Horrible Speeds on Gen 5

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jebarnette
Sophomore

Horrible Speeds on Gen 5

I had previously posted a couple of weeks ago about constant uplink errors occuring. In which no solution was found i decided to change to Gen 5 to get better speeds and possibly fix these issues. The previous uplink errors have NOT been fixed and the speeds i'm getting are worse than gen 4. I'm constantly sitting at around 150kbps - 1.5 mbps. I'm not in FAP mode and i've gotten the same speeds hooked directly into the modem. 

I understand that speeds are not guaranteed on satellite however they should at least be within the ball park? Especially when im paying more than before for Gen 5 over Gen 4. Screenshot_3.png

31 REPLIES 31
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

The speed of 150Kbps to 1.5Mbps is all day, not just during the peak usage period?  No, speeds aren't guaranteed, but speeds that low are definitely a problem.   

Can you post the link to your testmy.net results so that they can be viewed?  

What Satellite Name and Beam ID does it show in the Satellite box on the System Information page?   

For roughly an hour or two after the install i got 11-15mbps.

EchoStar-17-NAD and Beam 40

http://testmy.net/quickstats/jebarnette

I haven't done many tests, but all the ones I have done have been pretty horrible. 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Unfortunately, the reps won't be back on until Monday, and the uplink issues are something that they, themselves, will have to address.    

I'd suggest getting a few more tests in at testmy in the meantime.  And I know they'll take forever, but try some get some manual 25MB download tests in, as this is the size they normally ask for and which the engineers need.  

And I know from what you mentioned in your other thread that connecting via LAN cable is difficult, but the possiblity of the low speed being a result of the WiFi has to be ruled out.  Not that this is necessarily what's happening (and I doubt it is), but it still needs to be made sure of.  

If the uplink errors are causing issues, one thing you can try, other than power cycling the modem (unplugging it, waiting a minute, then plugging it back in), is turning off Web Acceleration.  I'll paste the procedure below.  

I really do wish I could do more.  I know that it's no fun having speeds so low.  I don't know if others will have any ideas of other things to try, but if they do I'm sure they'll say so.  Again, though, in the meantime, try to get a few of the manual 25MB download tests in, and make sure you're signed into testmy.net when you do them so they'll be saved.  I'll tag the reps so they'll be sure to see this thread.  @Liz @Amanda

Please follow the directions below to disable Web-Acceleration.

1: Visit http://192.168.0.1 in your web-browser.
2: Click the "i" icon at the top of the HT1100/2000w System Control Center (also known as the SCC).  It is highlighted in red in the image below.
photo skUivVb.png

3: Click on "Web Acceleration" then "Control" outlined in red.
photo jnchLQt.png

4: Click on "Web Acceleration Enabled", this will change to an orange button that says "Web Acceleration Disabled".
photo mQGk0j9

5: Restart your browser and try using the service that isn't working, please let us know how that works for you.

Understandable. I'll wait for their replies. Im directly connected to my router. Not through wifi. And ive tried directly connect to the modem as well. Ive also tried the web acceleration idea.
Thanks for the help. Sorry if my messages are poorly formated, using mobile.

Good morning Jebarnette,

Thank you for posting and sharing your testmy.net URL, looking forward to more more test results. I know your beam has had a readjustment a few weeks ago, so I've located your new SAN and escalated your case to engineering. Once I have any news to share I'll post back.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Good morning Liz,

Thanks again for your help, i'll await further information from you all. 

I'll try my best to do more tests.

Any updates on the situation at hand? It's been 3 days.

Hi Jebarnette,

Thank you for checking in, we're hoping for an update soon. We've inquired with management and are awaiting to hear the status on this general engineering update. 

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

I had to make a new email, so im not sure if this is appearing as the same person or not. The issue's are still persisting and its been 2 weeks since i've started this. Also my data seems to reset constantly, which i won't complain about. Since having infinite data would be a decent thing to have whilst having speeds dipping as low as 98kbps now. 

No worries, Jebarnette, you're still posting under the same username as when you first started your thread. Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I will send you a PM to further address your concerns.

Hello Liz, this is Jebarnette. Due to having a newer account set up they deleted my old one registered to my email. As such i had to make a new account. Would you please resend that email to this account - because i can't seem to log into my old one anymore because my old email doesnt exist. If you need proof of idenity, please only ask. 

Good morning Jon,

Thank you for the heads up. No worries, everyone who logs into the community is associated with their HughesNet e-mail address, and with that I can find the associated SAN. Just to clarify, did you want me to migrate your email from your old address to your new one?

Good morning to you as well. 

Very welcome, and sure just change that email over. And resend whatever email it was you sent to Jebarnette to me. Because i couldn't access my email before my login's changed over. 

Thanks for the confirmation. I didn't send you an email, but you might be referring to a notification email from the community that you may get whenever someone replies to your thread. I'll let you know once we've completed the email migration.

Oh, sorry. I meant the private message you mentioned earlier regarding my concerns. 

Hi Jon,

Sure I can resend whatever PM I've sent to you previously. 

About the e-mail migration, this process only migrates your old e-mail address to your new SAN, but it does not carry the e-mails over. I apologize for implying that we could move your e-mails from one account to another. If you still would like us to migrate your old e-mail address to your current SAN, please be sure to back your e-mail up first, as your emails will be cleared during the migration process. Let me know if/when you are ready for the e-mail migration process.

No worries it's not a big deal. I only used this email for hughesnet related things. Also any idea why my usage meter keeps reseting to full constantly?

OK, well if you ever want to bring that email over, just let me know.

Regarding your data resetting so often, I believe since you upgraded to Gen 5, you're within the first 20 days of relaxed bandwidth or unmetered data. This should be noted in your welcome email/order confirmation for Gen 5. It should say something similar to:

20 Unmetered Days
Your first 20 days of HughesNet won't count towards your service plan data! We
give you this unmetered time to download software updates that can use a lot of
data. Your data will automatically reset when depleted for the first 20 days only.
After this grace period, you’ll have the full amount of your service plan data to use
for the remainder of the month.

Hope that clears things up!

I hope you all had happy holidays.

Any update as of now?

Good morning Jon,

Thanks, I hope you had a good holiday weekend as well. As of now we don't have any news from engineering regarding speeds. Once we do have something we'll let you know.