throttled. Need you to show between 2-8am, if possible.

Please know that regardless what was said about it being 1-3Mbps, the throttle is basically set to be up to 3Mbps. In theory, that still includes what you're seeing given any kind of network congestion.

I'm trying to see what happens when there's no throttle and little to no congestion, which is typical of a Bonus period.